Myers Park / Eastover Projects

atlrvr

I don't think there is a thread dedicated to this area of town, so now there is. :)

There are lots of projects going on, but here are three that will break ground soon...

626 Queens - On Queens Road between Baxter and Morehead. Site work has already begun, and should start to go vertical soon.

Here is the website with a rendering. I'm not crazy about this one.

420 Queens - Located on Queens Road between 3rd and Baxter, this one was proposed a couple of years ago, but never happened. It has been revived by a former protege of David Furman. It's an odd site plan, and an even odder rendering (can't understand why they wouldn't just get Risden to do it).

There is still an apartment building on the site, but expect it to be demolished in the next month.

Website with rendering is here.

Roswell Place - This one is located on Roswell Road between Queens and Queens Rd. E/W. I believe they have already started demolition of the existing apartment building for this one, but I haven't been by there in about a month.

The only large rendering I can find is on the listing agent's website here. I kind of dig it.

One other project that hasn't recieve much attention is the Brian Speas project on Fenton Place in Elizabeth. Located next to The Crillon and across the street from Speas' Fenton Place Condos. This baby has a tower crane and they are pouring concrete on the 3rd Floor. I have no idea what this will look like, but his projects are usually high quality......construction photos anyone?

Also, anyone feel free to post the renderings that I mentioned. I'm technologically challanged (or lazy).

Edited by atlrvr

• 2 weeks later...

It is actually really interesting to me that Myer's Park residents seem to let these infill projects go on without comment. Think about the Carmel/Colony project and the opposition from its neighborhood. Dozens of denser projects are happening in Myer's Park without any of that types of opposition. Yet they do oppose the mcmansions.

I think both positions are good for the city. We need our historic neighborhood, and we need increased population density in the central part of the city.

I'm not sure on the stucco, but that design looks pretty nice.

It is actually really interesting to me that Myer's Park residents seem to let these infill projects go on without comment. Think about the Carmel/Colony project and the opposition from its neighborhood. Dozens of denser projects are happening in Myer's Park without any of that types of opposition. Yet they do oppose the mcmansions.

I think both positions are good for the city. We need our historic neighborhood, and we need increased population density in the central part of the city.

I'm not sure on the stucco, but that design looks pretty nice.

A few of these use some high quality materials. Take St. Serrant for instance, the exterior is made of imported limestone from Italy.

• 5 months later...

Well.....Brian Speas of Carnegie is gearing up for his third project in Eastover. His next project is to be located at the corner of Fenton and Cherokee (NW corner).

I believe it will be 5 stories and have approx. 20 units....I'm still searching for a rendering....I think I like the density of Fenton, and actually think that all roads that connect Providence to Cherokee should be allowed to be developed at multifamily upto either 17 or 22 units per acre.

• 4 months later...

Doug Smith's article in today's observer was about a new condo building in Myers Park. It will be at 511 Queens Rd, and replace an aparment building. I actually really like the existing building. It's a good modern style building, though does look out of place on Queens Rd. This new thing looks just like every other MP condo building.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/16462675.htm

:( I have always liked this building too. It has a cool edgy feel. Several interesting and older apt buildings along that section of Queens have been knocked down and been replaced by annoyingly formulaic condos in the past few years. And this place is simply the next to fall. At least it had some personality. The replacement will just have the same uninspired boring brickwork and trim that replicates virus like all over South Charlotte, exactly the same as the other two condo projects coming up across the street!

I noticed this week that several houses along Providence past The Rosewood site have been completely gutted. They all seem to be in the process of demolition. Does anyone know what's going on? I am thinking that they may be replaced by townhomes or condos.

Drove by today and 2 of the houses are now piles of rubble, appears that 2 more are next.

• 1 month later...

I am curious about the gated community along Queens Road located up from the East/Kings/Queens intersection. It seems to be the only one in Myers Park and I wonder how it got approved? The neighborhood was originally conceived as traditional and interconnected city suburb. Was there a fight over it? The development does not seem that old and someone told me it is age restricted. Anyone know?

• 3 months later...