Any Chance of an Urban Fastfood downtown?

OneSweetWorld

Is there any chance that McDonalds or Burger King would build an urban fast food restaurant in downtown Grand Rapids? Just for kicks, I have some links of pictures of Mickey-Dee's in other downtowns.

But I still would like to know if there is any chance of one like these coming to DT GR...

NYC: http://www.markatweb.de/Photoside/NY/MCDONALDS.jpg

Sydney, Australia: http://washington.osu.edu/images/Downtown%20Sydneyb.JPG

Shanghai: http://www.drake.edu/artsci/PolSci/ipe/McDonalds.JPG

Puebla, Mexico: http://www.reachingpuebla.com/City/Cityima...ldscentro-g.jpg

Hell, maybe even something like this one: http://www.reachingpuebla.com/City/Cityima...ldscentro-g.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6696972_af2ea54e50_m.jpg

Carry on....

I've never understood the concept of a triple-thick milkshake. What is the ANSI standard for a 1X thick milkshake to be compared to a 3X thick milkshake?

It seems to me that at some point you get close to the consistency of concrete..........

When I was in St. Louis on a business trip several years ago I went to an ice cream joint on old Route 66. They served you your milkshake upside down to show you just how thick it really was. It seemed a bit strange.

I've never understood the concept of a triple-thick milkshake. What is the ANSI standard for a 1X thick milkshake to be compared to a 3X thick milkshake?

It seems to me that at some point you get close to the consistency of concrete..........

When I was in St. Louis on a business trip several years ago I went to an ice cream joint on old Route 66. They served you your milkshake upside down to show you just how thick it really was. It seemed a bit strange.

I'm guessing there are no ANSI, ISO, FCC, LEED, UL or any other standards to how thick a milkshake is. Although maybe that one qualifies for some sort of LEED. It is "green" ya know. :P

(sorry for the lame humor, it's all i got today)

I'm guessing there are no ANSI, ISO, FCC, LEED, UL or any other standards to how thick a milkshake is. Although maybe that one qualifies for some sort of LEED. It is "green" ya know. :P

I don't know, it could be an ISO14001 environmental issue. :thumbsup:

I'd just like to see them actually be able to produce all the paperwork required (and that I'll demand) when I order my LEED certified milkshake.

At what point does it become ice cream with a straw?

The longer these clowns stay out of Downtown, the happier I'll be.

I agree. What we need are small, independent places (like Wealthy Street Grill) that can serve a burger and fries when you need one. Yes McDonalds is convenient, but they don't really help the local economy any more than a CVS takes the place of a local pharmacy.

Ok kids, you finally have started a topic in my area of expertise. ( and no i'm sure as heck not proud of that) Do none of you remember say not to long ago at all when there were more than a couple of fast food choices down town? Mcdonalds leaving had nothing to do with people in the McKay tower smelling fries in the afternoon. They closed when the lease was up because at that time, they had a semi saturated market with the Michigan St. location. Without a drive thru Mcdonalds makes almost no $ and downtown pedestrian traffic doesn't have enough volume for them to turn a profit right now. It's also the same reason Arby's closed their downtown location. That, and as safety goes they got robbed alot, got way to expensive to insure.

Side note, don't expect McD's to close their Michigan St. location anytime soon, it's the 3rd busiest location in the state of Michigan. Spectrum would have to offer them somewhere over 20 mill before they'd consider. It's a corporate owned restaurant, and unlike the Burger King that was where the big hole is, it has much deeper returns and pockets.

The "rock n roll" McD in DT Chicago is practically a tourist attraction in its own right. Not exactly a final destination, but certainly a detour on the way to an observation deck, the aquarium, or Mag Mile shopping.

It won't be long before DT GR gets something by way of a "greasy spoon" or diner style coney island. There's a hot dog joint on Monroe Plaza at Rosa Parks I occasionally stop at.

Between the growing population and the increasing workforce, breakfast could be packed daily.

The "rock n roll" McD in DT Chicago is practically a tourist attraction in its own right. Not exactly a final destination, but certainly a detour on the way to an observation deck, the aquarium, or Mag Mile shopping.

It won't be long before DT GR gets something by way of a "greasy spoon" or diner style coney island. There's a hot dog joint on Monroe Plaza at Rosa Parks I occasionally stop at.

Between the growing population and the increasing workforce, breakfast could be packed daily.

The Koney on Ionia keeps the most bizzare hours.. seems like expensive real estate for that.

Is it any good? I've been meaning to stop by but have not had a chance . . .

I've only seen it open when I'm going into McFadden's, and at that point i'm not looking for a hot dog. Whenever I drive by in the day looking for lunch or something, they're not open. So I'm not sure.

The Koney on Ionia keeps the most bizzare hours.. seems like expensive real estate for that.

There's a reason for that. They had a tenant have a water main break above them from what I've heard. It did EXTENSIVE damage to the kitchen, and I'm not sure (I haven't been around the last 2 weeks), but I know it was going to take some time to get things back at 100% operational.

Careful GR, I spent 3 months in a Manhattan neighborhood that had the McDonald's below. Not even an attempt to blend!

Wolverine, can you dig up and share with us a pic of the late (but not lamented) McD's that was in DT A2? The one with the stained glass arched window and architecturally significant design? Between Liberty and William, I think on Maynard?

It holds a place in my heart because I attended one of the protests against it back in the 70s. Ronald hung in effigy. Torn down in more recent years.

Archived