Myers Park / Eastover Projects

atlrvr

4 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

I read somewhere, years ago and source unremembered, that the triangular piece of land you reference was designed by the developers and designers of Myers Park to be THE park. THE Myers Park. Developer George Stephens, son in law of cotton farm owner John Springs Myers, and John Nolen the planner wanted a small open area. This open area has been fully wooded for nearly a century. So if someone humorously asks where the "park" is in Myers Park you can show him.

I assume this "park" was within the earliest area of development.

Thanks. I never realized this space was a park. I never saw it listed on the Meck park & rec website, which led me to believe it wasn't a park.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NCMike1990 said:

Thanks. I never realized this space was a park. I never saw it listed on the Meck park & rec website, which led me to believe it wasn't a park.

Its not a park. but its original intention was a park. I have no idea who maintains it. 

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, tarhoosier said:

So lame. The site celebrating the tree canopy calls it Steven's Park. The name is Stephens for George Stephens. It is just above this post in a discussion of the park.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers_Park_(Charlotte)

Thank you for confirming my suspicions about the spelling.  I had never heard it referred to as anything other than Myers Park Park, so yesterday the tree site sent me off to try to figure out who Steven was.  

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Scribe said:

^^ Same thing on the Observer - http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article185849383.html

My guess is that the Novant building was sold?? Do not think AutoBell building sold... anyone know?

It seems to be the Novant building as I can tell by the renderings of the other buildings and it would be good half a block. 

• Like 2

I could see this building being very popular. Close location to Myers Park/Eastover for firms that are client facing (wealth managers, lawyers, etc...) and maybe even some overflow for administrative departments at Novant, Carolina Neurosurgery, CPCC, etc....

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

It seems to be the Novant building as I can tell by the renderings of the other buildings and it would be good half a block. 

The article mentions 3.4 acres, but by my measurement the Novant lot looks closer to 2.0.  That, plus the rendering, suggests to me that they are looking at taking out the small shopping center on 4th.  I would be very sad to lose 88 China Bistro, but otherwise thrilled to see this one built.     

Edit: the Business Journal article was more clear on this than the Observer.   It would include the shopping center and the Novant rehab place.  

Edited by teeg
Correction
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Driving by today, I saw that they were fencing off the surface parking lot on the east side of Queens between 3rd and 4th.  It looks like they are finally moving ahead on the new heart and cancer center building, for which they have had signs on site for years.  From what I can find in Acela, it looks like 250,000 sq ft with a 1,000 space parking deck.  

• Like 3

There are rumors stirring around the neighborhoods that a 10-story residential building with some retail will be taking the block on Providence with Laurel Market, Starbucks, Manor Theatre, Blossom Shop and HSM. From what I can find in the tax records all of these buildings are owned by Eastern Federal (I can't find the sale of the Starbucks and Laurel Market buildings but heard it from a reliable source). The owner assembling the property is Eastern Federal, the same owner of the Martha Washington apartments in Elizabeth under contract by Pulte. Building tenants are sharing this news with customers.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, sakami said:

There are rumors stirring around the neighborhoods that a 10-story residential building with some retail will be taking the block on Providence with Laurel Market, Starbucks, Manor Theatre, Blossom Shop and HSM. From what I can find in the tax records all of these buildings are owned by Eastern Federal (I can't find the sale of the Starbucks and Laurel Market buildings but heard it from a reliable source). The owner assembling the property is Eastern Federal, the same owner of the Martha Washington apartments in Elizabeth under contract by Pulte. Building tenants are sharing this news with customers.  

Ohhh I will be very sad to loose Aix en Provence

• Like 3

5 hours ago, sakami said:

Oh dear God please no! :(

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sakami said:

I remember sitting in that Starbucks in Oct of 2008 when Wachovia failed.  It was a crazy atmosphere.

Edited by SydneyCarton