Myers Park / Eastover Projects

atlrvr

This is who owns the shopping center same group as has for years.   For me it is personal this is where my dad proposed to my mom in 1957 and without that act there is no KJ so yes it is personal with me.  

Consolidated Realty Company Inc

121 W Trade St #2500

Charlotte Nc

look @tarhoosier top view location location location as you say!
Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

45 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

This is who owns the shopping center same group as has for years.   For me it is personal this is where my dad proposed to my mom in 1957 and without that act there is no KJ so yes it is personal with me.  

121 W Trade St #2500

Charlotte Nc

Thank God there's a KJ  -  UP loves :tw_heart: ya pal - keep on inspiring!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

49 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

You're right about it having no aesthetic claim but I think a case could be made for a cultural one. The Manor was the only theater around (as far as I know) that would show a lot of arthouse movies that weren't in normal theaters. With it closing, where can people go around here to watch that kind of movie? It's a real shame a city the size of Charlotte won't have a theater like this anymore.

Well, I guess it just gets down to my failure to appreciate the appeal of any movie theater, whether showing new films or vintage obscurities.  The home options -- Blu-ray, Hulu, YouTube, Turner Network, and dozens more -- seem to me superior to the movie theatre experience.  Heck, if you like sticky floors, worn and smelly upholstery, the smell of burned popcorn, and other people talking, you can re-create these at home.  I just don't get the nostalgia thing, especially given the video/audio quality now available at home.

That aside, on this real estate oriented forum, it seems to me that the idea of replacing a failing movie theatre with a midrise retail + residential and/or office tower would be a slam dunk.

58 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

121 W Trade St #2500

Charlotte Nc

But isn’t Consolidated Realty Company an affiliate of Eastern Federal? I’m hoping they aren’t selling or developing - at all - but they  were content to sit on the Martha Washington Apartments for years and years and finally pulled the trigger to sell those for redevelopment 2 years ago.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sakami said:

But isn’t Consolidated Realty Company an affiliate of Eastern Federal? I’m hoping they aren’t selling or developing - at all - but they  were content to sit on the Martha Washington Apartments for years and years and finally pulled the trigger to sell those for redevelopment 2 years ago.  

Yes pretty sure that  Eastern Federal is parent to Consolidated Realty.  I am hoping they just release as I am sure there would be a lot of interest.  Building something else may require rezoning and it would be a battle royale. 

• Like 1

Just now, southernnorthcarolina said:

Agree with that 100%.  If anything, "battle royale" is an understatement, given the prominence of the site.  I'll have to make my own popcorn since the theater is closed.  

I am going to join the fight too at rezoning meetings. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

They also owned the Duke Energy 2 site.  Eastern Federal is gonzo and exists as a land banking company now.

and it took record $ per acre to wrestle it out of their hands.

I get the nostalgic appeal of the Manor and the cultural need for access to art house movies, but TBH I never particularly enjoyed seeing films there. The quality of the experience just isn't great. #unpopularopinion
I agree with this. If we had other art house theaters, I wouldn't mind this news as much as I do. The city can support at least 1.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

8 hours ago, tozmervo said:

I get the nostalgic appeal of the Manor and the cultural need for access to art house movies, but TBH I never particularly enjoyed seeing films there. The quality of the experience just isn't great. #unpopularopinion

You're right, it wasn't a great theater experience. I'm lamenting the loss of the city's only art house theater more than the loss of the Manor itself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The need for an "art house" movie theater is, to me, debatable, given modern capacity for home entertainment.  In fact, the era of movie theaters in general, whether "first run" or "art house" is coming to an end.  Showing films in a dark room does nothing to enliven the nearby streetscape -- didn't work at EpiCentre or Ballantyne, to name two recent fiascos.

If someone determines there is a market for such films, fine with me.  But why in Myers Park/ Eastover?  If the concept works at all, it might be in more of a hipster hood -- NoDa, Plaza Midweird, Elizabeth Avenue, or a back street in South End.

• Like 1

I have never been to the Visualite Theatre, but couldn't that become a venue for independent movies, or even perhaps using the Overcast in CCCP?  I have been to the Manor several times, and there have never been more than 30 or so people there.

48 minutes ago, Tyree Ricardo said:

I got a tip that nobody's leases were renewed from Starbucks to DeeJai Tai, and that folks were offered a new spot in a mixed use building.

Was Laurel Market Included in this? One of Charlotte's hidden gems at lunchtime.

They also owned the Duke Energy 2 site.  Eastern Federal is gonzo and exists as a land banking company now.

Meiselman just bought the Boston Market and adjacent retail complex on Providence plus a similar neighborhood center on Selwyn. But I agree they seem to be passive owners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 5/21/2020 at 10:07 AM, Tyree Ricardo said:

I got a tip that nobody's leases were renewed from Starbucks to DeeJai Tai, and that folks were offered a new spot in a mixed use building.

And another interesting tidbit, my old dentist was in the three story office building to the right of the Manor, and they moved about 2 miles away late last year.  So, is it possible that building is in the mix with this as well?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...