T.F. Green Airport Developments

Frankie811

Gotta love this:

The city, in its report, said that lengthening the runway could be self-defeating for T.F. Green. If it brings the influx of passengers the FAA foresees, it said, the airport could become too crowded, producing baggage, ticketing, security and takeoff delays.

Delays can be dealt with at the proper times, but hey, if the bottom line is that you really don't have any use for the extra money in Warwick, just say so.

My head hurts.

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gotta love this:

Delays can be dealt with at the proper times, but hey, if the bottom line is that you really don't have any use for the extra money in Warwick, just say so.

My head hurts.

One reason the terminal is being rennovated right now is to deal with delays.

In addition, if Warwick actually read the plans (which are on the EIS wbesite), they would see the plan is to expand the terminal as well. :rofl:

not to mention that the airfield is only at 60% capacity without even having full length paralell taxiways to either runway, high speed turn-offs, or a lobger runway. I think the city is simply implementing a stall tactic plan at this point. Resurrcting the Quonset debate is simply a waste of time.

The cargo actvity at PVD consists of about 10 operations a day (weekdays only at that). Moving such a small amount of flights to OQU is a masive waste of money on improving that airport to handle the cargo birds. I also don't see FEDEX, UPS, or DHL moving thier sort operations from Warwick to NK. I'm dying to see what the NK residents have to say about this idea. Warwick is about to piss off a fellow town that is full of high-class heavyweights. Great job Scott, thanks for shooting yourself in the foot (again) and proving how uneducated you and your staff appear to be on such an 'important' topic to the city of Warwick.

Just shows you how dumb the City of Wariwck can be...

http://www.projo.com/westbay/content/projo...ay.2c27700.html

My e-mail to them:

Dear Providence Journal Staff,

Regarding this story: http://www.projo.com/westbay/content/projo...ay.2c27700.html

Either the writer or the City of Warwick has made a large error. The 737-300 does indeed exist, but it is not new and there is no ER version. In addition, the 757-200 is not new either, and Boeing has recently stopped production of this aircraft. The city could possibly be referring to the new 737-900ER.

Warwick may be using these examples, however, because both the 733 and the 752 are not able to be upgraded with blended winglets for greater range and fuel efficiency. (This is why the Southwest aircraft can reach Vegas earlier, because their 737-700s have winglets.)

A simpe Google search could have confirmed all of this information. Perhaps the Journal and/or the City of Wariwck should be more clear or check their facts.

Thank you,

Daniel Webb

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the 757-200 does take blended winglets. I just saw an American 757 in St. Lucia with 'em

Okay, fine, move more freight operations to Quonset, they have a good rail link there now thanks to the FRIP, and good highway access thanks to the Route 403 relocation in progress. This still doesn't help the fact that Greene needs runway extensions to improve PASSENGER travel. What is Warwick trying to say with this?

The City of Warwick just dosen't get it. TF Green is there to stay. Get over it!

http://www.projo.com/ri/warwick/content/pr...ay.2c27700.html

I wouldn't say its the city. I believe most of the people living in Warwick realize how important Green is to our RI economy.

It's the mayor! To quote Blazing Saddles, "(Mr. Avedisian) is the leading ass hole in the state!" He doesn't get it.

Does anyone know where the airport will expand to???? I live between Strawberry Field and Main on the Post Road side and want to see if I will be moving when the expansion begins.

I already replied to your post with the exact same question in another thread.

I don't know if people realize how many room nights flight crews take up which would explain the growth in the Warwick/West Warwick area. Crews stay at the downcity Holiday Inn almost every night. Does anyone know if Warwick hotels/motels are still offering the stay and park deal where you can leave your car in their lot if you stay in their hotel and fly.

That is part of the City of Warwick's marketing campaign and is very successful. It will be around for the forseeable future AFAIK.

Does anyone know where the airport will expand to???? I live between Strawberry Field and Main on the Post Road side and want to see if I will be moving when the expansion begins.

The EIS process will determine the 'preffered alternative' (out of several options being studied) which will have the least environmental impact on the areas around the airport. I would venture to guess that most of the expansion will go to the SE across Main Ave. and possible the NW end near KFC. No one knows for sure until the process is further along.

The City of Warwick just dosen't get it. TF Green is there to stay. Get over it!

http://www.projo.com/ri/warwick/content/pr...ay.2c27700.html

In Warwick's defense, the city should be better compensated with airport revenue. Manchester's airport is owned by the city, not the state, and so when the airport expanded its runways years ago, there really wasn't much opposition, because the city, not the state, is seeing all the benefits (profits) that come with expansion.

In Warwick's defense, the city should be better compensated with airport revenue. Manchester's airport is owned by the city, not the state, and so when the airport expanded its runways years ago, there really wasn't much opposition, because the city, not the state, is seeing all the benefits (profits) that come with expansion.

Actually, it is illegal for airport revenues/profits to go anywhere other than the airport. Its part of FAA federal grant requirements.

In addition, the governor now gives extra money to Warwick to help cover the lost tax revenue.

Actually, it is illegal for airport revenues/profits to go anywhere other than the airport. Its part of FAA federal grant requirements.

Sorry, I picked that up from a recent Projo article on Manchester

http://www.projo.com/news/content/projo_20...ir.31bad44.html

"Manchester airport is a municipal airport, and is technically a department of the City of Manchester. It makes money for the city, and the two work hand in hand. Warwick, on the other hand, receives little direct financial benefit from the airport (although Governor Carcieri has a bill in the legislature to increase Warwick's compensation) and has been the biggest opponent of airport expansion."

-I'm assuming they must be referring to some more indirect financial benefits.

yeah right, then all the taxes they receive from the hotels and nearby industrial areas should go to, let's see, Central Falls!! they are all located there because Warwick is such a great city? They have a state built fire station, increased tax base and because there is noone living in one square mile of their fair city, they have fewer students and less need of all the other services that population would need. their city owned park is not equal to either Pawtuckets Slater Park and obviously not equal to RWP. Their open space is quite realistically T.F. Green Airport. do I feel sorry? not to a bunch of whiners! So how do I really feel?

Mark

don't forget that Warwick doesn't have to maintain, plow, or repair over 1200 acres of roads and pick-up trash from the land the airport occupies. They are already given 500K for Police and Fire services too.

Revenues taken in by Airports that receive FAA grant money is required to be put back into airport purposes - not padding city coffers.

edited to correct it to 1200 acres (not 120) - oops!

As they oppose airport expansion.... :rofl:

I find it quite amusing. Warwick needs to get a reality check...it is a suburb OF Providence...people do not fly to "Warwick" - it is not a destination...Providence is. One of many examples: I fly to Baltimore-not the little city the airport sits in.

They need to embrace the role they play as an air transporation center for the PROVIDENCE Metro.

yeah right, then all the taxes they receive from the hotels and nearby industrial areas should go to, let's see, Central Falls!! they are all located there because Warwick is such a great city? They have a state built fire station, increased tax base and because there is noone living in one square mile of their fair city, they have fewer students and less need of all the other services that population would need. their city owned park is not equal to either Pawtuckets Slater Park and obviously not equal to RWP. Their open space is quite realistically T.F. Green Airport. do I feel sorry? not to a bunch of whiners! So how do I really feel?

Mark

One correction...the city fire station was on airport property in a state building. The fire apparatus was moved when the city built a new station 1/2 mile up the road 6 years ago....with city bond issue monies.

Warwick seems to have the old NE view of life...they resist that they are part OF the Providence metro and cling to being "separate".

I find it quite amusing. Warwick needs to get a reality check...it is a suburb OF Providence...people do not fly to "Warwick" - it is not a destination...Providence is. One of many examples: I fly to Baltimore-not the little city the airport sits in.

They need to embrace the role they play as an air transporation center for the PROVIDENCE Metro.

Glen Burnie, Maryland

The airport for Cincinnatti isn't even in Ohio!!! (It's in Kentucky)

Archived