SCANA lease coming up for renewal

vicupstate

In the Columbia Star they sent a questionaire to teh City Council candidates. One question dealt with the fact that SCANA's 'master lease' at the Palmetto Center would soon come up.

Does anyone know exactly when, and/or have inside info? Consolidation in that industry has been underway as well. If they do plan to merge into another utility, the timing might be affected by this perhaps?

Anyway, a heads-up/food for thought type thing. I seem to remember NC passing legislation recently making it easier for there utility to buy other ones. Memory is a little fuzzy on that though.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the info. BryCola. I had not heard that at all.

I think it's a bummer that they want to leave DT. Does nyone know how much office space they lease in the Palmetto Center?

I'm not sure; initially i thought it was only nine floors but by word of mouth I recently heard it was 17. When I find the actual no. I will post it if no one else does.

I'm not sure; initially i thought it was only nine floors but by word of mouth I recently heard it was 17. When I find the actual no. I will post it if no one else does.

17 floors is correct. Wachovia has 2, and another company (SC Net maybe) has another one.

17 floors is correct. Wachovia has 2, and another company (SC Net maybe) has another one.

Thanks. It's kind of weird to occupy that much space DT and want to move your HQ farther away. It would be easier and more feasible to just build something closer to your current location.

Wow...So if they move it's going to be in a big place...Why can't they just build something new and bigger downtown? I know Coble said they're still trying to keep them DT

I hope Cobe is successful. But from everything I've heard, the decision has pretty much been made. Of course the lease isn't up for 4 more years, so anything can happen I suppose.

Wow...So if they move it's going to be in a big place...Why can't they just build something new and bigger downtown? I know Coble said they're still trying to keep them DT

Its expensive to do that. Usually companies that build in downtown's have some moeny to throw around, or have very civic minded leadership. Building in the suburbs in a campus style development is much less expensive. I personally don't like campuses, but that is whateveryone seems to want these days.

Its expensive to do that. Usually companies that build in downtown's have some moeny to throw around, or have very civic minded leadership. Building in the suburbs in a campus style development is much less expensive. I personally don't like campuses, but that is whateveryone seems to want these days.

Hmm... That sounds familiar. ;) I have to agree with you, though I'm beginning to think locating downtown would be better in the long run.

• 3 weeks later...

Seems as though an article in The State all but confirms SCANA's move out of downtown. Worst case scenario, office occupancy rates would only drop to 82% downtown--not a crisis in the least, and this figure doesn't take into account other office space that will be built in the near future, including Innovista.

Seems as though an article in The State all but confirms SCANA's move out of downtown. Worst case scenario, office occupancy rates would only drop to 82% downtown--not a crisis in the least, and this figure doesn't take into account other office space that will be built in the near future, including Innovista.

I don't think they're going anywhere. Cathy Novinger, a SCANA power player, recently made a speech in which she said she has seen Columbia become a good city, but that she is convinced it can become a great city with everyone thinking positively. She loves Columbia and gets it. She undertands, I am certain, that a pull-out from downtown would be a huge move in the wrong direction for SC's only Fortune 500 company. I am confident that the city will negotiate successfully to keep SCANA downtown.

I work for Scana, and everything I've heard is that we're moving out of downtown. I do NOT want to, but I certainly have no voice in this decision. I liked what Bob Coble said in the article in the State today. He said he thinks the city can keep Scana downtown. Hope he's right. I LOVE working on Main Street.

I work for Scana, and everything I've heard is that we're moving out of downtown. I do NOT want to, but I certainly have no voice in this decision. I liked what Bob Coble said in the article in the State today. He said he thinks the city can keep Scana downtown. Hope he's right. I LOVE working on Main Street.

I agree; I sure hope they stay downtown. A strong Columbia helps SCE&G. I hope they figure that out.

Archived