How 2 get socially involved?

Reality

I was wondering how an earthly individual like myself could get involved in the social changes of the urban community? Even though I haven't gone 2 school 4 this it would be nice 2 know where 2 start, and how it plays a major part in urban planning and development....

Alexandria VA

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reality, I guess it depends on what aspects of your community you wish to be involved in.

If planning is your thing, go to your town planning board meetings, redevelopment authority meetings, and if your town council is discussing planning issues on a given night then go to the council meeting. Cities are required to have public meetings when preparing a redevelopment plan, so take advantage! Listen to the concerns of the authority and any developers as well as residents of the affected areas, and don't be afraid to voice your opinions. Often these public meetings take the form of a charette, where members of the public get involved in planning what they want their neighborhoods to look like. They're interesting and fun events.

If education is your thing, go to school board meetings. Mentor kids at local schools or in after school programs.

If housing is your thing, find out if your town has an affordable housing commission and see what they're up to.

Find out about local political candidates and if you believe that one may honestly engender change in your community you could volunteer for his/her campaign.

"social changes in the urban community" is a broad concept. LOTS of different things bring about changes to these communities. I say find something that interests you and that you think you can contribute to and get involved in it!

IMO, the best start you can make is grassroots--getting involved in your own community!

Thanx 4 the info homie. I think planning is a good way 2 create social change in the urban community where there is little 2 offer, but since I'm sort of new 2 this it would be nice 2 know where 2 go, or if any individuals are working on a project that I can become a part of in an effort 2 improve the social structure of the comunity. I need 2 hook up with someone.

Thanx 4 the info homie. I think planning is a good way 2 create social change in the urban community where there is little 2 offer, but since I'm sort of new 2 this it would be nice 2 know where 2 go, or if any individuals are working on a project that I can become a part of in an effort 2 improve the social structure of the comunity. I need 2 hook up with someone.

If you go to the planning board and redevelopment authority meetings in your town you'll see all of the major players in your area. The municipal agencies and developers that make things happen will be there. You can ask questions during the meeting, and approach them afterward about your interest in getting involved. Depending upon your age, qualifications, etc., there could be a job or volunteer position available for you in your town. The first planning work I ever did was as a volunteer, arranging information brochures to educate the public about a new redevelopment plan.

Archived