Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

urbanophile

NY Times on the "Pixburgh" Accent

kool article!

I guess I do speak "Pittsburghese." I can't really (rilly) hide it -- it's always going to be there. I'm sort of proud...er...Prahd of it now. :D

However, I don't say PiXburgh. Though, my brother-in-law pronounces it that way - how weird of him. lol

I think the dialect is here to stay (at least for another several generations) - but there's no doubt that it's being influenced more and more by the "generic American dialect". (those beotchs :D )

Especially when I hear my niece say "MOM" ... it sounds so foreign to me. Although we do spell it Mom - Mum is the way most pittsburghers pronounce it! ;)

^^nice to see that some of the Pittsburgh diversity is being celebrated instead of being scorned. I don't think we should forget proper English but I think too many in this metro are shamed b/c of their native speech.

^^nice to see that some of the Pittsburgh diversity is being celebrated instead of being scorned. I don't think we should forget proper English but I think too many in this metro are shamed b/c of their native speech.

Most of it I think is fine typical regional dialect, but "Pixburgh" is just harsh and awful.

Ugh.