Myers Park / Eastover Projects

atlrvr

6 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

This is at Laurel and Cherokee, close to Laurel Market. 32 condos, 1.75mm and up. Sales center in small house across the street for those with investment ideas.

That little house across the street deserves a better life. Was empty for a long time, surrounded by giant condos, gas station, etc. I'm saddened when I go to Laurel market and think that some day it will probably be torn down as it seems like a nice little home :( Those condos with their office has given it some new life with the paint job (and probably remodel) though.

image.thumb.png.3c978af0f61c99ca028c2bda387c31bb.png

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Was a toy store for many years.  I want to say Black Forest Toys maybe??? Anyway, Amazon ended all that.

Edit... actually after looking at your pic again, I realize that the toy store was in the other cottage that still stands immediately to the left of this one, between this house and the gas station.  

Both are probably not long for this world.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, atlrvr said:

Was a toy store for many years.  I want to say Black Forest Toys maybe??? Anyway, Amazon ended all that.

Edit... actually after looking at your pic again, I realize that the toy store was in the other cottage that still stands immediately to the left of this one, between this house and the gas station.  

The other house that was the toy store is now Isabella’s, a home furnishings store.  It’s a nice little operation.  Sad when/if that goes, but you’re probably right.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, atlrvr said:

Black Forest was an amazing toy/kids bookstore.  I really enjoyed shopping there when my kids were little.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Trees can live indefinitely. Without pests, fire, drought, external disease (and man, sadly) they have indefinite life span. There are trees into our time that are in favorable locations and alive for thousands of years.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/trees-have-the-potential-to-live-indefinitely/

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 3

This tree (trees) is (are) on the grounds of Duke Mansion. At the motor entrance before the valet/parking area and close to the street. I walked around enough of the property yesterday to be confident this was the tree(s) Jane was describing. 300 years is pre-European settlement. John Lawson time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lawson_(explorer)

edit: I keep my dime.

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but the Swimmer building at the corner of Providence and Altondale is set for redevelopment…rezoning imminent by Roy Goode. Seems it will be mixed use with high end condos, office, and a couple retail tenants. Seems the Taipei Express may survive as the Thirsty Beaver of Eastover. 

• Like 4

About 1981 we had visitors from out of town and went to Wing Haven for the first time for a summer day visit. The Clarksons still lived in the home. We knocked on the door and Mr Clarkson answered in a white summer seersucker suit and said his wife was poorly. The garden was not open at that time (pre internet) but he bade us enter and to enjoy their life's work.

The book about Elizabeth Clarkson, her love of everything natural, their enduring relationship is in "A Bird In The House" by Mary Kratt. The story is touching and I am glad I had the opportunity to meet Mr. Clarkson even though I disturbed them for which I apologize here.  It lifts my heart each time I visit. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, sakami said:

Took my son to get a haircut at the barber shop in Myers Park today and there is a bunch of construction going on in the spaces in the basement. I asked the barber and he said they are building a kid friendly cafe. Has anyone else heard this?

out of curiosity, what barbershop are you talking about? what spaces? then I can figure it out from there.

16 minutes ago, CLT Development said:

out of curiosity, what barbershop are you talking about? what spaces? then I can figure it out from there.

Sorry, Colonial Barbershop in the shopping center with Fancy Pants and Volo, Harris Teeter in the parking lot. I tried to find it on Accela but had no luck. I think the parcel is 15510165. The space is in the basement on the far right side of the building. There used to be a dry cleaner/shoe repair in one of the spots and the other was an aerial studio for a while. They’ve both been empty for a few years. 

Edited by sakami
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, sakami said:

Sorry, Colonial Barbershop in the shopping center with Fancy Pants and Volo, Harris Teeter in the parking lot. I tried to find it on Accela but had no luck. I think the parcel is 15510165. The space is in the basement on the far right side of the building. There used to be a dry cleaner/shoe repair in one of the spots and the other was an aerial studio for a while. They’ve both been empty for a few years. 

had no idea there was basement!!! Let me see what I can find 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Looks like there's an active permit for a SkinSpirit Skincare Salon at 1041 Providence Rd and an active permit for The Grove at 1043 Providence. Based on The Grove's permit having ramp/stair inspections and a food service component, I'd assume that's it. That's the old aerial studio address.

Edit: It's being designed by Cluck, so assume it'll be cool.

came here to say that, thanks. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/29/2021 at 10:30 PM, atlrvr said:

Bedford Falls...

• Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...