Triangle Forum Meetup

ncwebguy

Jojo,

SO sorry we missed you. I got there at around 12:15 and met Ed (a lurker) in the elevator. We got upstairs and found no action. It wasn't until I saw Ernest in the lobby that I knew what was going on.

Well there you have it...a bona fide reason to have another meetup!

I really enjoyed meeting all of you. It's rare to find anyone as gaga over developement stuff as I :lol:

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I really looked forward to meeting everyone...driving from Richmond to Raleigh took me 5 hour which normally would take 3. Some of the worst t-storms I have ever been in. @ 12:30 I along with 1000's on US 1 just north of Wake Forest had to pull over and wait for the torrential downpours to subside. After not seeing anyone at the Clarion I circled DT a few times hoping to see a group wandering the streets but with no sucess. I decided to head over toward the fairgrounds and actually was able to take a few shots of the construction of the north endzone at Carter-Finley stadium. I will try to post tomorrow. I also got some great shots of Game one at the RBC center....too bad we were blown out. May I suggest that we elect one person to contact via phone in the event something like this happens again. I am ready to schedule the next forum meeting already.

It was a crazy day, EWRob. I left the meetup, got some pics around downtown, then headed out to one of my best friend's mother's house off of Spring Forest Rd. To make a long story short, the house was on fire. The family was all at the sister's wedding. Unreal. But! It was one of 6 house fire events in Raleigh at one time. There were 1,200 lightning strikes recorded in Raleigh Saturday.

To finish the day off I went to the Canes game where:

a) A concession stand worker gave me a hard time for not leaving a tip after he sold me two beers for $19.

b) A former Gale Force executive tried to chew me out in front of everyone for yelling at the team to shoot more on the power play.

c) The team looked like one that could very well be swept in the first round. (I hope this note looks stupid later!)

To say the least, the meetup was the highlight of my day :w00t:

My gf and I got to the top of the Clarion around 12:20-12:30 and not only was there no group, there was no lunch! The people "working" there were setting something up and didn't acknoweldge my existance. It was cool to see the views from up top, though the kitchen does block the north-looking views.

On the way out, we saw a group hanging outside, but with no buffet and no other "tag along" women for my gf to talk to, she wasn't on board for hanging out any more. We ended up at Sunflowers and watched the downpour! I still have yet to eat at Raleigh Times, and hope to fix that this week.

If there is another one of these, hopefully the weather will cooperate, etc. and I can be there.

• 10 months later...

I've been thinking, since the weather is getting warmer by the day... anyone up for another one of these? We seem to have plenty of new members these days so I'll throw it out there. I'm up for going to Durham too as there's AmTob (I've only been to Tylers) and Brightleaf. I REALLY liked Olivia's--they had Bridgeport IPA on draught!--and there's other spots as well... or Raleigh again, as we neevr really had a *proper* gathering last year. :whistling: I'm thinking the end of March maybe.

Have it in Durham and I'll be there. Alivia's has a great brunch menu. The old Joe & Jo's space should be open by St. Patty's Day (since it's supposed to be like an Irish pub I guess...).

While I'm flattered that you'd think of me to give a tour, I'm thinking there are others more knowledgeable than me - plus I'm booked all three of those Saturdays :unsure: .

I've read Rue Cler is going to begin serving brunch on Saturdays in April to sort of coincide with the farmer's market (opening this year in its new location). If Durham remains an option, it'd be fun to do brunch there, take a walk past the new CCB plaza, the farmer's market, and then head towards the warehouse district to check out construction at West Village. It's pretty awesome to be able to see inside those old buildings.

It might be nice to schedule two meets in Durham; one sometime this month, where we can check out ATHD, West Village, etc., and then another in June when the street improvements will be substantially complete. The places that are nearing completion (the plaza area by the CCB tower at Parrish & Corcoran for example) look really nice, but at the moment, most of downtown Durham is quite a war zone.

After all, there's nothing to say we can't have a meetup every couple months, or even every month! This sort of get-together will be essential if we ever want to move beyond just discussing things on the forum, into actually taking a public stance on urban issues and organizing to advocate it.

Archived