The Spectrum at Willoughby Point

okinawatyphoon

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That does look nice. What was the name of that old motel? I always wondered why such a prime piece of real estate was underdeveloped.

Pinewell by the Bay was the first new development in Ocean View for years and that was only about 12 years ago. I believe that is why the site was "underdeveloped".

What hurricanes maketh, they can taketh awayeth! :unsure:

I asked the same question in an earlier posting. I don't want to come across as being negative, but I wonder is it smart to promote development on such a fragile piece of land. Like I said before many people who I have brought to Hampton Roads all say the same thing when they see Willoughby, "I would hate to be living there when a Hurricane hits". Its too late now people have been living on Willouhby Spit for 200 years, but I wonder if the city should look at freezing any future growth on that land and maybe moving the 4000 residents to a safer location. Maybe Willoughby should be turned into a kind of barrier island for NAS NOB. Just I thought, I am happy to see such high end development in Norfolk, but in the back of mind I just think we are defying mother nature by building there.

The property looks to be only 'feet' from the ocean. I can't imagine being there if a hurricane were to blow into the area.

Did this section flood during Isabel? I know a large portion of Ocean View did but i'm interested to know how high the water got in this particular area.

Did this section flood during Isabel? I know a large portion of Ocean View did but i'm interested to know how high the water got in this particular area.

I would imagine all of this has been taken into consideration for the development of these. It probably sits up off the ground from actuall residents.

The property looks to be only 'feet' from the ocean. I can't imagine being there if a hurricane were to blow into the area.

To be technical, this property is miles from the "ocean". And, it is kind of semi-protected by being more on the south side of Willoughby Spit where it serves as the northern boundary of the formation of and entrance to Willoughby Bay.

I asked the same question in an earlier posting. I don't want to come across as being negative, but I wonder is it smart to promote development on such a fragile piece of land. Like I said before many people who I have brought to Hampton Roads all say the same thing when they see Willoughby, "I would hate to be living there when a Hurricane hits". Its too late now people have been living on Willouhby Spit for 200 years, but I wonder if the city should look at freezing any future growth on that land and maybe moving the 4000 residents to a safer location. Maybe Willoughby should be turned into a kind of barrier island for NAS NOB. Just I thought, I am happy to see such high end development in Norfolk, but in the back of mind I just think we are defying mother nature by building there.

Why would you consider this development to be any more fragile than all of the development along the north border of Norfolk and Virginia Beach which directly faces the Chesapeake Bay, or the eastern border of Virginia Beach which directly faces the Atlantic Ocean? I would think there are thousands of individual homes, condo's, apartments and hotels in those waterfront areas containing way more than the 4,000 residents of Willoughby Spit that are equally or more vulnerable to flooding from a major hurricane.

I can't imagine any scenario where the city could legally require those people to move. This is the country that thinks it is fine to rebuild a city that is partially below sea level down in the bayou of Louisiana, right :D ?

Why would you consider this development to be any more fragile than all of the development along the north border of Norfolk and Virginia Beach which directly faces the Chesapeake Bay, or the eastern border of Virginia Beach which directly faces the Atlantic Ocean? I would think there are thousands of individual homes, condo's, apartments and hotels in those waterfront areas containing way more than the 4,000 residents of Willoughby Spit that are equally or more vulnerable to flooding from a major hurricane.

I can't imagine any scenario where the city could legally require those people to move. This is the country that thinks it is fine to rebuild a city that is partially below sea level down in the bayou of Louisiana, right :D ?

Good point Pirate, maybe this land looks more fragile because it pokes out into Hampton Roads. I hope the city and developers have done all they can do to mitigate damage from a potential hurricane.

Good point Pirate, maybe this land looks more fragile because it pokes out into Hampton Roads. I hope the city and developers have done all they can do to mitigate damage from a potential hurricane.

This concern is a mute point. This building will more than likely be sitting on piles that are driven 50 - 60 feet into the ground. This building will not be sitting on the ground the hurricane made. It will actually be sitting well below where hurricanes won't effect its foundation. The only concern should be whether the building above its foundation can withstand the winds.

That's a pretty high concentration of sailboats in that little area, all going in different directions and all at full sail no less!! I love how the developers have decided to try and rename the area, Willoughby or Willoughby "Point", but not Willougby Spit. In the background, it also convienently leaves out that big ol' interstate running through rest of Willoughby Spit. You can tell that this brochure is not oriented towards locals. Marketers, sigh. Did I mention I hated all my marketing classes and the tools that taught them (not to mention those who were majoring in it)? <_<

In terms of hurricanes being an issue, that part of Willoughby Spit is probably one of the better protected sections due to its orientation inward, rather than facing the Bay. And as others point out, its no worse off than Ocean View or Sandbridge. In fact, I'd probably prefer to living there than on the beach at Sandbridge.

• 1 month later...

I drove by the site today and there looked to be a pile driver on site. It may have been to drive piles for the pier. Most of the buildings are demolished, so hopefully this project wil go rather quickly. I may stop by the site to get a better look tomorrow. Driving by at 65mph doesn't give you a great perspective! :)

I drove by the site today and there looked to be a pile driver on site. It may have been to drive piles for the pier. Most of the buildings are demolished, so hopefully this project wil go rather quickly. I may stop by the site to get a better look tomorrow. Driving by at 65mph doesn't give you a great perspective! :)

Thanks for the update! This will be great for the Willoughby area.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember seeing the rendering on a billboard on 64 East by Hampton Roads. It had the rendering, and under it, it said, "Why drive to the water, when you can live on it?" At least Im pretty sure thats what it said, something clever like that at least :lol: Very nice, cant wait to see this go up!

I remember seeing the rendering on a billboard on 64 East by Hampton Roads. It had the rendering, and under it, it said, "Why drive to the water, when you can live on it?" At least Im pretty sure thats what it said, something clever like that at least :lol: Very nice, cant wait to see this go up!

Yeah thats what it says.

• 2 months later...

Archived