Hollywood of the south

brodieseyes

Hollywood of the south  

158 members have voted

1. 1. What city do you think is the hollywood of the south?

• Atlanta
    • Charlotte
    • Miami
    • New Orleans
    • Houston

That's Hollywood East, not Hollywood South. ;)

Besides, it's going to be hard to top Miami. Not saying it can't be done, but it's going to be interesting to watch.

That's quite an impressive development! I think it's cool, but there's just too much damned money in Dubai. It would be so nice to be able to just develop anything you wanted and not even worry about a potential loss (not talking about the Orlando project, but all the skyscrapers being built in Dubai.)

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wilmington, NC is already considered by some as the "Hollywood of the East".

Richmond does pretrty well in that regard, also. It often stands in for Washington (EVAN THE ALMIGHTY being the latest) and even New York on occasions. Tom Hanks' JOHN ADAMS miniseries recently wrapped after several mionths in the area. Countless commercials and major films are shot in Greater Richmond which has good studio space as well as excellent post-production facilities.

But chauvanism aside, I'll concede that North Carolina and Florida are the big boys.

It is going to be tough to assemble 800 acres of land in Miami or Tampa. But they have the money, we will see.

If this Dubai investment company needs 800 acres then Miami is definately out. I remember IKEA looking for enough land to build in Miami Dade County and couldn't find it so they went Ft. Lauderdale instead!

• 2 weeks later...

Remember guys, we're talking cities here, not states. Even though Louisiana has been making much headway in the film industry as of late, I don't see any Louisiana city displacing Miami--unless there's some data out there that I'm unaware of that would indicate such.

Remember guys, we're talking cities here, not states. Even though Louisiana has been making much headway in the film industry as of late, I don't see any Louisiana city displacing Miami--unless there's some data out there that I'm unaware of that would indicate such.

I agree, I don't think any other city can top Miami at the moment. I'd put New Orleans right behind it, and I really think Shreveport could challenge for third. I admit I'm not as familiar with films in other Southern cities as I'd like to be, so what has been coming out of Atlanta and Charlotte recently?

^Ah yes that's definately true. Tyler Perry is originally from New Orleans, and I believe his "Madea" character is originally from Louisiana, and later made the move to Georgia.

Anyway...back on topic. :)

• 2 weeks later...

From all I have read on this Hollywood of the south, it looks like the south as a whole is doing well in the movie business.

It is about time the south gets movies shot on location and not in Hollywood with painted scenes in the background.

The south is doing well overall as it has been for a long time. Not all productions are out of Hollywood. There are far more indie productions than Hollywood shoots. Sadly, too many of the Hollywood shoots are choosing locations outside the States.

• 2 months later...

I agree, I don't think any other city can top Miami at the moment. I'd put New Orleans right behind it, and I really think Shreveport could challenge for third. I admit I'm not as familiar with films in other Southern cities as I'd like to be, so what has been coming out of Atlanta and Charlotte recently?

Unfortunately, until Millennium Films finishes their new studio outside of downtown Shreveport, things have slowed down here considerably. I know there was a little blurb in The Times a couple days ago about filming for some movie making travel through downtown Shreveport a pain in the rear, but there just hasn't been much else since Jessica Simpson's 'Major Movie Star' wrapped recently.

Let's hope Millennium holds to their promise to produce 3-5 films here per year out of their new studio.

The south is doing well overall as it has been for a long time. Not all productions are out of Hollywood. There are far more indie productions than Hollywood shoots. Sadly, too many of the Hollywood shoots are choosing locations outside the States.

At least in NC, and I would bet elsewhere, the indie infrastructure is definitely deepening across the south. Most of the more talked about NC-related films in recent years seem more indie/arthouse than Hollywood.

Coming off the indie-circuit success of Loggerheads, Tim Kirkman's next 2 features (both in pre-production) will also be set in and shot in the region - one in Asheville and one in New Orleans.

I don't understand these polls. "What's the New York of the South" "What's the Chicago of the South" "What's the Hollywood of the South" "What's the king and queen of the South"

Next we'll see "What's the Asmara, Eritrea of the South" or "What city is the fish and which is the chips of the South." They don't make sense!

:rofl: I share your disdain for these topics Lammius.

Miami is easily the Hollywood of the South. I would put New Orleans in a close second. The distant third would be Atlanta.

1. Wilmington

2. Miami

3. New Orleans

Atlanta: Forget it

Look up the cities where movies and television programs are and/or have been made. Wilmington is #1. Check it out.

• 3 weeks later...

^^ You should do that search. I think you'll find this is not the case.

I agree with whats been said earlier, there isn't a "Hollywood of the South" but Miami is easily the most popular area for Hollywood TV and Movie productions.

I agree, I don't think any other city can top Miami at the moment. I'd put New Orleans right behind it, and I really think Shreveport could challenge for third. I admit I'm not as familiar with films in other Southern cities as I'd like to be, so what has been coming out of Atlanta recently?

Some of the more popular recent ones

Beauty Shop

Diary of a Mad Black Woman

We Are Marshall

ATL

Remember the Titans

Sweet Home Alabama

I just happen to see this in the paper today... films that'll be released early next year and were filmed here.

Jan. 4

• 4 months later...

I really dont know about calling a city "hollywood of the south," but if i had to call a state, one would have to give it to Louisiana. Louisiana is ranked 3rd behind California and then New York in the production of the most films in the US. While I could find many articles supporting that statement, I wasnt able to find the source of who actully crunched the numbers, or else i would have posted the link. Most people dont recognize that LA is ranked third, because the plot lines of many of the films filmed in La take place in another location. For Instance, "Mr Brooks" was entirely filmed in Shreveport, yet the plot has it set in Portland, Oregon. Justin Timberlake is filming a movie right now in the Baton Rouge/Hammond area, but if i remember correctly, the movie takes place somewhere else too, i think Kansas.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm surprised no one posted this yet, but Jada Pinkett Smith has a new show Based in Charlotte that's pilot episode will be airing on TNT this fall. The show is called "Time" and it's a medical drama that takes place in a fictional hospital called "Charlotte Mercy Hospital." I'm sure that they will shoot some shots in Charlotte if the show makes it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080918/tv_nm/jada_dc

• 9 months later...

Let's just end this silly discussion and say that when it comes down to it, every city is different and not entirely comparable, and if your city can really be compared to some other city in a fairly comprehensive way, then there is no originality to that at all! Of the cities on the list, why even doubt that of all the movies filmed in the south's urban environs, 60-80% come out of south FL with a shot over Biscayne Bay. I mean come on, who would put Charlotte or even Houston on the list, and what's worse is who would vote for them? I have not seen one movie with a shot of Charlotte in it, maybe there are some movies filmed there, I don't know.

Even in Jax there are movies and TV shows filmed on location somewhere in the metro :Devil's Advocate, Manchurian Candidate, GI Jane, Basic, Lonely Hearts (Jax made out to look like 1920s NYC), Tigerland, Sunshine State, The Babysitter's Seduction, Cold Case show, Road Raiders, Intimate Strangers, etc.

However in no way should Jax be on the list, only MIA< ATL< NO< and Dallas/DC if you count them in the south.

Jax was actually the movie capital at one time when films first started coming out. I don't remember the reason but the industry moved to Cali. In this poll I would rank Miami (not as the Hollywood of the south) but as Miami, a city with a very large fashion/film/adverstising/television industry. For those of us who know Florida, a very large percentage of every sort of media uses Miami as a backdrop or for production.In many cases the LA backdrops don't look as well due to smog, bare dry hills, color quality of the ocean water and sand. Miami (cleanest city in the USA 2008) is just very beautiful for filming and especially advertising backdrop. (Also in 2008, the 3rd cleanest city in the US was Jax, 4th was Orlando, and 8th was Tampa/St. Pete)

Archived