The James Brown Soul of America Music Festival

PJA

I'm pretty much into music and have never heard of these bands. The one group that I had heard of and even owned a cd of was Nappy Roots, and they canceled. They were like the only national band that was on the list.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty much into music and have never heard of these bands. The one group that I had heard of and even owned a cd of was Nappy Roots, and they canceled. They were like the only national band that was on the list.

Yeah, Nappy Roots was the only one I'd heard of too. A friend of my girlfriend used to think they were called the Snappy Roots and once they played a concert at Fort Gordon and all she talked about was "oh I can't wait to see the Snappy Roots play!"

I know a lot of people who are huge fans of soul/funk music and go crazy everytime George Clinton or the Atomic Dawg come within 100 miles of Augusta, but they have no plans of attending this thing. By that same token, I also know people who are into new rock and they have no plans of attending either. In fact, I don't know anybody who actually plans on attending this concert.

According to Walker, James Brown is still going to attend the festival. Here are the details.

I heard on the radio yesterday that James Brown has a concert in Virginia Friday night and then a concert in Atlantic City Sunday. So the only day that James Brown could make it back to Augusta to perform would be Saturday. But at this point it doesn't look like James Brown is going to actually perform---at least not with his full band, which would still be in between AC and Virginia.

The first day of the even was unsuccessful in terms of attendance. The crowd was sparse but many people believe that today will be more successful because of James Browns appearance. It was also stated that once he was confirmed, ticket sales went up.

• 2 weeks later...

The organizers of the festival met with the city commission today. However little was resolved and some of the city leaders still feel they are getting two different stories of the altercation between Walker and the sherrif's department. Walker is still planning on having the festival next year.

• 2 weeks later...

I googled some of the bands listed, Viperfish and Me Talk Pretty. They don't really seem to have much in common with funk music, especially that Viperfish band. I guess I'm not that hip when it comes to new music because I'd never heard of either one even though one is from Charlotte. Me Talk Pretty seems like it would be an interesting concert. But I just don't know if the quality of bands justify a $35 ticket price--especially since no one seems to know when/if James Brown will actually show up..... My big concern is that this thing will be a flop, everyone will talk about how you can't throw a concert in Augusta, and we'll be stuck driving to Atlanta and Columbia for concerts for at least another 10 years.

My name is Omar and I am the drummer to Viperfish. Let me say a few things about our participation in this event:

Firstly, no one was as surprised as we were about playing this event. It was a concern of ours that our music wouldn't mesh well but where told this was not a concern. I don't know how this event looked like to the locals and spectators, which were wandering around looking clueless telling us they didn't even know about this event beforehand. So THAT explains a lot. From a musicians standpoint this event, although enjoyable to play, was a disaster of the highest order. First of all, the 8th street stage where they put us to play was facing away from traffic in an isolated corner sealed off by police. So the only audience we had were the vendors and the other bands. Not to mention that one of the cops on location was this psycho nazi who kept talking to us about the many people he has brutalized durring his tenure as a law enforcement officer! I don't know if this was supposed to impress the ladies of make him sound important but it was freaking us all out and we started to become concerned. I recommended the LAPD to him as a possible means of employment and he just didn't get the hint or the humor so I just let "Billy Joe Jim Bob' keep pacing up and down looking for someone having a good time to beat the $#!+ out of.

We were then approached by the promoters and told that there was a big name bluesguy called "Big Robert T" (I think) that was in his tour bus and was promised an entire band. Which had not been provided to him and he was now on location. We made the following offer:

If you can help us out by backing him up, we'll let you play a little longer. Not so generous considering the next 2 bands after us cancelled anyway. I volunteered as did my lead guitarist Jacob. So if you have a copy of the paper that appeared on day two of the event reporting the horrible turnout, you will see the center stage and that is Big Rob playing with me on drums, Jacob on guitar and a keyboardist and bassist from yet two other bands. We ended up doing an improv jam that got a standing O. We then had to break down lightning fast and head on down to The Playground 3 doors down to do it all over again. We played with Vocaldrop and by the time we made it to the hotel, it was 3AM and we had to take the 8th street stage again at 10AM, where we would be guaranteed that nobody would be there, not even the vendors. Already exhausted and disillisioned, we canceled that and headed home.

Did I have a good time? Sure I did. Was it a needed experience for a new band? Of course. Would I do it again?

Hell no.

Not until the 4th or 5th JBMF. Organization of this magnatude is expected to be a little shaky at first for an event this size but this was a disaster of epic proportions from inception to execution. We were told by the event people to not advertise our participation as some "big name acts" where going to be there and they wanted to announce it themselves. Which they never did (well) thus the startled look of the locals many of whom had only just heard about the event that day.

We are not a funk band nor ever claimed to be. But we enjoyed the comeraderie of other musicians of different genres and made some lifelong friendships. Augusta is an oven in the summer and to plan an outdoor event of this size when its 100 degrees in the shade takes more planning and better preperation that what was painfully evident at this event. The people of Augusta deserve better, and so did the performers. This in my opinion was not the best way to honor The Godfather of Soul.

I'm sorry your band was subjected to this festival. Believe me, James Brown didn't even want to participate in this event; the only reason he did was so it wouldn't totally embarass this city. The man who organized this event is a total sham. This is exactly what everyone feared would happen. Again, we're very sorry about your experience. You said you played at the Playground....was it crowded? I hope this doesn't cause you to give up on Augusta. We have a good live music scene here and we normally support bands coming through---so come back if you guys get a chance.

I'm sorry your band was subjected to this festival. Believe me, James Brown didn't even want to participate in this event; the only reason he did was so it wouldn't totally embarass this city. The man who organized this event is a total sham. This is exactly what everyone feared would happen. Again, we're very sorry about your experience. You said you played at the Playground....was it crowded? I hope this doesn't cause you to give up on Augusta. We have a good live music scene here and we normally support bands coming through---so come back if you guys get a chance.

Oh HELL YES I would be willing to play Augusta again! Augusta rocks! The people are awesome and the music scene has the potential of being VERY vibrant and exciting. This guy who organised this event clearly does not know what he is doing, as you said, is a "sham." Maybe he could work for the Senate Judiciary Commitee, or even The White House, or wherever unqualified dumbasses graduate to from when they leave The University of Incompotence and Stupiditry. Hey! Maybe he could even be President!... :rofl:

I will make it a point to play Augusta again as soon as the opportunity allows. This experience is NOT, I repeat NOT a reflection of Augusta, nor its wonderful and vibrant people. This simply was one isolated incident that has not scarred us into playing there again. No, The Playground was NOT crowded and the owner/manager was NOT informed we where supposed to play there until we arrived there. We had a great time and put on an awesome show. We had 7 people in the audience, which Michelle Ari pretty much ran off with her blithering musical tragedy. Oh well. We performed pretty much for Vocaldrop and my father. :rofl: HAHA! There maybe was 2 or three people there but the stage is i in the back and the bar is in the front. So although the bar was jumpin, they may not have even known there was a show going on the other side. We do have pictures of the event on both our websites at

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=60526166

and

http://www.viperfishmusic.com/joomla/

Again this is not Augustas fault and we know it and I hope every other performer or vendor knows it too. It would be my pleasure to return there. The city itself rocks.

Glad you guys at least had somewhat of a good time. Thanks too for giving us an insider's view of what really happened. Oh and Champ has already ran for office as a Democrat in a mostly Democratic district--he lost to a conservative Republican. Yeah, I think the national party was a little upset at that one.....

Hopefully Champ will wisen up and not try to run for a political postition (or run the James Brown festival next year). With his father and sister both convicted of felonies he would be wise to stay out of the spotlight. Unfortunately, his father still has some political influence despite being in prison.

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently Champ has opted not to plan next year's festival. The catch is his charity still has rights to the festival name so he will still be somewhat involved. But hopfully with some professional planners organizing the event, it will have a better outcome.

Here's an article.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

there is a rumor out there in Hollywood that there will be a James Brown movie in the making. I seen this cominh when Ray came out. Whos playing the GodFather of Soul you ask? None other than the R&B superstar Usher. Playing one of James Browns wives will be Blackeye Peas member Fergie. I really done know what to think right now but I hope it happens. First Ray Charles, soon James Brown and Maybe Little Richie. movie rumor

there is a rumor out there in Hollywood that there will be a James Brown movie in the making. I seen this cominh when Ray came out. Whos playing the GodFather of Soul you ask? None other than the R&B superstar Usher. Playing one of James Browns wives will be Blackeye Peas member Fergie. I really done know what to think right now but I hope it happens. First Ray Charles, soon James Brown and Maybe Little Richie. movie rumor

this movie could have a rippling effect on the Soul of America festival. The fact that Usher and Fergie would be in the movie there fans will go see it. Not to mention all of James Brown's fans. More stars from all genres will come to the event to show there respect to the Godfather. But we need better promotion and management to make the festival what it should be, a national event.

Archived