Bicycle Factory Project

GRDadof3

Thought we could go back to some real news for a change. There's a line item for setting a public hearing for an amendment to the Brownfield Plan for this project, South of GVSU's downtown campus, in the next City Commission Meeting agenda. I love that building. I used to have a picture, but can't find it :(

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought we could go back to some real news for a change. There's a line item for setting a public hearing for an amendment to the Brownfield Plan for this project, South of GVSU's downtown campus, in the next City Commission Meeting agenda. I love that building. I used to have a picture, but can't find it :(

You posted it a LONG time ago .. not that that helps, it was like last summer I think.... Does GVSU own that or something? I'm to lazy to go digging through the records :P

I don't know much about the renovation, but I think its a great place to view the skyline... Maybey dub Butterworth as Skyline Drive?

If this is the same building I'm thinking of, the windows were blown out and boarded up. One window was open and I saw plenty of space. I can see this as a dream for someone.

If I'm not mistaken, McGraw Construction owns this building and plans on doing the renovations. It is a great building. Actually, there a couple of cool buildings in this area...

Joe

You posted it a LONG time ago .. not that that helps, it was like last summer I think.... Does GVSU own that or something? I'm to lazy to go digging through the records :P

If I'm not mistaken, McGraw Construction owns this building and plans on doing the renovations. It is a great building. Actually, there a couple of cool buildings in this area...

Joe

Anyone know exactly what they want to do?.. I think it was discussed.. but as I said.. lazy....

I think lofts would be an obvious choice upstairs with the river, although I can't see that being a viable living area for the college students or young profesionals just because they'd be $$$ on the river, but... Ground floor... I'd put some Cafe's or something to appeal to the college folks, maybe a trendy shop of some sort. Maybe get Brian's books to move there from up the street.

They originally were talking lofts catering to grad students. I don't know if this is still the plan.

Joe

Anyone know exactly what they want to do?.. I think it was discussed.. but as I said.. lazy....

I think lofts would be an obvious choice upstairs with the river, although I can't see that being a viable living area for the college students or young profesionals just because they'd be $$$ on the river, but... Ground floor... I'd put some Cafe's or something to appeal to the college folks, maybe a trendy shop of some sort. Maybe get Brian's books to move there from up the street.

The location near GVSU is great for students. The other thing it's got going for it is that it's right next to the railroad track, so only students will probably be willing to put up with the noise. :)

I lived down there for the majority of my time at GVSU, and those trains can be loud. I think the loudest was the Amtrack that came through every morning headed to the station before making the trip to Chicago.

It will be interesting to see what they can do with that building though. It needs a lot of work, and although it's near GVSU, it's kind of out there so any sort of shop will probably have a hard time. I'd also like to see something happen with the buildings across Front street. One is owned by GVSU, I think, and the other with the cell tower on the top isn't.

-nb

That whole area is ripe for development. There are about a dozen buildings that would make great renovations. The spectrum industries building on the corner of Butterworth and Wealthy is a monster with a lot of potential right there on the river. IMO, what is holding the area back is the railroad tracks, which can make for a very loud neighbor, the padnos scrap yard, and the repo lot. There is a lot of land there, that if done correctly, could become the future home of another "project X".

I'd also like to see something happen with the buildings across Front street. One is owned by GVSU, I think, and the other with the cell tower on the top isn't.

-nb

That warehouse to which you're referring (not the cell tower one) changed ownership not long ago. I think mrknowitall is in on that one.

FYI, the city commission agenda is listing this as being made into a mixed used property. The main sticking point is, as I'm sure you can guess, parking. The building is landlocked, with space for only 20 parking spots. So they want to work out an agreement with GVSU for using some of their space. GVSU is agreeable to this, if the city will let them turn some of the old El Adobe land into parking for GVSU.

Sounds like this development has a ways to go before we will start seeing construction.

FYI, the city commission agenda is listing this as being made into a mixed used property. The main sticking point is, as I'm sure you can guess, parking. The building is landlocked, with space for only 20 parking spots. So they want to work out an agreement with GVSU for using some of their space. GVSU is agreeable to this, if the city will let them turn some of the old El Adobe land into parking for GVSU.

Sounds like this development has a ways to go before we will start seeing construction.

Thats odd. The building is on a very long street where you can have tons of on street parking.

I wonder why is the city still pushing the idea that every building has to have its own parking lot?

I wonder why is the city still pushing the idea that every building has to have its own parking lot?

They do this all the time. I don't understand it either. Why do we need minimum parking allotments? If a developer thinks they can sell something without a bunch of parking included why does the city feel the need to get in the way?

Seems like this area is dominated by scrapyard companies; Bayside & Padnos.

Do you think the day is soon when they'll be encouraged to move?

It seems like this area would really benefit if that type of industry was not there.

They are surround by residential, University and prime river front property...I wonder if they are waiting to cash in soon?

Seems like this area is dominated by scrapyard companies; Bayside & Padnos.

Do you think the day is soon when they'll be encouraged to move?

It seems like this area would really benefit if that type of industry was not there.

They are surround by residential, University and prime river front property...I wonder if there are waiting to cash in soon?

I wonder what type of EPA cleanup cost would need to happen to make these sites viable for re-use though.

The only problem is parking...

Welcome roberto! Until the sale is finalized, that information may be a little too sensitive for public consumption at this point.

Thanks for the welcome!

If you are you referring to the sale between the City and GVSU, I stand duly chastened!

Thanks for the welcome!

If you are you referring to the sale between the City and GVSU, I stand duly chastened!

Na.. he was referring to the sale that you are involved in. GRDad wasn't sure if you wanted such details to be so public. If you don't care, then we don't care, but remember.. anything you say on here is goign to be read by the local media.

Na.. he was referring to the sale that you are involved in. GRDad wasn't sure if you wanted such details to be so public. If you don't care, then we don't care, but remember.. anything you say on here is goign to be read by the local media.

Thanks Mike,

Public knowledge of this deal would neither help nor hurt. This is plan B for them. Plan A is the GVSU/City parking lot deal that is very public. Plan A has been in the works for 2 years, and McGraw simply needs to move forward on the project.

• 1 month later...

May 9th City Commission agenda items:

5) Resolution approving a Brownfield Redevelopment Plan Amendment - Bicycle Factory LLC

6) Resolution approving sale of land to Grand Valley State University

http://www.grand-rapids.mi.us/meeting.pl?m...484&type=agenda

This sounds good. The sale of city land to GVSU will open up parking spaces near the Bicycle Factory.

Who's brokering all the sales of city-owned land? :huh:

Archived