Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mark Miller

Douglas J/Aveda Institute - 138 Commerce

Another reason why the old should be reused:

146918328_c9bf6a2c74_o.jpg

...Other facade renovations include a patio seating area with landscaping and lighting, new front steps off Commerce Street, a revolving front door, and glass sectional garage doors to replace a portion of the west wall.

Looking good! They did quite a nice job on the North wall (that used to be all open).

355170566_31b5edd8d1.jpg

I assume they'll paint the rail to match?

355170567_cc037f58da.jpg

355170571_551d6d5838.jpg

I was always kind of fond of the burned out parking shell in a really sad sort of way. But, I also enjoy driving though Gary, IN to see all the rusty old industrial buildings, so maybe I'm weird.

I used to work in the United Way center and had to park in this structure when I drove to work. The ceiling came down on cars on a fairly regular basis. I was under the understanding that it couldn't be touched since it was a historical building. Looking forward to seeing the final renovation though. Great transition from parking to structure.

Word on the street is that they're opening on Tuesday 2/6 -- that explains a lot! I've heard that when they opened the school in East Lansing and the one in Ann Arbor it was the round the clock work up until the doors opened.

What's the date today? Man, talk about cutting it close. Still a few punchlist items, but looks great though! Note: these pictures are not an effort to take the topic off of homeless issues, just that it's a nice day out today.

382891061_f5ed4a17a2_b.jpg

382897139_e73e5aa566_b.jpg

382897142_73b7e8a0f4_b.jpg

382897149_ef24def552_b.jpg

No kidding. I used to walk by that garage all the time. Does anyone have a 'before' photo for comparison? Thanks.

They've now installed the cool "garage doors" on the Western glass wall. According to RapidGrowth, they'll be operable in the warmer months to open up the inside to the outdoor patio. :shades: I'll try to get pictures when I'm in that area again.

I stopped in to check out the interior over the weekend (and to buy some hair products!) and the inside is pretty spare, but cool! The classrooms will also have garage doors that close the class off from the salon/clinic floor. The main salon area seems like it's going to be quite loud what with the open, tall celing situation. There's a spa area on the north side of the building that's more private and quiet. It was fun to be in there remembering what a shell it was just a few months ago.

Check it out if you have a chance - the employees were nice and willing to give tours!

They still have the orange warning fence up. That happened about a year ago. I can't believe the city hasn't gotten on their ass about it yet.

Isn't the crazy stitched building a Rockford Construction project that is "supposed to start" in this year?

Joe

They still have the orange warning fence up. That happened about a year ago. I can't believe the city hasn't gotten on their ass about it yet.

Isn't the crazy stitched building a Rockford Construction project that is "supposed to start" in this year?

Joe