Myers Park / Eastover Projects

atlrvr

One thing about all these boutique condo buildings going up in Myers Park especially is these are the many of the  buyers for any high rise condo project in Charlotte and that is why I don't think we will see a high rise condo tower in uptown for years and years.  Our best hope is a hotel with condos on top aka like a W Residences or something akin.   Charlotte's market for $1 million plus condos is such thin air you need an oxygen mask.  

• Like 4

17 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

So what is the sub-culture's mindset who buys these condos, or 8,000 Sq ft Eastover homes? What is it like? Anyone have an in? Asking for a friend...

Not sure I completely understand the question, but I might have some insight.  Are you asking why would people pay those prices when they could buy something less expensive in another neighborhood?

3 minutes ago, teeg said:

Not sure I completely understand the question, but I might have some insight.  Are you asking why would people pay those prices when they could buy something less expensive in another neighborhood?

Is Myers Park that in-demand, I mean? There seem to be much more interesting areas to live in with better services around. Myers Park always seemed to be where you go if you want a mansion, not a condo/townhome.

Perhaps I'm #outoftouch

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Is Myers Park that in-demand, I mean? There seem to be much more interesting areas to live in with better services around. Myers Park always seemed to be where you go if you want a mansion, not a condo/townhome.

Perhaps I'm #outoftouch

For the new $1,000,000+ condos, I agree with atlrvr that it's likely to be downsizing empty nesters.  I am not at that stage of life yet -- which I think explains why I do not know anyone in a Myers Park condo at this time -- but I am close enough that I see the appeal.  Now that we are in the area, I cannot see ever moving to another part of Charlotte.  But I might one day want to give up the yardwork, and then hope to find one for a lot less than a million! 

I am not as familiar with the southern park of Myers Park, but I agree that Eastover / northern Myers Park is not very interesting.  It's just nice.  Insanely nice, quiet, safe, and very walkable (except for Providence, which is mostly avoidable).  And, of course, it's really close to downtown and the airport.

As far as better services in other neighborhoods, there's really a lot more here than I knew about before moving in.   Most of my shopping is within 1 mile of the house.   It does not have a bar or live music scene like a NoDa or Plaza Midwood, but I guess I outgrew that at some point.  There are plenty of of nice restaurants and places where you can grab a beer or glass of wine.  Last call is probably 9:45, but most of the neighborhood is asleep before then anyway.

I was surprised to discover how diverse the housing stock is.  There are 8,000 sq ft mansions, sure, but there are also plenty of much smaller homes (1,500 sq ft and up), and lots of apartments, townhomes, condos.  In my little subdivision, slightly more than half of the housing units are multi-family, and that includes a lot of 1 and 2 bedrooms.  

• Like 1

On 4/30/2018 at 9:57 AM, teeg said:

It looks like another 8 million dollar + condos are on the way for Myers Park at www.620queens.com.  The old two story house on that site was demolished earlier this month.  

If I'm going to pay that much money for a condo, I don't want it to look anything like this standard Charlotte apartment structure.

Where's the Randy Jackson "it's a 'no' from me dawg" gif?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
13 hours ago, KJHburg said:

any word about any Manor Theater redevelopment?   I am not for anything being done here but someone mentioned rumors in the past.  This has special meaning for my parents so I want it to remain and think this is a great little strip center in Myers Park. 

IMG_1552.JPG

This has special meaning to many of us who were born and bred in little ole Charlotte.  I really hope the manor remains.  Great memories there...

• Like 3

^^^ Well if they would need a rezoning it would be a battle royale.  I hope nothing changes at this shopping center anytime soon.  

Yep, good luck fighting Myers Park. I’ll sign up to write an article against, and I don’t do that often.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I will bring my mother and she can tell the story on how my dad proposed to her there at the Manor.   Plus I will bring some boxes of Kleenexes. 

But if any kind of rezoning is required Myers Park HOA will be out in full force.  If they can get upset about a tower a mile or so away then they would really be upset about any new project here.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It won't need a rezoning if they plan on larger units.  They can do around 130-140' by-right at 17-units per acre.

Edit...I actually think I'm wrong as I see the park across Providence is zoned R-3, which probably caps this height....I'm not sure if there is a placement on the site that gets you over 90' without a rezoning.

its been out there for a while... 2017 date.  The most recent renderings are worse than the previous revisions.  likely dumbing down to allow for more flexibility going forward.  Looks like recently added structured parking, so they might be having to value engineer.

Those looking to preserve Manor Theater should be paying attention to the Circa rezoning request one block away (discussed above). Almost 3 acres of land in the Manor Theater location have been accumulated by one investor and what happens with the Circa NS rezoning request will probably have a precedent setting impact on the Manor Theater location. Residents have started the following change.org petition with 500+ signatures: https://www.change.org/p/eric-smith-vote-no-to-circa-rezoning-to-4-story-32-000-sf-and-2-story-3-600-sf-at-providence-and-laurel

Arguments against the rezoning are:

1) This rezoning does not adhere to the Elizabeth Area Plan which Crescent Heights has been annexed into. The Elizabeth Area Plan states that buildings must maintain the height/scale of existing adjacent buildings. There are no buildings anywhere in the vicinity that are 50 feet tall.

2) Investors have accumulated two sets of parcels (including Manor Theater) within one block of this site and are awaiting the results of this rezoning. Allowing this rezoning will most likely transform the Providence corridor with future NS rezonings, magnifying inadequate parking and out of scale development. 

3) This development does not fit the criteria needed for NS rezoning and is an attempt to bypass current density/parking rules. NS zoning, according to Zoning ordinances, allows more density with reduced parking because the development is to serve the neighborhood (residents walk to and fro) and exist near mass transit. This is not the case here. 

4) Simple math suggests the number of parking spaces is grossly inadequate. 10 for sale luxury residential units = 20 spaces needed. The new Circa showroom will use 9 parking spots (photo of current Circa parking included). 20 + 9 = 29 spaces needed before accounting for the new 3,600 sq. ft. office building. Total number of non-handicapped spaces provided is 27. So before accounting for people working in the new 3,600 sq. ft. office building, we have already run out of spaces. Crescent Ave. has no room for additional parking. 

Edited by mcsla
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, mcsla said:

Those looking to preserve Manor Theater should be paying attention to the Circa rezoning request one block away (discussed above). Almost 3 acres of land in the Manor Theater location have been accumulated by one investor and what happens with the Circa NS rezoning request will probably have a precedent setting impact on the Manor Theater location. Residents have started the following change.org petition with 500+ signatures: https://www.change.org/p/eric-smith-vote-no-to-circa-rezoning-to-4-story-32-000-sf-and-2-story-3-600-sf-at-providence-and-laurel

1) This rezoning does not adhere to the Elizabeth Area Plan which Crescent Heights has been annexed into. The Elizabeth Area Plan states that buildings must maintain the height/scale of existing adjacent buildings. There are no buildings anywhere in the vicinity that are 50 feet tall.

2) Investors have accumulated two sets of parcels (including Manor Theater) within one block of this site and are awaiting the results of this rezoning. Allowing this rezoning will most likely transform the Providence corridor with future NS rezonings, magnifying inadequate parking and out of scale development. 

3) This development does not fit the criteria needed for NS rezoning and is an attempt to bypass current density/parking rules. NS zoning, according to Zoning ordinances, allows more density with reduced parking because the development is to serve the neighborhood (residents walk to and fro) and exist near mass transit. This is not the case here. 

4) Simple math suggests the number of parking spaces is grossly inadequate. 10 for sale luxury residential units = 20 spaces needed. The new Circa showroom will use 9 parking spots (photo of current Circa parking included). 20 + 9 = 29 spaces needed before accounting for the new 3,600 sq. ft. office building. Total number of non-handicapped spaces provided is 27. So before accounting for people working in the new 3,600 sq. ft. office building, we have already run out of spaces. Crescent Ave. has no room for additional parking. 

Welcome to Urban Planet mcsla!  thanks for the insight.

I was confused by your comment about Annexing a street into an area plan.  I looked at the area plan and think I can see what you mean.  Crescent has always been a part of the area plan, but not necessarily part of the official neighborhood boundaries.

Edited by archiham04

On 7/26/2018 at 8:51 PM, mcsla said:

Thank you for bringing this to the fore.

Personally, even as I am someone who believes we need to increase density, mix of uses, and diversity of housing types in most places if we are to survive and thrive as a society, the Randolph and Providence Rd corridors are IMO the last arteries on which we should do this.

Nostalgia for the Manor Theater aside, I hope these do not go through as planned. But, c'est la vie

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't see this one on the Development Map, so thought I'd post to see if anyone had heard anything else on the project.  It's by-right, so not sure this flashed across many radars.

Fast Facts

853055695_ScreenShot2018-08-18at11_56_18AM.thumb.png.85d003b1a8a5f88a7d9426eda8eac7af.png

Edited by emansius
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...