Demonbreun/Shoney's property

it's just dave

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Considering the alternative [nothing] to what the Demonbreun strip has become, I'm very happy that so many businesses are finding success there, regardless of the finishes on the renovated buildings. What I do hope is that 3-4 additional floors are added above this entire row of buildings [as is the case with Mercurcy View lofts above the old Javanco building in the Gulch] to match the new multi-level construction coming across the street. If that were to happen, I guess all the facades would have to be retooled anyway. I like the outdoor seating areas; when the weather is nice, the area is typically packed with people.

What a change this is to what used to be there a number of years ago. It looks much better than before, and with new housing coming in later as well as the emergence of the Gulch projects, I see the making of a significant urban neighborhood in the works.

The transaction for this property is listed in today's City Paper:

21, 25, 27 & 1528 Music Circle East and 1521 & 1525 Demonbreun St., Nashville, 37203, Music Square Properties LLC/Alexander-Smith LP/Smith-Alexander Enterprises Inc. to LUI Nashville Roundabout LLC, $9,150,000

along with another interesting transaction:

112 Second Ave. N., Nashville, 37203, Robert D. Schatz/Paul P. Griffin to Gary Bowie, $1,750,000

Bowie is a co-developer of Phoenix Lofts on 3rd Ave N/Printer's Alley.

along with another interesting transaction:

112 Second Ave. N., Nashville, 37203, Robert D. Schatz/Paul P. Griffin to Gary Bowie, $1,750,000

Bowie is a co-developer of Phoenix Lofts on 3rd Ave N/Printer's Alley.

Does anyone know which property this is. I would guess it's close to the Market St. Brewery.

It's listed as the Market Street Emporium which is one and the same I think.

Market Street Emporium, at least according to whats written on the building, is the one that has the little coffee shop, cafe, oxygen bar, etc. inside it. Market Street Brewery is actually up the road a little bit.

Which leads me to a question... why does all this stuff have Market Street in front of it? There's also Market St. Apartments... which is on 2nd ave also I believe. Did 2nd ave used to be called Market Street or something?

Thanks Jice, I should have been paying attention, or taken more time after a nap to post. I'm glad it's not the Brewery, and am still a bit sad over the Emporium. I'm sure good things will come of it, but since I've been scurrying around 2nd Avenue for nearly 40 years, some familiarity feels right to me. I always enjoyed the little coffee shop and the Windows on the Cumberland club (is it even still there?).

One of my earlierst memories of Second Ave. was going to Phillips & Quarles Hardware (the Hard Rock) building with my grandfather. He and Mr. Quarles were good friends as he was builder and seemed to know everyone in town. Oddly, my mom (83) remembers going to an earlier Phillips & Quarles location on Broadway with him.

When I was 16, I worked for a neighborhood drugstore and Tennessee Wholesale Drug Company was on Second. I never gave much thought to to backing into the diagonal parking and going into that dusty old warehouse (near Commerce on Second) to pick up the orders. It was busy place, and as bozorch says had been since the late 1800s. There's many old famous photos of the river traffic on first unloading goods into the warehouses.

Practically all the streets had different, more homey names, early on. Market, Cherry, Elm...not a Mayberry, but certainly a smaller, more intimate place.

Archived