Request for Letters of Interest - 201 Market

GRDadof3

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well if that doesn't spell ot the guidelines for project X within the vision.

Interesting points on the use of the river and the requirement of incorperating recreational opportunities on the river within the design.

They also seemed to leave out London's business development across the street in thier Grandville /Market corridor section while mentioning other project only in the planning stages. Funny how they're not promoting such an entertainment draw. :rofl:

Some interesting snippets...

The frontage on the Grand River provides an unprecedented opportunity not only to open up views of the City's most recognized natural resource, but to utilize it for recreation activities not currently available in downtown.

We expect proposed projects to make significant investments that result in job creation and urban residential growth.

We will require that the site integrate with the river in its design and offer new opportunities for

interaction with the waterway.

Vertical, mixed-use density is envisioned.

The Plan places a strong emphasis on mixed-use, pedestrian-oriented, green and high-density urban envirionment.

This is a very flexible zone district where there is no setback or density requirement, height limits may be waived and parking standards are halved.

It's on the agenda: http://www.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us/meeting.p...469&type=agenda

This is the same timeline that I read about over a week ago. I predicted that on the 22nd or 23rd we might have an announcement of some sort. The city commission meeting linked above is for the 21st.

The project X announcement Could NOT have come before the city approves the Request for Letters.

^Yes it can... Project X, can anounce their intent on the private options. Althought I think this will be a Wed of next week thing.

Until the city votes to entertain offers, Project X really couldn't annouce to use public land that wasn't even technically and legally up for sale. That would be very presumptious and would smack of "insider knowledge". Am I missing something?

WTF? I quoted part of your statment and you edited it while i was typing a reply and it changed the part of your statement I was quoting. Bizarre. Now It might sound confusing.

I wonder if this is something that the developers of project-x asked to make sure was included. Does anybody know the current height limits? Probably not.

Torgo knows all the height restrictions around downtown, so he could probably tell ya. But I doubt they did this for Project X.

I wonder if this is something that the developers of project-x asked to make sure was included. Does anybody know the current height limits? Probably not.

I believe the zone directly north of the project X land (north of the s-curve) has no height limit. And the zone directly to the east is limited to 85', with additional height bonuses for residential and retail buildings...

I'd guess that the height limit of the the project X site is either 60' or 85'. Torgo? :dontknow:

edit: on second thought, this site is probably I-1 or I-2 industrial, so if my old zoning book is still correct, the height limit is 45' or three stories, whichever is shorter. It's no wonder the heights would be waived then; three stories = not very exciting.

It saddens me when you use the word "if".

Don't be sad Northender. If you think about it, did anything really "exist" in the first place, other than rumors and speculations? Did anyone here actually "see" a non-disclosure agreement? I'm not proposing the whole thing was cooked up for other monetary reasons or anything, but it's not like there was a concrete proposal and construction underway with the rug pulled out. That happens a lot with mammoth development projects.

Be patient, we're on the precipice of a 5 - 8 year development boom in Grand Rapids. :thumbsup: I think the last time GR saw more development was in the 1902 - 1910's, when something like 96 commercial and institutional structures were built downtown. :w00t:

Don't be sad Northender. If you think about it, did anything really "exist" in the first place, other than rumors and speculations? Did anyone here actually "see" a non-disclosure agreement? I'm not proposing the whole thing was cooked up for other monetary reasons or anything, but it's not like there was a concrete proposal and construction underway with the rug pulled out. That happens a lot with mammoth development projects.

Be patient, we're on the precipice of a 5 - 8 year development boom in Grand Rapids. :thumbsup: I think the last time GR saw more development was in the 1902 - 1910's, when something like 96 commercial and institutional structures were built downtown. :w00t:

The only reason it saddens me if it doesn't happen, is because driving down in that area yesterday, on front, ionia, commerce, and other streets in that area, there are SO many old abandonded buildings, I couldn't help but think of a time they were all full, and thriving, and now they are just statues of a booming time.

but isn't that one of the fastest growing areas of Downtown? The heartside has had all kinds of goodthings going on, not to mention the complete rebuild of commerce and Ionia in that area. and alot of those abandoned buildings have already been refurbished!

I believe the zone directly north of the project X land (north of the s-curve) has no height limit. And the zone directly to the east is limited to 85', with additional height bonuses for residential and retail buildings...

I'd guess that the height limit of the the project X site is either 60' or 85'. Torgo? :dontknow:

edit: on second thought, this site is probably I-1 or I-2 industrial, so if my old zoning book is still correct, the height limit is 45' or three stories, whichever is shorter. It's no wonder the heights would be waived then; three stories = not very exciting.

I dont know offhand what the restrictions or zoning (probably industrial) is in that area, but grcentro is probably right. But if the developer wants to build a tall building and requests a rezoning for that 30 acres, I would bet that the city would be more than willing to accomodate them. ;)

Does anybody here know where the city is with the new form-based ordinance? I haven't heard much on this in quite a while.

Archived