Douglas J/Aveda Institute - 138 Commerce

Mark Miller

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(Station C is on Wealthy, now rehabbed but used to be Station C recording studio)?

Correct Station C used to be on Wealthy St. Helmus Bros. used half of the building and the Post office used the East side of the building. When we rehabbed it there was still part of a conveyor system for mail handling in the basement. There is still a large safe in there that says USPS on it. When it was a recording studio the Verve Pipe recorded their Villians album there.

The current post office for the area on Lake Dr. in Easttown is still refered to as Station C.

I too thought this price was crazy high. Anyone have a justification for this? Don't get me wrong, I think it's awesome that they value the area so highly, but that seems like a TON.

I have heard they paid $450,000 for the piece! This is from a very reliable source next door who has ownership of a whole city block nearly~ IT could have been a super cool high end car shop... Imported sports cars with a killer show room perhaps???

I have heard they paid $450,000 for the piece! This is from a very reliable source next door who has ownership of a whole city block nearly~ IT could have been a super cool high end car shop... Imported sports cars with a killer show room perhaps???

Let me guess, would this use have complimented your sources business? ;)

kinda back tracking a bit, but It makes a little, just a little, why they used it for a parking ramp. Have you guys ever tried parking in that area? it's nutz, it's much much worse Thurs - Sat night, try getting a spot around there when it's bar night. I think the heartside would benefit from a ramp there, I hear there getting one. I think it's just one more reason for lightrail. It would be so much easier hopping on an el train, heading home after bar night!

kinda back tracking a bit, but It makes a little, just a little, why they used it for a parking ramp. Have you guys ever tried parking in that area? it's nutz, it's much much worse Thurs - Sat night, try getting a spot around there when it's bar night. I think the heartside would benefit from a ramp there, I hear there getting one. I think it's just one more reason for lightrail. It would be so much easier hopping on an el train, heading home after bar night!

They're getting one accross the street. And I've never had a problem parking in that area. Sometimes it takes 10 minutes, and sometimes the walk sucks, but i'm there every thursday and either friday or saturday and it's much easier over there than it is north of fulton (I don't do ramps). My opinion anyway...

Let me guess, would this use have complimented your sources business? ;)

Ha :thumbsup: It just might have...

I just like the fact that when you travel to Chi-Town you see a few of the high end car dealers d-town and it is a cool site for sure... GR is a little small for that now, but as we know this could change rather quickly :)

Ha :thumbsup: It just might have...

I just like the fact that when you travel to Chi-Town you see a few of the high end car dealers d-town and it is a cool site for sure... GR is a little small for that now, but as we know this could change rather quickly :)

I know what you mean-- I am a BMW fan and always love those DT dealers, cool stuff in the showrooms.

And if we are talking about the same business...they are great...been doing business with them for years...and refer everyone I know. Low overhead for sure...but they sure get the job done.

I know what you mean-- I am a BMW fan and always love those DT dealers, cool stuff in the showrooms.

And if we are talking about the same business...they are great...been doing business with them for years...and refer everyone I know. Low overhead for sure...but they sure get the job done.

Breaker 1-9 that is a big 10-4 come on~

When I was in Tokyo last October they had a lot of car dealerships right in the middle of the equivalent of Michigan Avenue. It was cool to see a nice showroom with 4-5 cars on display and NO LOT.

The automated parking lifts are cool also. I wonder if anyone in GR has ever thought of this concept? Maybe there is still too much available space for that...

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

I beleive beaners future plans include expanding rapidly (according to people who know about these things).. they may be at both locations.

Today's business review says Beaners is looking to grow to 20 or 30 stores in western Michigan in the next 18-24 months. Between GR, Kalamazoo, and Holland they have 9 now.

Too bad the coffee stinks. ;) I'd still like to see one downtown but I think Four Friends and Starbucks has Beaner's beat in the taste department.

Joe

Today's business review says Beaners is looking to grow to 20 or 30 stores in western Michigan in the next 18-24 months. Between GR, Kalamazoo, and Holland they have 9 now.

• 1 month later...

Sorry, put my emPHAsis on the wrong syLLAble. What I meant is there are other schools of cosmetology in Grand Rapids, I believe, not other Douglas J's. :P

I don't think that $750,000 is unreasonable. I would bet it would actually fetch more cash if it were just a surface lot. Anyone know how much Tall House is paying for the surface lot they are buying?

I heard this morning that the city is asking $57 per square foot of land for the lot behind the arena (the movie theater deal). With 49,368 SF of land, the art museum property would be $2,800,000 at $57/SF. I don't know how many SF are in the art museumbuilding, but a year old appraisal for an office building a block or 2 away had a value of $167 per square foot of building.

Looks cool! It will be fun to watch this one take shape, that post office has been a shell for so long! Being an Aveda Institute, I'd guess they'll use lots of "green" materials in the construction process. Aveda uses renewable/recycled materials in its packaging/products.

Yeah, the missing chunk is just to the left in that picture out of view. Douglas J's view is looking Southeast, so the lamp post on the far right is the same one in that picture, just from a different angle (looking NE).

Yeah, the missing chunk is just to the left in that picture out of view. Douglas J's view is looking Southeast, so the lamp post on the far right is the same one in that picture, just from a different angle (looking NE).

Ooook, I see it now. Phew, I was getting worried. False alarm everyone. :)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Saw some activity on this site yesterday...

Me too! When I drove by after work, they were putting up big sheets of plastic on the south-facing "windows." It wasn't clear what the next step would be - whether it was to contain the site or if they were going to be doing work on the outside of the structure. Can't wait to watch the progress day-by-day!

Archived