JetBlue has Nashville in the works

As a frequest traveler to NYC I have always been green with envy watching the people in the JetBlue lines as I know they are in for a special trip. JB is a company that knows how to treat customers. They are not bound up in noncompetitive legacy labor contracts and thus they are one of th efew airlines that have made money (loss last quarter) 4 of the last 5 years. They are going to focus on their original strategy of servicing East Coast and Mid-West Markets out of NYC-JFK and little ole' Nashville has made the cut. So welcome and hurry the hell up!

'nuff said

jetblue strategy change

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I assume that Jet Blue never started service to Nashville. If so, I'm also glad to hear they will move into the Nashville market. Despite some troubles right now, they are still a real up and coming airline and a low cost option that will continue to help keep travel costs in and out of Nashville lower than most.

Great news for Nashville, I think Delta cut their direct flights from NYC so without much competition fares have been higher lately. (In fact, I was shopping around for a ticket to Nashville next weekend, and found I could travel to London cheaper than Nashville....)

Jet Blue is a great airline, and should be a nice addition to BNA, which hopefully will also impact fares between BNA/NYC. Hopefully they will add this service sooner rather than later!

It's such a simple thing, but I still get tickled when Nashville and Indianapolis get listed without the states behind them, but Charlotte is there with its usual , N.C.

Little things mean a lot. lol.

lol... I totally agree :thumbsup:

Or Nashville, IL!! ;)^_^

:rofl: I think the only reason anybody knows of Nashville, IL is cuz they pass by its exit on the interstate headed to St. Louis lol.

I do get that occasionally though when I tell people i'm livin in Nashville (cuz im from southern IL). But seriously, why would I move by choice to Nashville, IL? lol... southern IL ppl are weird sometimes.

The majority of people in southern IL though... when you say Nashville... automatically assume TN... even though its like 3x further away :) I think most of the country is probably basically the same, for the most part.

I just checked in my National Geographic Atlas and found that there are a lot more Nashvilles. Here are all eight of them:

Nashville, AR

Nashville, GA

Nashville, IL

Nashville, IN

Nashville, KS

Nashville, MI

Nashville, NC

Nashville, TN

By comparison, there are only six Charlottes:

Charlotte, IA

Charlotte, MI

Charlotte, NC

Charlotte, TN

Charlotte, TX

Charlotte, VT

Maybe they are always worried that Charlotte, NC would get mixed up with Charlotte, TN? :rofl:

The Louisville, KY newspaper always uses TN after Nashville b/c there is a Nashville, IN very close by.

Newspapers in the North are staffed with so many people who think that all our towns in the South are so dinky that they need their states specified. I'll never forget when I brought a friend home to Atlanta from college... he's from the Philly area... and he was simply astonished to find out that Atlanta actually had highrises.

As Southerners, we often forget that the rest of the country doesn't pay much attention to us. Does the phrase "Fly over country" mean anything to you? I laughed when he oncer referred to Maryland as "The South"... whew, do they teach geography up North?

The Louisville, KY newspaper always uses TN after Nashville b/c there is a Nashville, IN very close by.

Actually, Louisville's Courier-Journal as well as most other newspapers say "Nashville, Tenn" because that's what AP Style dictates. There's a only a handful of US cities that stand alone as far a Style is concerned, and Nashville isn't one of them.

Actually, Louisville's Courier-Journal as well as most other newspapers say "Nashville, Tenn" because that's what AP Style dictates. There's a only a handful of US cities that stand alone as far a Style is concerned, and Nashville isn't one of them.

Exactly, I have news for you, but Nashville is always listed with its state behind it. Outside this region most poeple think of Nashville as a smallish country town/small city and home to country music, if they even know about it at all. I think the Titans help too, but I have met people who think the Titans are in memphis bc they are the "Tennessee Titans" (which proves having your city name in the team really gets you more pub).

It also doesnt help when you get guys like the country dude from Real World who says yeehaw, im from "Nashville, TN" and he acts all country and in awe of Philly.

It also doesnt help when you get guys like the country dude from Real World who says yeehaw, im from "Nashville, TN" and he acts all country and in awe of Philly.

I noticed that. MTV wants that perception of the South. For some reason, the perception is that the South doesn't have any major urban areas.

Perhaps the media wants to downplay the south because we are a threat to its agenda.

I could be wrong... but I don't remember MJ ever saying "yeehaw" on the Real World. He didn't seem to me to be portrayed as a country dude either... more like your average football jock college guy. But anywayz... the last season of the Real World was in Austin... which is roughly the size of Nashville, and a southern city... so as far as MTV is concerned... I wouldn't think they have any problem with southern cities. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Real World Nashville one of these days, honestly.

Also... I would venture to say the majority of the country knows which Nashville you are talking about when you don't mention the state.... no matter what format the media uses.

I could be wrong... but I don't remember MJ ever saying "yeehaw" on the Real World. He didn't seem to me to be portrayed as a country dude either... more like your average football jock college guy. But anywayz... the last season of the Real World was in Austin... which is roughly the size of Nashville, and a southern city... so as far as MTV is concerned... I wouldn't think they have any problem with southern cities. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Real World Nashville one of these days, honestly.

Also... I would venture to say the majority of the country knows which Nashville you are talking about when you don't mention the state.... no matter what format the media uses.

MTV gladly uses Austin because it's one of the most liberal cities in America. They would never shoot a season in backwards Nashville. *note sarcasm*.

I have heard that conservative Austin has caught up a bit w/liberal Austin since the emergence of Bush. I do agree that some media looks for a certain perception when dealing w/Nashville, if not the South. Maybe it has more to do with individuals that corporations. Maybe it depends on which individual is casting a show or directing a show. It definitely happens, though.

I knew MJ casually when I was younger--hung out with him a little bit. He was a nice kid. The thing that MJ did on Real World was where he got on TV and said he wasn't used to being around homosexuals or minorities. He was an embarrasment as a representative of our city. If he had come straight out of DCA and onto Real World I could maybe believe that he was actually that sheltered. But he didn't. He went to Vanderbilt and lived on West End, and that is sad that he managed to stay in a cocoon in a place where there is such a diversity of people. People that cast reality TV look for someone who thinks like that so they can make them a roommate of a gay black guy to see if they will kill eachother. Perhaps, the fact that he is from Nashville was just a sad coincidence. I wouldn't be sad if Real World never came to Nashville.

On a complete side note, off topic just real quick. I was watching AMC--they have a show called Date and a Movie or something like that. At the commercial break they show couples who watch the movie together and then talk about it in front of a skyline. I thought something looked familiar in the city they were sitting in front of the other day--it was a relatively tight shot. It was Nashville--the first building I recognized? The James K. Polk building. I don't think that would have been the building that got me to recognize Nashville before they light up the top w/blue light. I think its pretty cool for Nashville to be chosen for that sort of thing--maybe its silly. Nville never would have had that sort of thing back in the early 90s.

Exactly, I have news for you, but Nashville is always listed with its state behind it.

Gych... you're always wrong. James Dean was an actor. Jimmy Dean makes sausage. And we don't get French benefits.

In this morning's Atlanta Journal Constitution, I found no less than six articles in which Nashville is mentioned without the TN behind it. Three of them are even the datelines. And this despite the fact there is a Nashville, GA.

When you say "always", maybe you mean the Courier-Journal. But even that wouldn't be "news" to the forum as I already mentioned that fact. Refer to my previous post in this thread.

On the other hand, Louisville is almost always affixed to KY.

Just a side note: There's no hard and fast according to my aunt who wrote for the Chicago Tribune back in the 70s. There were a lot of smaller cities that had/have brands (e.g. Las Vegas, San Antonio) neither of which are small anymore and (I imagine) Nashville among others. It was generally left up to the editors of the papers based on a handful of criteria. I can only imagine that they looked at population and regional recognition, etc. Nowadays, with all the M&A of newspapers (so many aren't locally owned anymore) perhaps some papers fall in line behind the AP conventions.

Let's hear from somebody who really knows about this. Shall we Gych?

The only reason I say I could see a Real World Nashville happening... is because it seems one thing MTV always has to have for a city is a good night life scene. I mean, like half of the show ends up being about the roommates going out and partying... and well, Nashville definitely has the night life for it, IMO... more so than a lot of cities anyway. As for the politics, I don't really know.

I agree it probably was a lil embarassing for MJ to seem so sheltered... but i'm not sure if that goes against Nashville or just against his frat boy image. I bet most guys like him steer away from homosexuals, etc., no matter where they are from.

Speaking of shows and Nashville... I was watching Elimidate the other night a few weeks ago (lol)... and it just happened that they were in Nashville for the entire date.... the entire show. I know it's not the greatest or most popular show in the world lol, but I thought it was pretty cool. I can't remember what bars/restaurants they went to though... places I hadn't been before.

Exactly, I have news for you, but Nashville is always listed with its state behind it. Outside this region most poeple think of Nashville as a smallish country town/small city and home to country music, if they even know about it at all. I think the Titans help too, but I have met people who think the Titans are in memphis bc they are the "Tennessee Titans" (which proves having your city name in the team really gets you more pub).

:blink::sick::blink:

The only reason I say I could see a Real World Nashville happening... is because it seems one thing MTV always has to have for a city is a good night life scene. I mean, like half of the show ends up being about the roommates going out and partying... and well, Nashville definitely has the night life for it, IMO... more so than a lot of cities anyway. As for the politics, I don't really know.

I agree it probably was a lil embarassing for MJ to seem so sheltered... but i'm not sure if that goes against Nashville or just against his frat boy image. I bet most guys like him steer away from homosexuals, etc., no matter where they are from.

Speaking of shows and Nashville... I was watching Elimidate the other night a few weeks ago (lol)... and it just happened that they were in Nashville for the entire date.... the entire show. I know it's not the greatest or most popular show in the world lol, but I thought it was pretty cool. I can't remember what bars/restaurants they went to though... places I hadn't been before.

They came to just about any city over 1 million. Louisville had Elimindate filmed here, and so did places like Buffalo and Richmond.

As for ATLBrian, you are a different story. You have your head so far up your ass it is sad. Only you would try to start a pissing match over something like this. The AP standard is to list Nashville as Nashville, Tenn. Sorry, it is. I am sorry you think Nashville is larger than life. Why dont you try and call out national media outlets and the AP who set this standard, not me. Maybe Atlanta doesn't do it because the city is so close.

All you have to do is google "AP" and Nashville, Tenn. You will clearly see that standard form is (AP) Nashville, Tenn.--

And why even bring up Louisville? Did I mention Louisville anywhere? Do you have some sort of complex, seriously? Louisville, like Nashville, is normally listed with its state behind it. Of course, there are exceptions and I often see the Chicago Tribune or Cincinnati Enquirer report on Louisville (see Museum Plaza articles) without its state name. But overall those are exceptions, just like with Nashville when Atlanta reports on it.

I am posting links to two New York Times articles--they are both "Journeys; 36 Hours"--travel articles about destinations around the country. One about Louisville from 4/2003 and one about Nashville from 5/2004. The one for Nashville lists the city w/o Tenn. behind it. The Louisville one does list Ky. behind it.

Nashville NY Times article

Louisville NY Times Article

Sorry, don't mean to pile on here. Just figured the 'paper of record' would add some perspective. I'm sure you can find some articles from around the country w/ contradicting instances. I think Louisville and Nashville are both great cities despite what's behind either of them. :thumbsup:

If you google Nashville with the TN behind it, chances are you'll find the TN there. I'm not disagreeing with you about the correct form, just making a comment.

Oh for heaven's sake! Google "Associated Press" and "Nashville". You will see almost all articles include the state's name.

I am really sick of ATLBrian trying to start pissing matches with me. Nowhere did I mention Louisville until after he brings it in out of the blue to try and slam it bc he is upset that the national media reports on Nashville by listing its state after it.

Look, here is an instance of a big city writing about Louisville and not mentioning its state ANYWHERE...not in the title and not even in the article body....does that mean it is standard? No, chances are most articles about Louisville, like Nashville, will include the state name after it:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationw...1,5988995.story

Archived