Durham Athletic Park & area redevelopment

JDC

The city of Durham is accepting proposals from developers for the old Durham Athletic Park and the Rolling Hills area near NC Central U. It appears the city would like to keep baseball happening at the DAP, but to also increase the use of the field for special events (including the World Beer Festival and Bull Durham Blues Festival, which are already held there annually).

LINK

• 1 month later...

I was quite happy to read that this weekend. That will get more people down to that part of town and give the old DAP a new life. The Central Park area is looking better all the time.

I only hope they can still fit in some of the festivals. Going to the Blues and Beer Festivals there is a blast. Would astroturf really be able to handle that kind of use?

I think AstroTurf is a pretty good idea for the DAP, but I don't know much about its durability for festivals. I'm sure with today's technology there's some kind of artificial surface that can handle heavy foot traffic.

I'd really love for the Central Park area to come to life. It's often overlooked (what with West Village, Brightleaf, and American Tobacco's successes), but it's the quirkiest area of town. The Liberty Warehouse houses some pretty neat businesses, but there's a gaping hole between the park itself and the only other signs of life along Foster Street (Manbites Dog Theatre, Claymakers, Central Park School). For a neighborhood that's included in what the city and DCVB call "downtown", it's really in need of a makeover.

Hopefully the DAP can be a catalyst for the area's success.

I haven't seen a Bulls game since they moved from the old stadium actually. My mom's company she works for was a sponser so we'd get free tickets in the "reserved" sections, but when they moved to the new stadium the company stopped being a sponser and she never took me there again. When did the Bulls move to the new stadium anyway? I'm thinking mid 90's because I'm thinking I was in middle school the last time I saw a game. I'd love to see a game in the "new stadium"....some day....

You haven't been to the DBAP yet? That's insane! The park is beautiful and the games are a blast. I've been to 5 or 6 and I've only been in the Triangle for 8 months. Of course, I live within walking distance. Tickets are cheap too: only $5-$9 bucks. Tuesday nights are two for one with a Harris Teeter VIC Card.

The DBAP is really nice, but I miss the general admission, bleacher section of the BAP. We'd tell people, "Yeah we'll meet you at the game." I haven't been the DBAP in a few seasons. I hear the french fries are horrible now, but the flying burrito is still going strong. One of those sausage burritos and a big draft beer...and I'm sleepin' in the guest room. whoo hooo!! :D

• 3 weeks later...

From the Herald-Sun

Steuver Bros Eccles & Rous (known locally for AmTobo phase 2) is interested in renovating the Old Durham Athletic Park and surrounding areas. This could be great for the area as it's location is right between the historic Trinity Park neighborhood and the Central Park/Warehouse districts.

I think this is very good and looks like a good company and will allow the park to stand. It is shame to tear down old parks, epecially ones with history. Good there could be a local team playing there. I played in the DAP years ago and it has a certain feel.

A little off subject but not sure if people here know about the Highbury Stadium redevelopment in London. Highbury, the famous old "Football" stadium of Aresenal, the premiership football/soccer team. They have left much of the stadium and turn the stands into Lofts with the "pitch"/field as the courtyard. See the website below.

"We all follow Arsenal, on to Victory....Go Gunners" :yahoo: ok sorry I digressed

http://www.thestadium-highbury.com/

I think this is very good and looks like a good company and will allow the park to stand. It is shame to tear down old parks, epecially ones with history.

Speaking of history, I'm glad the company that (hopefully) is doing it is the same one that's been renovating Fenway Park.

In november, I visited my ex-roommate who lived in what was Woolwich Arsenal, which gave that club its name. They have long since abandoned Woolwich, and there's no sign of the pitch they played on, but the arsenal and barracks themself have been converted into neat apartments/condos. Some of them look like the project in that link.

This area used to just tear down anything old, but luckily this has changed lately, with the DAP, American Tobacco, West Village, most of Glenwood south, etc.

She kids her students that she's an Arsenal fan because of it, being the "fish out of water American".

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

The article touched on it, but how are they going to redevelop the DAP and use it as a minor league training facility? I was sort of assuming they would have to either tear it all down or somehow incorporate part of the more historic elements (facade?) into a new structure where the field is now. Maybe (1) is lonerger term and (2) is short term.

The field area is fine-they would just need to do additional work to the bleachers. It would be a training facility for field crews and umpires so major changes to the facility are not necessary. The museum could easily be housed in one of the adjacent/nearby warehouses.