Bicycle Factory Project

GRDadof3

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Go to grcity.us, click on the Map link, click similar links a few more times. It will show you an aerial with lot lines and buildings. If you click on the Information icon it will show you who owns it, then you can find out details including lot size, year built, and so forth.

[damn!]

From a GVSU parking lot: still on fire as of 11:30 pm. But those old masonry walls are still standing. Big ladder truck dumping water from above.

On-air talent from Channel 3 (hi Ranji!) said that the 4-story building just towards 131 is storage for, um, stuff you don't want burning and wafting throughout the atmosphere.

Of course he got me to do some background on the building...and of course I was not unemotional in my presentation.

Damn.

I drove by the building on the way into work today. Not much left but some of the exterior walls. It was still smoldering and the fire department was still trying to control flare ups.

Very sad indeed. Sorry Paul and Jeff.......it was going to be a great project.

On-air talent from Channel 3 (hi Ranji!) said that the 4-story building just towards 131 is storage for, um, stuff you don't want burning and wafting throughout the atmosphere.

Of course he got me to do some background on the building...and of course I was not unemotional in my presentation.

Damn.

Another thing that sucks (besides the obvious) is this is the second building in recent memory that has gone up in flames as renovation was starting (the other being the Gilmore property on Fulton that went up as they were dismantling the old equipment in the building).

Have they talked about possible causes?

Joe

There's ash and debris scattered all over the Cherry/College area...I hadn't heard about the fire, just saw the ash chunks last night and this morning - had to do some investigating to find out where the massive fire was. Sad to lose a building about to realize its potential again!

From the news last night, it looked like the exterior walls were still partially intact. I wonder if the crumbled walls could somehow be saved and incorporated into a new building there? Sort of like the Millcity Museum in Minneapolis. At least it would save some of the exterior design and architectural heritage of the building, and might make for a cool looking project. Just a thought. The walls on the Bicycle Factory looked pretty darned thick.

MillCity.jpg

tower_large.jpg

millcity0724bl.jpg

I'll try and get some pictures of what's left today and maybe someone could throw up some sketchup ideas. It can't hurt.

Archived