The Masters

PJA

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

A few years ago we took some guests from New Orleans and Houston around to some local bars during Masters week. I could not believe how dead downtown was. It was absolutely empty at the Soul Bar! I remembered thinking that it was a tragedy that too many of our Masters tourists' perceptions of Augusta are based upon their experiences on a one mile stretch of Washington Road, Surrey Center or Partridge Inn. One good thing though, I think Masters Week and First Friday coincide this year. Should be good for business.

Went to the practice round yesterday. It was great. The course was the best I've ever seen it, though I do think they went a little overboard on lengthening some of the holes. The Rock for Dough show with Collective Soul, Better than Ezra and Hootie was a lot of fun (though I'm not really a huge fan). Mike Mills from REM did an excellent job hosting the show (just wish they would have played).

Feeling good about the week until I read this: Augusta Chronicle

A few years ago we took some guests from New Orleans and Houston around to some local bars during Masters week. I could not believe how dead downtown was. It was absolutely empty at the Soul Bar! I remembered thinking that it was a tragedy that too many of our Masters tourists' perceptions of Augusta are based upon their experiences on a one mile stretch of Washington Road, Surrey Center or Partridge Inn. One good thing though, I think Masters Week and First Friday coincide this year. Should be good for business.

That just blows the mind that the Augusta Chamber of Commerce or some other entity is not proactively promoting downtown Augusta to the Masters attendees. Gosh, I don

Im guessing the best hotel in Downtown Augusta is the Riverfront Marriott Hotel, which from what I hear is nice. Somewhere around 250 rooms and with 11 floors I think. The only other highrise hotel in Downtown Augusta is the Ramada (is it still Ramada???) on Broad Street. It is also 11 floors (maybe 12?) and looks like it was built in the late 1970's, probably in need of a nice renovation. Between those two hotels, the Country Inn and Suites (6 floor relatively new hotel on the riverfront) and a few other smaller motels, that is all Downtown Augusta has.

Yeah, downtown Augusta does not have much in the way of nice hotels. Everytime I go into the Ramada I get the feeling that it could be a nice hotel if the owners would just invest some money into it. I do like the restaurant on top though--you can get some really good views of the city.

I think Partridge Inn is open this week---at least it seemed slammed when I drove past it last night. Digital Sandlapper, I totally agree. It seems too many Masters patrons only know downtown Augusta as the place where the Snake Lady used to perform at the Discoteque. There are too many great places to drink and eat downtown-- many of them are sophisticated places that I believe would give the patrons a good vibe about Augusta.

• 5 months later...

Here is an article about the Augusta National's buying of the land between Berckmans and Washington Road and how that land will be converted to parking for the club. At least now we don't have to pay $15 to park anymore (or use the Publix parking lot and hope you don't get towed. :D ) National

this off the subject a bit...but will the new condos and lifestyle centers be done before the 2007 master?

I think the new Lifestyle Center might, (Im guessing) be ready by next fall but the Condos at National Hills will take YEARS, like Pillsbury said, if it is anything like most of the other projects that have been built in Augusta.

Im so suprised that this section of Washinton rd. is not developed more densely. It is also one of the "eyesore" areas of the strip, which doesnt make any sense since every year the worlds most renowed and prestigous golf tournement is played right across the street.

• 5 months later...

Hello friends. Cheap Trick and Dashboard Confessional and Corey Smith are playing at the Rock for Dough at First Tee this year. Now, the only song I know by Dashboard Confessional is that song they play over and over on 92.3, but it's not really that bad, and I hear they're big for the Emo crowd or whatever. Corey Smith is big for the frat crowd, like a wannabe David Allen Coe. Cheap Trick just rocks the lobster. Here is the link from the comical: First Tee

By the way, I went to the Masters a record-setting 4 different days last year. Anyone can top that, please let the doughboy know.

We'll count that. My grandad actually worked a couple of years ago as a Pinkerton guard---his job was to guard the fence along the Augusta Country Club and keep them out (that's just funny to me). Yeah, there are 3 seasons in Augusta: Summer, Christmas, and Masters.

I'm just waiting to see what happens when the Emo Dashboard Confessional fans meet up with the fratboy fans of the Corey Smith guy and then the Trans Am driving fans of Cheap Trick (I'll be in the Trans Am crowd!!!) show up. Woohoo, it's gone be rockin in Augusta!!!

Also, St. Pat's is in 2 weeks----don't go hang down in Savannah, we party better up here!!!

Pillsbury, I agree. Augustas St. Patricks day is really a good time. When i was in high school (Aquinas) we always had that day off (since it is a Catholic holiday) and would go Downtown to (mostly do things I wasnt old enough to be doing!) and always trying to dodge one of our teachers, priests or other school officials who would be down there too...probably drinking green beer as well!)

Haha. Many of the Irish families get together and rent out the Ramada on St. Pat's Day. So that afternoon I'm standing in the hallway on like the 6th floor (non-smoking floor), and everybody is drunk, and you can't see anything because of the cigarette smoke, and I see a priest come through the haze, and walk up, and he's like got this mad look on his face, and then he's like, "Where's my beer????!!!!!" It was classic!!!

Some of the best times I've ever had have been in the weeks between March 1st and the 2nd week of April. I'll certainly miss it if I ever have to move.

• 1 month later...

Archived