Should Lansing have it's own Forum?

MJLO

Would a Lansing Subforum work?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. what do you think?

• yes, lansing would attract new members if it were it's own entity.
    • no, I think it's better suited where it's at.

I've been watching the Mid-Michigan Forum alot lately and have noticed, how active and tenacious Lmich and Hood are about, promoting Lansing and making sure all news and developements are kept up to date. I think you guys have done a great Job over the past many months and just wanted to give a shout out. Now I have no idea how it works of course, since sometimes i still forget how to turn my computer on, but Do you think that a Lansing subforum would be self sustaining? I think it could, I think it could also attract more people from lansing interested in the Developements and goings on! When I think of Mid-Michigan, I really don't think of lansing, I think of Bay City, Saginaw, Midland, and Flint. Anyone out there with me?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it's so much a question of if a Lansing subforum would be self sustaining, because until recently Lansing made up all the activity in the Mid Michigan forum. It's a question of if the other mid michigan cities justify their own forum. I would say that if activity comtinues for flint that the forums should be seperated, although I wouldn't argue with them being divided up now.

I'm also nearly indifferent, though, I'm leaning slightly towards the idea that things are working the way they are. I'm not sure, though. We are getting more Lansing forumers by the month, and some relatively active ones, so it could go either way. But again, it's not much of a big deal to me either way.

It might work. There weren't many Lansing discussions at all until Lansing was included in the Mid Michigan forum. Who knows how much it would grow with it having its own forum.

Although with almost all of the posts being about Lansing for the last few months until very recently, I'm not sure it would make much of a difference.

Edit: On second thought, I don't think Lansing deserves its own forum until LMich gets an avatar. You've been here a year with nearly 1700 post and no avatar? Come on! :P

Hey MJLO, I pretty much agree with you except for the Mid-Michigan comment. I think Lansing should have their own forum, but I've never really considered Flint to be part of Mid-Michigan. Mid-Michigan to me is Lansing, Jackson, and Mount Pleasant. Flint is more East Michigan, along with Port Huron, Lapeer, and the Tri-Cities. If Lansing has a seperate forum, then maybe more people like me will get off their butts, get involved and contribute more often to the Flint-Tri-Cities (East Michigan) forum.

If we are to try this out, the most difficult thing will be the names. I hear that Flint/Saginaw refers to itself as "Mid-Michigan" in it's media, as does Lansing. I'd proposed the Lansing forum either be named "Lansing-East Lansing," "Lansing Metro," or "Mid-Michigan." And I agree, Flint/Saginaw could be "East Michigan," or "Metro Flint/Tri-Cities."

Metro Lansing - The Capitol, East Lansing and alike

Flint, and the Tri-Cities - The birthplace of General Motors

This is where my vote goes to :) , to me calling Flint and the tri-cities, east Michigan is to generic. Since it's not commonly refered to in the media outlets as such. I think if we'd like to see the forums grow we should do it by something more common, that way people searching would easier come by it. Or perhaps it's just that when I, and Most people think of East Michigan They associate it with Metro Detroit and there's already a forum for that.

I would love to see a seperate ''Metro Flint'' forum someday because I think Flint needs its own identity and individuality. I suggested East Michigan because even though it may be generic, I believe Mid-Michigan is as well. By referring to the Flint area as East Michigan, you're at least seperating yourself from the Lansing area and creating more of an identity. Detroit could be Southeast Michigan or Metro Detroit, Flint could be East Michigan. Just like on the west side of the state, people refer to Kalamazoo as Southwest Michigan and Grand Rapids is considered West Michigan. Just a thought. :thumbsup:

I must confess to being somewhat of a lurker these past couple years, but I thought I'd weigh in on this. Lansing deserves its own forum, not just because it is the capitol as well as a wholly independent region, but also because its urban growth and vision is downright impressive. I lived in East Lansing for most of my life, but 4 years ago moved to London, UK to go to university. I've been kept up to date with the goings-on in Lansing through this website and I have to say, even as a Londoner, what Lansing is doing is spectacular. I'm moving back in June after I finish school and have to say, LMich and Hood etc. have made me feel a lot better about coming home. I thought I would hate the idea of leaving a city like London and returning to Lansing, but (maybe sadly) I am almost excited to come back and be part of the renewal that is going on. I know this is a bit long-winded, but all this is to say, I think what is happening right now in the Lansing area merits its own discussion forum. Look around at other cities on UrbanPlanet--you will be hard pressed to find one with as much going on as Lansing, especially in relation to its size.

The second reason I vote for Lansing's own forum is for personal convenience. I log on here specificially for Lansing, and (again, perhaps sadly) check it a couple times a day for updates. When I come I want to quickly glance and see if anything new has been posted, and it makes it more difficult when a new post from Flint, etc. is there. I have to take a minute to scroll through and see if there is anything from Lansing, and sometimes determine if an ambiguous title (ie names of developments) even have anything to do with Lansing. If there was a dedicated Lansing area (and likewise for Flint and Tri-Cities) there wouldn't be confusion or the inconvenience of having to sort through posts that don't interest you.

For all these reasons, yes, Lansing needs its own forum.

On a totally unrelated note, I look forward to joining in the discussion. I figured after feasting on your knowledge for a couple years I should sign up and say hi--especially now that I am coming back to L-Town.

Metro Lansing - The Capitol, East Lansing and alike

Flint, and the Tri-Cities - The birthplace of General Motors

This is where my vote goes to :) , to me calling Flint and the tri-cities, east Michigan is to generic. Since it's not commonly refered to in the media outlets as such. I think if we'd like to see the forums grow we should do it by something more common, that way people searching would easier come by it. Or perhaps it's just that when I, and Most people think of East Michigan They associate it with Metro Detroit and there's already a forum for that.

I second this. Flint and the Tri-cities make sense to be clumped together and Lansing is overwhelming the Mid-Michigan forum it is hard to find Flint stuff.

Archived