Frisco pictures?

greenlund

• 5 weeks later...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know that many appreciate the "Frisco" monicker. I've read many a lambaste from locals in response to its use.

I took these last Thanksgiving. Definitely nothing professional. I loved the city though.

Golden Gate Beach:

beach-sunset1.jpg

Pier 39:

fisher-sunset4.jpg

Trans-America:

transtower2.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

What are you talking about? Frisco is a suburb in the DFW metro area. :P

Seriously, though, I wonder if the Frisco of DFW was named that because of San Francisco? It's nothing like San Francisco, but I've wondered that for a while now anyway.

On this subject... I never liked Frisco or San Fran either, and I don't live there. San Francisco is just fine.

• 1 month later...

On this subject... I never liked Frisco or San Fran either, and I don't live there. San Francisco is just fine.
Most San Franciscans - especially the baby boomers - have always taken issue with the term "Frisco." Although they're not enamoured with "San Fran" either, they find it less offensive. As a resident myself, I fail to comprehend all the fuss. In fact, I find either nickname rather endearing. Do Philadelphians frown upon "Philly," or Angelinos upon "L A?" Just wonderin'...

That aside, here are three Frisco (there, I said it) downtown street scenes:

At the corner of Powell (a cable car street) and Ellis

dsc00171editedfr1.jpg

Busy intersection of 4th. and Market Sts.

dsc00135editedai3.jpg

Union Square - A major city landmark

dsc00143editedvy4.jpg

Most San Franciscans - especially the baby boomers - have always taken issue with the term "Frisco." Although they're not enamoured with "San Fran" either, they find it less offensive. As a resident myself, I fail to comprehend all the fuss. In fact, I find either nickname rather endearing. Do Philadelphians frown upon "Philly," or Angelinos upon "L A?" Just wonderin'...

But Angelinos and Philadelphians tend to have more of a sense of humor in general and to take themselves far less seriously than San Franciscans, after all <_<

During my many years there, though, people who said "Frisco" only bugged me beacuse they were so obviously semi-clueless tourists. It was just sort of mildly annoying like when people said "I was in Castro" or "I went to Haight" when they meant "THE Castro" or "THE Haight". It's that whole "trolley" vs. "cablecar" vs. "streetcar" effect, I guess.

Actually, the distaste for "Frisco" is even stronger among the generation that preceded the Boomers. Herb Caen wrote the book on the subject. Literally. It was called "Don't Call It 'Frisco"".

Archived