Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick's State of the City Address

BarGal

I haven't seen anything here about Kwame's recent State of the City Address in the forums yet, so I thought I'd share with you a portion of an email I got today from DetroitSynergy.

"State of the City on your time Did you miss Detroit's State of the City address? Would you like to hear it again? You're in luck! Hear everything Detroit's Mayor Kwame M. Kilpatrick has to say by listening to his State of the City speech on your MP3 player or computer."

I myself haven't listened to it completely yet, it's around 42 minutes long...I did hear part of it on the radio during the drive home and found it interesting.

Link to download the MP3 file of the speech (>5 MB)

Oops! I noticed too late I misspelled download in the subtitle and it doesn't appear that there's a way I can fix it so, sorry....

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Detroit leadership is going to have to become fiscal conservatives, and quick. The citizens are also going to have to take blows to their pride and stomach the fact that they will not be running like a "normal" city for quite a few years. This is going to be more than painful. Their going to have to run the city on a shoestring budget to avoid receivership.

I finally listened to the whole speech and I rather enjoyed it!

He did say all the right things and sounded pretty convincing. Yeah, it'll be hard and some of the plans won't come through but change doesn't happen overnight, it happens in baby steps.

And now, things are a little different than they have been in past years...with the recent successful hosting of some MAJOR events, people outside of Detroit are starting to pay attention to what's going on around here.

I'm psyched! The Mayor's got me geeked up about the "New Detroit"! I'm feeling some "Detroit Love" right about now.

That is one of the few things I love about Kwame. When he isnt defending his own stupidity and actions he really does get you excited about the city and I love his enthusiasm. His greatest assets as a politician is his charisma and his ability to give great speeches. Im really hoping that within the next 4 years I can add leadership to those other characteristics.

Archived