Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dmccall

Question about Civic Center

Hi all!

My wife is from Roanoke and we really enjoy going up from Raleigh to see them. When we drive by the Civic Center I always wonder what the two-story building on stilts, between the arena and auditorium, is. Can someone help me out here?

You know, I think those offices went up when the arena football team that has since disolved came to town. I can't remember if that was a primary reason why they were built or if it was just part of a general plan to expand/udate the civic center. Steven do you have any more info on who is in there? I kinda like the structure. Different look than the buildings that surround it, but as you all know, I like that! :D

So it's just offices?? It looks like the second floor is full and the third floor is empty. Strange that they built in on stilts, though. Floodplane??? :D

Steven do you have any more info on who is in there? I kinda like the structure. Different look than the buildings that surround it, but as you all know, I like that! :D
I think it's administrative offices for the civic center. The new exhibit hall will have some of that same flavor on the exterior.

I think it's administrative offices for the civic center. The new exhibit hall will have some of that same flavor on the exterior.

Glad to hear it. I was afraid it might be another giant nearly windowless concrete block. I hope it is done well and pays off in terms off attracting more convention business. Being the hub of Southwest Vriginia, I think that is possible with proper facilities. I'd like to see a nice hotel attached as many cities do with their convention centers. Might give us another highrise? Downtown is lacking in number of nice hotel rooms. Have the trolley built from Carilion Medical Center to the Civic Center (which is what I believe was proposed) and people staying at a hotel that was part of the Civic Center would be connected to downtown.

I'm not sure about that structure, but I have a link showing the construction progress on the new exhibit hall right next to the interstate.

http://www.branch-associates.com/baa/proje.../slideshow.aspx

Thanks! When you put the delay at 0, it is prety cool to watch the tranformation. It is becoming much larger than I initially thought it was going to be.

Thanks, StevenRocks. Haven't I seen you on the Raleigh board??