Alabama Roads and Highways

jmanhsv

Which Highway Project is Most Important?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Which Highway Project is Most Important?

• Birmingham: Northern Beltline
    • Birmingham: US 280 Improvements
    • Birmingham, West Alabama: Interstate 22
    • Huntsville: Southern Bypass/Patriot Pkwy
    • Huntsville: Memorial Parkway Overpasses and Service Roads
    • Huntsville: Alabama 53 Widening
    • Huntsville: I-565 Extension East
    • Huntsville, North Alabama: Memphis-Huntsville-Atlanta Interstate
    • Montgomery: Southern Betline
    • Montgomery: I-65 Improvements
    • Montgomery, Black Belt: I-85 West Extension
    • Mobile: Western Bypass
    • Mobile: US 98 Widening
    • Mobile: I-10 Mobile River Bridge/Bayway
    • Other (explain)

Well, since no one from my area is saying it, :unsure: I will:

The most important highway project in Alabama is a Tennessee Valley freeway.

While home at Christmas, it was apparent that while local leaders in the Shoals area continue to talk and talk about attracting industry; to the degree that's going to work they're going to have to understand the lack of a limited access road is killing them. The interstate is paramount in 21st century America.

Beyond that, from my experience, Alabama's NEED list would include upgrading I-20 East and US-280 South as key priorities.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, since no one from my area is saying it, :unsure: I will:

The most important highway project in Alabama is a Tennessee Valley freeway.

While home at Christmas, it was apparent that while local leaders in the Shoals area continue to talk and talk about attracting industry; to the degree that's going to work they're going to have to understand the lack of a limited access road is killing them. The interstate is paramount in 21st century America.

I'd be willing to bet that Shoals officials realize that the area's lack of access to an interstate is their greatest obstacle in attracting industry. I guess they are doing the best they can with the things they have (intersection of two railroads, river access, three US highways). I am sure they are hoping and pleading that ALDOT could put the Memphis-Huntsville-Atlanta interstate on the fast track.

IMO the only way any of us will see this highway built within the next 35 years is to see it built as a toll road.

I'd be willing to bet that Shoals officials realize that the area's lack of access to an interstate is their greatest obstacle in attracting industry.
You're right, of course. My hyperbole.

I am sure they are hoping and pleading that ALDOT could put the Memphis-Huntsville-Atlanta interstate on the fast track.
I see the hoping but not the pleading. Considering the central role the freeway will play in the survival of the area, I'm surprised the local delagation isn't carted away at the start of every new session chanting It's about the freeway! It's about the freeway! It's about the freeway! Etc. But it doesn't seem to be on the radar screen.

IMO the only way any of us will see this highway built within the next 35 years is to see it built as a toll road.
Toll roads in North Alabama... maybe on the next Mayan baktun.

You're right, of course. My hyperbole.

I see the hoping but not the pleading. Considering the central role the freeway will play in the survival of the area, I'm surprised the local delagation isn't carted away at the start of every new session chanting It's about the freeway! It's about the freeway! It's about the freeway! Etc. But it doesn't seem to be on the radar screen.

Toll roads in North Alabama... maybe on the next Mayan baktun.

Sorry if that sounded arrogant on my part. Lieutenant Governor-elect Jim Folsom (from Cullman) has mentioned that the Mobile-Tuscaloosa-Shoals interstate would be a priority for him. It probably won't get the attention of ALDOT Director Mr. McInnes, nor will the Memphis-Huntsville-Atlanta interstate. Not only would the latter attract industry to the Shoals, but it would also provide a faster way for Shoals residents to commute to Decatur and Huntsville (many currently commute in that direction every day). In the end you are right: Shoals representatives and officials are not pushing for the MEM-HSV-ATL interstate as hard as Huntsville officials are about their portion, Patriot Pkwy. However, we have not seen dirt moved on any of it yet, and I am pessimistic about when it will be moved too.

As for toll roads, Joe McInnes has mentioned that they are exploring the possibility of toll roads as a solution to fund some of the much-needed highway improvements across the state:

Besides the major road projects, McInnes is turning his attention to toll highways. Assistant Transportation Director Dan Morris, whom he hired to resolve the Reynolds case, is now working with consultants to determine if toll roads in Alabama are feasible.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess the Shoals is tired of waiting on an interstate that will probably never happen, so they want to extend 565 from Decatur to Florence. Times Daily article: Officials discussing I-565 spur to Florence
Reading that article is quite encouraging! I definitely think the concept deserves some scrutiny. An interstate spur to the Shoals neatly solves several commercial access, commuting and perception issues.

Admittedly I've always focused on a potential US-72 upgrade rather than a potential Alt US-72 upgrade, my bias, relatively rarely have I traveled between the Shoals and Huntsville south of the river. Offhand I'm curious what shape the end interchange in the Shoals would take, as it should tie into AL-157 into town and south to Cullman, as well as US-72 west to Mississippi and US-43 south to Russellville and Tuscaloosa, and perhaps a separate interchange for AL-133 over the new Patton Island Bridge corridor into Florence.

Lieutenant Governor-elect Jim Folsom (from Cullman) has mentioned that the Mobile-Tuscaloosa-Shoals interstate would be a priority for him.
Why? Again, my bias given my experience, is this even in the top 10 of new highways to worry about getting built? In terms of Shoals interstate access, there's shorter, cheaper and more relevant routes. In terms of the state, it seems like a long highway to build given the potential need (correct me if I'm wrong.) There's no interstate between Mobile and Little Rock, either, should one get built? I give Folsom a lot of credit for his performance as governor in the 90's, this however I see as sort of a luxurious campaign talking point.

Having that entire corridor four-laned or better with a single call number wouldn't be a bad idea though; hopefully it could be completed in faster fashion than AL-157.

In regards to toll roads, I don't think it's an impossibility, just that we would likely see advanced tolling practices in several states a good while before the concept would be embraced locally.

Admittedly I've always focused on a potential US-72 upgrade rather than a potential Alt US-72 upgrade, my bias, relatively rarely have I traveled between the Shoals and Huntsville south of the river. Offhand I'm curious what shape the end interchange in the Shoals would take, as it should tie into AL-157 into town and south to Cullman, as well as US-72 west to Mississippi and US-43 south to Russellville and Tuscaloosa, and perhaps a separate interchange for AL-133 over the new Patton Island Bridge corridor into Florence.

The Memphis-Huntsville-Atlanta highway has been planned to either use or parallel the Alt US 72 route south of the river. From the maps I have seen, ALDOT wants to bypass the Shoals to the south. I think there were talks of extending AL 133/Wilson Dam Rd south to tie into US 43/AL 13/AL 17 somewhere just north of Littleville. From the Shoals the interstate would then roughly parallel Alt US 72 bypassing the towns of Town Creek and Courtland before crossing the Tennessee River somewhere northwest of Decatur and and Browns Ferry Nuclear Plant. I believe there are also plans to connect the proposed Decatur/Hartselle Bypass to the interstate somewhere before it crosses the river. It would then pass north of Calhoun Community College tying into I-65 between I-565 and Athens, where the route would then take a southeasterly trek to intersect I-565 near the Huntsville International Airport.

I think that the Patton Island Bridge corridor should have been built at an interstate-grade facility so that if/when the Memphis-Huntsville-Atlanta highway is built, it would either connect directly to Florence if the highway passes south of the Shoals, or it could be used as part of the Memphis-Huntsville-Atlanta highway if it were to be built from Athens west to Florence. As it stands right now the city of Florence would not actually be connected directly to the interstate system unless the city annexed land southward.

I have never thought of the interstate being north of the river, but it would be very interesting to see how it would be routed around the Shoals if it were to follow US 72 to Athens.

• 1 month later...

i don't know why this thread hasn't been used more. there are tons of new threads for AL transportation; most could have gone here.

ALDOT is converting its passenger car fleet to biofuel, mostly E-85. i thought the price tag was pretty low considering the scope of the change (fitting pumps & tanks for a 1,600-car fleet):

http://www.al.com/news/press-register/inde....xml&coll=3

i like the justification that a state agency's doing this will help generate demand for biofuel and encourage its encroachment into other aspects of fuel delivery in the state.

also, the possibility that biofuels could one day be generated in-state is exciting, especially since the in-state sources would be more efficient than current corn-based fuels (which have a lot of environmental problems of their own, in terms of production).

I would vote for the US78/I22 project. This corridor is very important. As for the I-85 continuation through West Alabama, I drive AL25 or AL69 between Tuscaloosa and Mobile a lot and of all the times I've crossed US80, I think I have had to wait on a vehicle, at most, 3 or 4 times in 10 years. I agree that US80 should be upgraded to 4 lanes throughout the state, but as for interstate status, I just don't think it's traveled enough to be worth it.

What I would like to see is the eventual 4-laning of US43 between the current lane drop at Thomasville (split with AL5) and either Demopolis or even farther north to Eutaw and a junction with I-59 in Greene County, with at 65mph speed limit in the rural areas.

Should Alabama invest more money in roadways?

I think we should move away from road subsidies and get projects moving quicker with tolls. However, we need a long-range transportation plan, which must include public transit, to drive those projects. Presently, we just put band-aids on current traffic symptoms and allow underlying problems to remain unaddressed. We should invest more money in transit, sidewalks, bike paths, HOV lanes, etc.

84% of Alabama rush hour vehicles only occupied by 1 person, 2nd highest in nation

Alabama ranked second only to Michigan's 84.3 percent. What a dubious honor. Do we really want Detroit as our role model?

On I-65 through Jefferson and Shelby counties, 9 of 10 vehicles were occupied by only one person. On I-65 in the city of Birmingham, 92 to 93 percent of vehicles only had one occupant.

Planners recommend transit service and HOV lanes to relieve congestion. HOV lanes and bus rapid transit are mentioned as possibilities for Birmingham.

http://www.al.com/news/birminghamnews/inde....xml&coll=2

We've been head the way of Michigan for the past 2 decades. Alabama has very little foresight towards sustainable growth in neither development, transportation. or economics. 1955 law to prohibit state revenue to fund public transportation will go down in Alabama history as 1 of the dumbest things our state has done.

I am hoping that that the state will one day soon come to its senses are eliminate that dubious law that wastes some many resources to satisfy so few.

• 3 weeks later...

Alabama highway deaths in 2006 topped 1,200 for the first time since 1973

A preliminary report from the Department of Public Safety shows 1,208 deaths, and about 1,240 are expected for the final report. The highest annual highway death total ever recorded in Alabama was 1,251 in 1971.

Public Safety Director Chris Murphy is concerned about the number of deaths due to excessive speed, the high number of deaths on rural roads and an increase in motorcycle deaths. He says the department hopes to put more troopers on the road to help cut down on the number of accidents.

Birmingham News: Toll for 2006 tops 1,200, might climb

Alabama highway deaths in 2006 topped 1,200 for the first time since 1973

A preliminary report from the Department of Public Safety shows 1,208 deaths, and about 1,240 are expected for the final report. The highest annual highway death total ever recorded in Alabama was 1,251 in 1971.

Public Safety Director Chris Murphy is concerned about the number of deaths due to excessive speed, the high number of deaths on rural roads and an increase in motorcycle deaths. He says the department hopes to put more troopers on the road to help cut down on the number of accidents.

Birmingham News: Toll for 2006 tops 1,200, might climb

The thing is I've always said that everybody can't drive. That's why I say we need to invest in finding alternative forms of transporation other than private automobile.

• 2 weeks later...

It was just said it today's Birmingham News "Drivers' Side" column that for every 10mph you drive above 45 mph, the more likely to be in a fatal car wreck. An example was if you were driving 85 mph when you wreck then you are 16x more likely it would be fatal.

I'm sorry, but, I really think that state officials need to look at light rail. For areas like Huntsville-Decatur, Montgomery, and Mobile it could be a good fix to transportation problems. Suburban area of Birmingham could benefit to, but, the city is so mountainous it'd be hard to form a metro area network.

Huntsville and Decatur could support one, I'm sure of it. The traffic I see on the highways in the morning is horrible, and I've spoken to many people, around Hartselle, at least that wonder why the Huntsville metro and Decatur metro haven't come together to try and work out a function link between the two cities. As long as there's some sort of parking deck on either end and one or two in between at major stops on the route, I think it would work great. Have a few stations on one end in downtown Huntsville, another stop in the researh park, a feeder line from Redstone and Marshal, another station in Madison, another station in North Decatur/Southern Limestone, and a terminus somewhere on Central Parkway in Decatur.

I bet that the rails would even be over capacity.

• 1 month later...

Biofuel stations along I-65 through state?

I heard that there was a federal grant giving to allow this

I'm not sure who received this federal grant, but I remember hearing on NBC 13 that there was the purpose of the grant. It was to allow the opening of E85 fuel stations along the north-south interstate throughout Alabama. This would help the state allow more alternative fuel sources be purchased, thus leading to lowered gas prices locally. Did anybody hear anything about this?

The National Resources Defense Council released "Addicted to Oil: Ranking States' Oil Vulnerability and Solutions for Change." report last week and it revealed that Alabamians spend 4.6% of their annunal income on automobile fueling. We rank #14 amongst the national survey, Mississippi fared the worst (6.4%) and Connecticut spent the least (2.6%).

Gas guzzles our paychecks

• 2 weeks later...

Alabama ranked 43rd in a nationwide study on overall highway quality, which was based on highway spending and revenue, congestion, bridge maintenance and rural and urban road conditions. Even worse, the state ranked No. 49 in percentage of miles of urban interstate in poor condition and No. 48 in percentage of miles of rural interstate in poor condition. Alabama was No. 26 in urban interstate congestion, with more than 47 percent in gridlock.

According to an agency official, ALDOT is now spending its interstate budget entirely on interstates rather than diverting funds to local projects as it had in the past. Spending on resurfacing projects has more than doubled to address acknowledged maintenance issues.

Montgomery Advertiser: State highways rank 43rd in quality study

Alabama ranked 43rd in a nationwide study on overall highway quality, which was based on highway spending and revenue, congestion, bridge maintenance and rural and urban road conditions. Even worse, the state ranked No. 49 in percentage of miles of urban interstate in poor condition and No. 48 in percentage of miles of rural interstate in poor condition. Alabama was No. 26 in urban interstate congestion, with more than 47 percent in gridlock.

According to an agency official, ALDOT is now spending its interstate budget entirely on interstates rather than diverting funds to local projects as it had in the past. Spending on resurfacing projects has more than doubled to address acknowledged maintenance issues.

Montgomery Advertiser: State highways rank 43rd in quality study

this just shows what most already know, ALDOT in it's current form is not able to meet the needs of this state. They can make all the excuses they want but it is a poorly run political tool. Their lack of planning and not using the money when allocated has allowed ALDOT to be overrun with impossible tasks. All of ALDOT planning is so far in the future that it holds no one accountable for current needs and allows the same old lame excuses, "no money, (lie), engineering difficulties, unexpected historical sites blah, blah. Your tax dollars asleep at the wheel.

this just shows what most already know, ALDOT in it's current form is not able to meet the needs of this state. They can make all the excuses they want but it is a poorly run political tool. Their lack of planning and not using the money when allocated has allowed ALDOT to be overrun with impossible tasks. All of ALDOT planning is so far in the future that it holds no one accountable for current needs and allows the same old lame excuses, "no money, (lie), engineering difficulties, unexpected historical sites blah, blah. Your tax dollars asleep at the wheel.

And they just crashed into a telephone pole on I-65. Too bad we'll have to wait a few years to get that fixed.

Why does Riley not see something is wrong here. If he does, someone please tell me. It seems like he should see that this branch of government needs to just be turned over, or something. Get the old out. Get some people from out of state to come in and reform this piece of crap.

And they just crashed into a telephone pole on I-65. Too bad we'll have to wait a few years to get that fixed.

Why does Riley not see something is wrong here. If he does, someone please tell me. It seems like he should see that this branch of government needs to just be turned over, or something. Get the old out. Get some people from out of state to come in and reform this piece of crap.

Riley knows this, but he just doesn't seem to care anymore. He attempted to fix this back in 2003 when first gotten into office with a bill that would have created a governor-appointed committee that would oversee highway projects. Each member were to come from the different ALDOT districts. However, the bill died on the State Senate floor and hasn't be brought back up since. All Riley is trying to do now is recruit manufacturing jobs to economically depressed parts of the state.

You all know how lack of progress, and a lack-of-the-words, the State Legislature was this even after their much touted they were going to do and ended up doing nothing.

Riley knows this, but he just doesn't seem to care anymore. He attempted to fix this back in 2003 when first gotten into office with a bill that would have created a governor-appointed committee that would oversee highway projects. Each member were to come from the different ALDOT districts. However, the bill died on the State Senate floor and hasn't be brought back up since. All Riley is trying to do now is recruit manufacturing jobs to economically depressed parts of the state.

You all know how lack of progress, and a lack-of-the-words, the State Legislature was this even after their much touted they were going to do and ended up doing nothing.

Here's what I would suggest. Though, no one important is going to read this, so, I don't see why it matters, but, oh well.

1) Get the government to thoroughly investigate every project that is being proposed or wanted, no matter how old or minor or large it is. All of these projects should then be ranked using statistics gathered from the investigations.

2) After these rankings are finished, send them to each and every district branch. Those branches would then contact the authority of the proposed projects. For example: District Bubba would contact Bobby Rae township to see if the proposed highway (Bobby Rae Memorial Bubbaway) was still needed. Bobby Rae township would then say yes or no

3) These final yeses and nos would be sent back to ALDOT for the final rankings and evaluations.

4) After this, the government sets finishing dates, that are realistic.

5) The government then works their tails off to get funding for these projects and gets them started.

No in the order of reform:

I think something to the effect of the U.N. would be good. Except not for the purpose that the U.N. was created of course. But, the Security Council makeup is a good model, just a few changes. Note, these positions are to watch what the ALDOT is doing, not operate it, just keep it in order and on track.

State Transit Board

There would be 12 permanent members. One from each of the 12 metro areas that are present in Alabama (including Columbus-Phenix City, in their case the member could come from either GA or AL). One from Birmingham, Mobile, Huntsville, Montgomery, Tuscaloosa, Decatur, Florence, Dothan, Auburn, Anniston, and Gadsden areas.

So far, 12 permanent members, each elected by the people in the metro area. Known as the Board Officials

Then, we'd have one appointed official from each of the core cities of those metro areas. They would be Chief Delegates.

After them would come one elected official from each of the counties within each of the metro and micropolitan areas. These would be known as Vice Delegates. However, if there happen to be two counties in a metro area, that both have less than 30,000 people, that if added would equal a population less than 50,000, those two counties would combine population with the core county, and then the population from those additions would be used to figure the amount of delegates.

After these Vice Delegates, there would be at least one delegate for every county in the state. Counties with over 100,000 would provide two delegates. Counties with over 300,000 would provide three. 600,000 would provide 4. Of course any county in a metro or micro with less than 100,000 would provide just the one delegate. These would be known as Transit Representatives.

So, here's how the numbers break down.

In total: 128

Board Officials: 12

Chief Delegates: 12

Vice Delegates: 37

Transit Representatives: 67

Here's the breakdown for the metro areas.

These numbers do not include the transit representatives

Birmingham-Hoover: 13

Mobile: 5

Huntsville: 6

Tuscaloosa: 4

Decatur: 5

Florence: 4

Dothan: 4

Auburn: 4

Anniston: 4

Gadsden: 4

I think that looks to be pretty fair. Of course, the micro counties would each get one delegate too. Then you add all of the sixety seven transit representatives for each and every county in the state.

Any objections? I think it would work pretty smoothly. Just remember Birmingham has a lot of delegates, but, they can't overpower, the only reason they have so many is because they have so many counties. Each counties works separately. Like, Shelby County isn't going to be working with Walker County. Etc...

• 2 weeks later...

According to a consultant hired by ALDOT to help plan for future transportation needs, Alabama must come up with new revenue sources to build the roads, bridges and public transit systems that residents want. Any of us on this board could have told them that. Tolls and public-private partnerships were mentioned as possibilities to help fund future projects.

Montgomery Advertiser: Consultant says funds needed to improve roads

Archived