Myers Park / Eastover Projects

atlrvr

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, J-Rob said:

Luxury Condos going at the corner of Cherokee and Providence, per article.  Looking at a map, I think it might actually be where Cherokee meets Laurel.

Definitely looks like Cherokee and Laurel.  That's a great location. 

Is this the project that everyone was worried might take out The Manor, Laurel Market, etc?  

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The Manor Theater will not re-open after the virus epidemic.

The mini-shopping center the Manor was a part of always stuck me as an under-use of the location, between Myers Park and Eastover.  I don't know how the ownership of the shopping center is split up.  Nor do I know offhand what kind of density would be permitted by zoning.  But it seems to me a mid-rise luxury condo, atop a combination of structured parking and retail/restaurant, would make sense.  Probably a great view of Uptown from 5th floor and above.

Edited by southernnorthcarolina
  • Sad 3

that is sad to me to see the Manor theater close and I hope nothing happens to that shopping center.  at least keep the character of the center as that is high barrier to enter high income area the space would be desired by many retailers I would think.

• Like 4

On 2/16/2018 at 8:38 AM, sakami said:

There are rumors stirring around the neighborhoods that a 10-story residential building with some retail will be taking the block on Providence with Laurel Market, Starbucks, Manor Theatre, Blossom Shop and HSM. From what I can find in the tax records all of these buildings are owned by Eastern Federal (I can't find the sale of the Starbucks and Laurel Market buildings but heard it from a reliable source). The owner assembling the property is Eastern Federal, the same owner of the Martha Washington apartments in Elizabeth under contract by Pulte. Building tenants are sharing this news with customers.  

Haven’t seen my source on the above recently to check in with her about this but I’m confident the ownership hasn’t changed since 2018. 

There will be pearl-clutching.  But not from me.  Not that I wear pearls.

Years ago, I lived  within two blocks of the Manor.  Never saw the inside of it, never wanted to. 

Built in 1947, of no particular architectural style other than Cheap Post-War, the Manor has no aesthetic claim to justify its preservation.  Let's just say it's no Carolina Theatre, and no Fox Theatre (Atlanta).  Being 73 years old is not, by itself, sufficient to make it indispensable.  The rest of the block is similarly drab.  Bulldozers should be the first step to the creation of building a suitable entrance to Eastover and Myers Park.

But I'm guessing a protracted battle over demolition, zoning, planning, and construction will ensue.  No shortage of lawyers in the hood. 

• Sad 2