Triangle Forum Meetup

ncwebguy

Not sure which I like... I'm on call on the 31st (and Rue Cler won't be open for Saturday lunch then), the 7th is the day before Easter, and the 14th will be Full Frame, atypical busy.

The "Durham or count me out" and "Durham, Raleigh, doesn't matter" mentalities are symbolic of the cooperative nature of the cities themselves.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not sure which I like... I'm on call on the 31st (and Rue Cler won't be open for Saturday lunch then), the 7th is the day before Easter, and the 14th will be Full Frame, atypical busy.

The "Durham or count me out" and "Durham, Raleigh, doesn't matter" mentalities are symbolic of the cooperative nature of the cities themselves.

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm going to plan to head over for the morning walk (if anyone wants to carpool from Raleigh, let me know via PM) and then heading over to stake out a spot at about 11:40 or so. As soon as someone see's me (I'll try to remember to post what I'm wearing and maybe bring a UP logo), I'll get a table and then come back outside to wait for more people.

I just called Rue Cler and they said there was a wait last weekend, so arriving early or just at noon is going to be important if we want a table all together.

RSVP list I have is:

YES (4)

JDC

Bull City Rising

ChiefJoJo

Jones133

MAYBE (2)

Urby56

DanRNC

I'll log on later tonight and again tomorrow morning to check again on the list.

My fiancee has informed me that we are to visit with the future in-laws in New Bern tomorrow. Apparently, I agreed to this some time ago and did not think about the UrbanPlanet get-togehter.. So guess what that means...

Guess I'll have to catch ya next time, guys... :cry: Perhaps we can make this a monthly deal, or at least do it more often than once a year...

OK, I should be EASY to spot. I've got on tan pants with an orange SparkCon T-shirt (guy with a burning head on the front) and a black fleece if its cool. Jones is with me, so when we get to the restaraut, I'll be outside. My plan to is try to get a table for six depending on the wait, so if you aren't on that list, please arrive early.

I hope to see you all there!

Thanks again guys, I had a great time. Rue Cler is definitely an up and coming spot with quality food. Maybe we'll do Raleigh next time and perhaps tour a construction project or have something more enticing to do. I am planning on going to the next Raleigh planning lecture series on TODs, so maybe a few folks can meet before that.

I've seen what some other UP forums have done around the country and there's a wide range of opportunites for us. Some have become very active in public policy, with several members being placed on local planning boards. Others have gone on interesting tours of high-rises.

In terms of policy, it has occured to me that there isn't really an advocacy group that I know of locally who promotes urban form development as it's core mission. There are other groups who promote it as a means to an end (some environmental groups), but not as their core mission. I know there are a wide-range of views here on politics, and other issues, but it seems to me that we can all agree that we would like to see more urban form development and revitalization in this area.

For those who thought about coming but did not it really is a good chance to spare your poor wife or girlfriend from a couple hours of talking up development, urban lifestyles etc etc. :good: seriously....people on this forum are very knowledgeable, and whether you come to a meetup for 15 minutes or tour the host city for an hour on foot, you are sure to learn something from the people and the experience. Durham had alot going on Saturday with Full Frame, The Art Walk, the Farmers Market and and the tobacco history tour, and it Rue Cler is definitely a cool spot. Coordinating meet-ups with events in a particular city might be a good idea in the future.

I know some people on here remember there was an advocacy group, at least for Raleigh -- Urban Raleigh But the website hasn't been updated in almost two years...

The idea of working/advocating on a smaller scale (by city) but discussing things regionally (TTA, etc.) is what this board brings to the table.

I want to go to the next 21st century lecture on May 11th, but I might be busy due to my wedding two days later.

I won't be able to make it (still out of town on honeymoon), but Artsplosure and the Art of Downtown Living tour will be on the 19th. That would be a good way to get into a lot of downtown condo buildings without having to know a resident or real estat agent. A group tour could be interesting.

After chapperoning the Merideth College semiformal till 1 Saturday morning, I was in no shape to make it to Durham for the meetup. :(

Unfortunately I could not make it to this meetup. I was in Mexico City for a wedding (and enjoying some fresh air and peace and quiet :rofl: ). I also got to experience an earthquake while on my 15th floor hotel room :cold: .

But I'm planning on going to the next one and also to that TOD lecture.

• 5 months later...

What time were you thinking? I usually don't get into dinner mode till around 7:30-8ish.

I think I can talk my wife into going since she likes mexican and we have to eat something for dinner...

That being said, I am on call starting Thursday, so I'm a maybe at best.

Archived