atlrvr

Myers Park / Eastover Projects

One project that hasn't gotten any mention on here and is actually well under construction is The Cherokee, located at the corner of Cherokee and Fenton roads in Eastover. It looks like they finished erecting the steel in the last couple of days and have been pumping the concrete for the floors.

Here is a rendering. I believe it will be 20 units. The developer is the same as Eastover Place and Fenton Place both also on Fenton .

header.jpg

Trying to post positive news today :)

The new Yoforia on Selwyn @ Colony has become quite the Myers Park magnet. I admit to have gone a few times myself already :P I like it better than Tasty Yo, I have not tried Pinkberry over at Philips Place yet.

Selywn's liposuction has definitely helped with creating a denser more urban vibe. Also helped by the new Tranquil Court condos across the street which will soon open Clean Catch Fish Market and a Mellow Mushroom. Adding these new joints to the already popular Selwyn Pub and Nolen Kitchen makes for another much needed walkable node.

i love yoforia, even if my tendency to over-serve myself doesn't work so well there since they charge by weight.

the road diet is just great. the planting strips and lack of on-street parking don't bother me here because a nice neighborhood urban vibe has been created in spite of it, while still feeling very Myers Park.

Mellow Mushroom is opening in mid/late September. for those of you unfamiliar with them, Mellow Mushrooms are usually a major draw. people will drive across town for it, no question. it will really be interesting to see how the dynamic changes once that happens, because Myers Park is just about the last place i thought i'd see one (but Queens University nearby makes sense). i'm equally excited about Clean Catch. talk about an un-filled niche!

The selwyn/brandywine/colony retail node is coming along at an incredible pace. There's something new every time I pass it and a great vibe is developing there.

Clean Catch fish market is open. Mellow Mushroom is delayed to October but has installed the outdoor patio and an opened-up psychedelic spray painted bus to the interior as booth seating. The end unit of tranquil court, opposite colony, has a sign up for "Fabo Cafe", which sounds to be mostly a coffee shop and bakery. There appears to be a large gym going in as well, and I THINK its on the 2nd floor with a street-level entrance.

The old retail strip next door (with bicycle source) added a chocolate shop recently called Mostly Chocolate. The space next door to it has a sign up saying "coming soon: New York Butcher Shoppe". Wow. The other old retail strip across the street has undergone some aesthetic improvements with new awnings and lighting, and I'm not sure but the barber shop there might be new.

Kind of weird that all the Mellow Mushrooms closed and now another is reopening? I remember there being one in NODA and Cotswold a few years back.

Kind of weird that all the Mellow Mushrooms closed and now another is reopening? I remember there being one in NODA and Cotswold a few years back.

It's odd to me that Mellow Mushroom is reopening in Myers Park. But I guess the whole "hippie" thing is just a marketing ploy. Real hippies probably can't afford $20 pizzas.

all of those previous mellow mushrooms were owned by a single franchisee and it was personal reasons, not the amount of business, that brought them down. this is a different franchisee and another Charlotte location in the near future is a definite possibility. no i've never worked there, but i'm close to the company and have been a regular at stores in other cities.

the hippie thing is only a ploy as much as any theme of any restaurant is. it varies store-to-store (there are over 100) but its hardcore hippie-founded and you'll usually find hippies working there and patronizing the place. about as authentic as it gets in a restaurant chain if you asked me. Myers park isn't hippie or alt in the least, sure, but i guarantee it will draw some of those people in to the area just for dinner and some beer, and as i said, its location was DEFINITELY chosen with proximity to Queens University in mind.

I checked out MM this week, very cool setup. Although the prices also reminded me why I don't go that often. The pizza is good but not worth 15 bucks for the smallest pie.

The place has rapidly been colonized by high schoolers and Queens students. Overall, the entire the development is great. The height and mixed rez and biz uses go great with the narrowed stretch of Selwyn. If only it could be longer!

I have some major neighborhood envy and never thought that would be the case regarding Myers Park.

This development is what I wish Latta Pavillion could have been, it puts much of East Blvd to shame.

Edited by Dilworthy

I went to MM last night and the area is much better than I expected. I could see this area pick up with pedestrian activity when the weather warms up. The area has great street level shops in a continuous fashion. It does put East Blvd to shame. East still would be much better if someone would knock down Blockbuster and put something up to mirror Latta. One day!

I went to MM last night and the area is much better than I expected. I could see this area pick up with pedestrian activity when the weather warms up. The area has great street level shops in a continuous fashion. It does put East Blvd to shame. East still would be much better if someone would knock down Blockbuster and put something up to mirror Latta. One day!

oh believe me, when the weather was still warm it definitely had some of the most consistent pedestrian activity of any neighborhood i've seen in charlotte, although that's as much due to all the active families with young kids in the area as it is this development.

it's going to be interesting to see what comes next with all this momentum, since there really isn't anywhere else to build without getting a little creative. the area is going to be ripe for another restaurant before too long, and could probably support another clothing or gift store.

Crosland had originally rezoned several other adjance properties there are the corner of Selwyn and Colony. I'm positive that the 1-story building with Edible Art and MP Bike was rezone to allow 3-4 stories as well. Also, the property across Selwyn right at the corner of Colony (the other side of Colony from Nolen's Kitchen) I believe was include in the rezoning as well. Obviously it will be a while before all of it is built out, but it will be very urban when done.

Demolition looks about to start on the quad at the southeastern side of Selwyn and Queens Rd West. Along with this cleared space and the vacant lot next to it, I guess this is for the apartment (or condo?) building that has been pictured on a sign there for some time. Its called Selwyn at Queens or Queens at Selwyn, but the site is down. Doesn't look like anything too special but still a welcome addition IMO.

Crosland had originally rezoned several other adjance properties there are the corner of Selwyn and Colony. I'm positive that the 1-story building with Edible Art and MP Bike was rezone to allow 3-4 stories as well. Also, the property across Selwyn right at the corner of Colony (the other side of Colony from Nolen's Kitchen) I believe was include in the rezoning as well. Obviously it will be a while before all of it is built out, but it will be very urban when done.

Did Crosland's rezoning include areas further down Selwyn, or are there any proposed developments on Selwyn south of Woodlawn? With the newish and nice condos further down Woodlawn (in the direction of South Boulevard), I'm surprised that Selwyn south of Woodlawn hasn't been redeveloped as much.

Thanks.

Did Crosland's rezoning include areas further down Selwyn, or are there any proposed developments on Selwyn south of Woodlawn? With the newish and nice condos further down Woodlawn (in the direction of South Boulevard), I'm surprised that Selwyn south of Woodlawn hasn't been redeveloped as much.

Thanks.

there's not much land off selwyn south of woodlawn that has room to develop, it is mostly nice large houses (interspersed with a few older ranch homes) and a few dead-end streets of more suburban-looking new houses. there's a creek a block in either direction off selwyn.

my girlfriend's apartment complex, which is there, WAS going to get demolished to make way for a 5 or 6 story condo building, but those plans are scrapped. even before the economy tanked, they said it would be too difficult to build on that hillside. the wakefield apartment area could support a lot of redevelopment, but those are decent little apartments too.

There is a woman who is leading a campaign again Queens University's expansion plans because the expansion is "destroying" the character of Myers Park. I am not familiar with the university's expansion plans. If anyone could give us more insight into this it would be very much appreciated.

The expansions underway aren't "destroying" anything and look very in the character of existing buildings and are only enhancing the streetscape IMO. I don't know what future plans there are, but my hunch is that its just a rather frivolous example of NIMBYism.

The Teeter expansion taking shape at Q2P2 is pretty impressive. Even with just steel framing, that intersection feels remarkably different.

• Like 1

Q2P2 is clever. I always call it the "P's and Q's".

I rode by the other day, and agree, it has a massive presence in the intersection.

The Teeter expansion taking shape at Q2P2 is pretty impressive. Even with just steel framing, that intersection feels remarkably different.

Great name for the intersection. I wish it was official.

Off-topic but I had the same take passing the new Central Ave one today too! Really glad to see HT doing creative site-specific store designs.

The little auto shop at the corner of Providence and Middleton was being demolished when I drove by yesterday. Are there plans for anything to go there?

The new Harris Teeter is looking great btw, I am very impressed that they went with the plan that they did. It feels way more urban than I thought anything in that part of town ever would.