3 MD TN counties among top 100 in growth

smeagolsfree

The Tennessean is reporting that Rutherford, Williamson , and Montgomery counties are in the top 100 fastest growing counties in the US. I dont think this is really any big surprise as all of the counties surrounding Nashville are growing fast. The only surprise to me is that they were not ranked higher. I will see if I can get the entire list and post it.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar.../603160379/1001

Here is the list

http://money.cnn.com/2006/03/15/real_estat...ng_US_counties/

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's very exciting news indeed! I'm proud of Rutherford County specifically, but it's wonderful for the other two counties as well. The rankings will probably fluctuate over time. It looks like from the list that our three Middle Tennessee counties are going up against a lot of counties in Florida and Georgia, which isn't too surprising.

Yeah, I noticed that about Georgia; Being from the Atlanta area, it never ceases to amaze me that those metro Atlanta counties continue to explode. How can they do that! And now Fulton is on the list?

I continue to be amazed at how many Memphis suburbanites move to Mississippi? Does Mississippi not have an income tax either?

Mississippi does have an income tax. Must be other factors at play that offset this consideration. Housing prices? Property taxes? Combined state and local sales tax rates? Could be lots of factors.

It's good to see economic development in the Nashville area counties, but I don't believe that upticks in population by themselves are good news. It's all about the density. I suspect most of the new folks in those counties are moving into new, sprawling subdivisions.

I continue to be amazed at how many Memphis suburbanites move to Mississippi? Does Mississippi not have an income tax either?

Yeah, DeSoto County MS was the 32nd fastest growing in the nation--faster than all southern counties outside of GA and FL, and one in NC. It's now the 3rd largest in MS, though the CA says it might be the 2nd largest due to the devastation of Biloxi. Plus, you can live in DeSoto and be 7 miles from downtown, whereas east Shelby county migh be 20 something miles.

While MS has an income tax, DeSoto's property tax rate is far, far lower than Shelby Co's which is by far (like double) the highest in TN. That, together with white flight out of Shelby and the Tunica boom, makes it grow. There was one year in those 2000-2005 estimates when Fayette CO was the fastest growing in the state. Who knows why that's not the case now.

This doesn't really belong on a Nashville subforum, now does it? :lol:

The county property tax rate for Shelby County is $4.09 per $100 of assessed value, only slightly higher than Davidson County ($4.04). For some reason, the county rate charged in Memphis is only $4.04, the same as Davidson. It's when you add the Memphis city rate (another $3.43) that it gets so much higher. The combined rate for Memphis is $7.47. The Metro Nashville/Davison County rate is $4.69 (lower in the general services district). So, Memphis is certainly the highest, but not quite double some others that are in or around the $5 range.

Interestingly, the rates for the other cities in Shelby County are much lower than Memphis, with combined rates ranging from $5.09 to $5.63. I'm sure this has contributed to the growth of Germantown, Lakeland, etc.

Here's the populations of the original 8 Nashville MSA counties plus Maury and Montgomery:

County..........2000 Census..2004 Est...2005 Est

Cheatham.........35,912......37,982......38,603

Davidson.........569,892....571,948.....575,261

Dickson.............43,156......45,366......45,894

Robertson..........54,433......59,197......60,379

Rutherford.......182,023....209,739.....218,292

Sumner...........130,449....141,732.....145,009

Williamson.......126,638....146,992.....153,595

Wilson...............88,809......97,793.....100,508

Sub-Totals....1,231,312..1,310,749..1,337,541

Maury...............69,498......74,738.......76,292

Montgomery....134,768.....141,806.....147,202

Totals...........1,435,578..1,527,293..1,561,035

These are what I would consider the "urbanized" areas of Middle Tennessee. I personally still think the US Census Bureau is grossly underestimating the population of Davidson County, while the other totals may be relatively accurate. Wilson County has reached a landmark of 100,000 and becomes the 5th Middle Tennessee county to do so. Population of these counties grew by 91,715 or slightly less than 23,000 per year for 2000 through 2004. The population increase for 2004 to 2005 was 33,742 or 2.2% for the year. Clearly population growth in the region is accelerating.

I've always disliked this 'skewed' list because of its bad math. Example: If a large development were dumped in Cheatham Co. that added 10,000 people, then that would be 25% growth. I like nbr 27 on the list - Spencer Co. KY, 811 residents added for 5.5% growth.

Rutherford is absorbing an impressive (scary?) amount of people. Wilson Co. could have the size and nbrs. to overtake the growth 'percentage' nbr one very soon

Archived