Hybrid0NE

109 members have voted

1. 1. Will Atlanta ever top it's peak population?

• No.
    • Yes, within 5 yrs.
    • Yes, within 10 yrs.
    • Yes, within 20 yrs. or longer

The peak population thread got me thinking about the actual number of residents in the city limits and it looks like it hit it's peak in the 60's/70's. I actually thought the city would've lost more residents than the actual numbers revealed, considering how fast the suburbs filled up. Anyway, Atlanta topped out with 496,973 residents for the 1970 census but as of 2004's estimate we've reclaimed our population equal to total living in the limits within in 1980. I find it a little exciting that the city could potentially reach an all-time high within the next couple of years or decades. It would be nice if it occurs sooner, it would be a comeback worth witnessing...

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know how long it will take, but I know it will. If the current trends keep up (according to the ARC estimates), we might could see 497,000 by the next census or the next 5 years. If it doesn't happen then, then I'm sure it would happen within the next 10 years (assuming, once again, that the current trends keep up).

I'll be optimistic and vote the "Yes, within 5 yrs." option.

just a note: My aunt and uncle moved to Meriwether county a few years ago, and while they got a beautiful place of land, they felt very isolated and said the people there were extremely clickish and didn't warm up to newcomers very well. Now they're moving to Griffin. Not trying to deter you, just telling you what my aunt (an Atlanta native) thought

I think that the west side of Atlanta actually has the most potential for adding big numbers. It's not Buckhead, Midtown or even Downtown with their new, ever increasing number of high rise condo towers but it's got land. The west side has so much land and so much potential. Take a look at where our new park is going. Get over there! Take a drive around the area and marvel at all the undeveloped or under developed land. The park and beltline will add a new cenergy to our west. It's the new ATL frontier... but intown.

Another question to add to this thread: When we do reach the peak population in the next, say five years then what momentum is behind those numbers. Do we start climbing even fast? With this said when does the city hit the 500,000 and 1,000,000 marks?

My vote for peak is five years (more like six in my mind)

My vote for 500,000 is seven years.

My vote for 1,000,000 is 12 years.

Just taking a stab. No numbers to back me up it's just a gut thing.

just a note: My aunt and uncle moved to Meriwether county a few years ago, and while they got a beautiful place of land, they felt very isolated and said the people there were extremely clickish and didn't warm up to newcomers very well. Now they're moving to Griffin. Not trying to deter you, just telling you what my aunt (an Atlanta native) thought

Hm, good point, Newnan.

Brad, I'm thinking about trying to work out a deal where I can work at home more (since it's easy enough to log in to the office remotely), and just going in a couple of days per week. I've about given up hope that Atlanta will ever be urban in the way that I like urban. While I like the cost of living here and like my job, there are so many things that just seem unfixable.

Maybe I'll feel better about it tomorrow.

Hm, good point, Newnan.

Brad, I'm thinking about trying to work out a deal where I can work at home more (since it's easy enough to log in to the office remotely), and just going in a couple of days per week. I've about given up hope that Atlanta will ever be urban in the way that I like urban. While I like the cost of living here and like my job, there are so many things that just seem unfixable.

Maybe I'll feel better about it tomorrow.

I understand - my view concerning lifestyles is to either live in a city neighborhood or in the country - I'm sure it's pretty there, with the Pine Mountains.

As for you doubts, I totally understand - but in my case it will be to another city or region of the country.

Another question to add to this thread: When we do reach the peak population in the next, say five years then what momentum is behind those numbers. Do we start climbing even fast? With this said when does the city hit the 500,000 and 1,000,000 marks?

My vote for peak is five years (more like six in my mind)

My vote for 500,000 is seven years.

My vote for 1,000,000 is 12 years.

Just taking a stab. No numbers to back me up it's just a gut thing.

You seriously think Atlanta will reach 1 million in 12 years? Why do you think that?

Maybe Meriwether or Oglethorpe County, Newnan. I'd love to be where you are but Newnan's a little too pricey for my pocketbook.

Andrea, I don't know what your limits are but have you checked into properties in the Cleveland/Helen area? All I can say here (and no I'm not selling any particular property) is that there have been some choice properties to come on the market recently. You should check it out. White County is the county if I'm not mistaken.

Back to the city numbers....

Newnan I highly doubt Atlanta would hit 1,000,000 in 12 years. That would be almost adding 550,000 people to the city. Fulton's population with just that growth alone would be 1,600,000. All things are possible but not in twelve years. If that's the case then I'm about to have my husband by rental properties all over the city and county.

I don't see Atlanta hitting its peak that quickly. For all these condos going up, there have been some high density housing projects torn down. The housing projects displace a lot of people because each unit may have a family of 4, 5, 6, or more in it. Most of these condos are going to be for singles, young couples, and empty-nesters.

I think it will grow, but even hitting the 500,000 mark will probably take over ten years. That's why I guessed 20.

@UrbanAtl:

I'm not saying it couldn't happen (as highly unlikely as it is that it will), but 1,000,000 in 12 years is a bit much even by the most optimistic standards. Has any place ever gained proportionately or even numerically that much in such a short period of time under normal conditions? The only possible example of a city gaining that much in such a short period of time is post-Katrina Baton Rouge, and I'd hardly consider the conditions causing its growth "normal".

Meriwether county is about as anti urban as you can get

It's not as if there's anything wrong with being "anti-urban". If, of course, by that you mean rural areas.

Let me backtrack a bit. I was thinking 12 years beyond the half million mark. I should have said 1 million in 19-20 years. Sorry about that.

I know that 20 years is still highly optimistic of me. I just believe in momentum. I think that when the ball gets rolling the city will start to fill up quickly. Our city is just so empty. There is so much room in the city and especially on the west side of Atlanta. On the upper west side you can find, what once were warehouses, now are new over spilling Cobb townhouses. In a way that part of the city of Atlanta has become a suburb to Vinings / Cobb-Galleria area. But most of the west side just sits there, empty, uninhabited and unused.

When I was born the city was somewhere around the 1.5 mark. I grew up between the farmland that became the Perimeter mall area and Buford Hwy. Talk about unbelievable changes! I remember counting cows with my mom on the way to Perimeter mall. I

• 2 months later...

Archived