Durham Athletic Park & area redevelopment

JDC

I never really understood the point of things like this. Are there special development incentives in this area being floated? Or is it just a moniker to make people want to associate with the area? I agree all of downtown Durham has this cache going for it already

Partly branding, partly amenities. This development will include wet lab space etc. and Duke will most likely occupy a good portion. I don't know about any special tax rebates etc. associated with being in this "district". Just another piece in the puzzle (along with West Village, Main St. American Underground, ATHD, etc etc) of Durham becoming a smaller, urban RTP. 

• 1 month later...

The Liberty Warehouse is gone (block next to Surf Club, Motoco, Fullsteam). A few of the old walls are left.  Looks like another mega apartment complex is on its way.

Foster_Corporation_View.jpg

Foster_Park_View.jpg

Link: http://www.indyweek.com/indyweek/demolition-to-begin-this-spring-condos-and-retail-to-replace-former-tobacco-auction-house/Content?oid=3814555&utm_content=buffer72eef&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Edited by InitialD

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I love the design of this building.  The windows...god I hope they don't get value-engineered out.  It's a pretty fantastic design for Durham.  Correct me if I am wrong, this and the mid-rise apartment building next door will only take up half of the entire site?  I wonder what will come to the other half. 

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, mattncsu said:

Website up for the site has a nice video that seems to show potential for more buildings if planning/development goes well.
555 Mangum St.

I have a faint memory of this entire block being envisioned as a big mixed use, denser new urban project. I had assumed that plan was being parceled out to various developers who had different specialties, e.g. office, residential etc. I was hoping to see a master plan made public at some point, but 555 was the first thing to pop up...

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

These are coming out of the ground:

IMG_2007.JPG.dfcfd97cf431176ada19b524aa280ea7.JPG

IMG_2008.JPG.ef1ed9802e2f2cb9c123f66f85d1378a.JPG

IMG_2009.JPG.f25ce812c6394c6db5ea30547897efaf.JPG

The building in the background is the partially complete, partially under construction apartment building The Mark.  http://themarkatdurham.com/  "Live to make an impression."  Formerly Hendrick Durham Auto Mall.   Not quite the same caliber as the renderings for 555 Mangum and Van Alen:

IMG_1998.JPG.dd439be3109688a66e6ecfc2039fec2a.JPG

It's hard to believe how different this area will be once these are all complete.

• Like 3

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...