What about Salem?

electricmonk

I'm as quilty of this as anybody, maybe even more so since to be honest I really don't like the city, but I've noticed that we never mention what's happening there other than the sports facilities. I saw a report a day or two ago about a new development going up next to the GE plant. the developer said it's going to have everything except retail.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw a report a day or two ago about a new development going up next to the GE plant. the developer said it's going to have everything except retail.

Where exactly in relation to GE? My mother runs an apartment complex just down the street from there...

I'm as quilty of this as anybody, maybe even more so since to be honest I really don't like the city, but I've noticed that we never mention what's happening there other than the sports facilities. I saw a report a day or two ago about a new development going up next to the GE plant. the developer said it's going to have everything except retail.

Salem and Roanoke County are essentially the suburbs of Roanoke (although I'm sure Salemites would get hot under the collar at that suggestion). I don't think there is much going on and I don't see much significant ever happening because even more than Roanoke, the residents there want to be sure things don't change significantly. It is their right, and really, having a quaint queit town is nice to have in the area. Being an out of towner it just amuses me, this intense pride that some in Salem seem to have that they are so much better than Roanoke. Uh........ OK. It's a nice small town center, followed by suburban stripmall hell down mainstreet. Welcome to suburbia.

Salem and Roanoke County are essentially the suburbs of Roanoke (although I'm sure Salemites would get hot under the collar at that suggestion). I don't think there is much going on and I don't see much significant ever happening because even more than Roanoke, the residents there want to be sure things don't change significantly. It is their right, and really, having a quaint queit town is nice to have in the area. Being an out of towner it just amuses me, this intense pride that some in Salem seem to have that they are so much better than Roanoke. Uh........ OK. It's a nice small town center, followed by suburban stripmall hell down mainstreet. Welcome to suburbia.

Don't you DARE DISS SALEM!! Thats where my Cletus, (my Daddy/half brother) lives. :rofl::whistling:

Just kidding Salem. :blush:

ps. doesnt the above comment seem convincing considering 'my' picture. I don't know exactly where I got that picture, but its most likely not someone from Salem, although I can't be 100 % sure.

I agree that Salem is now mostly a suburb. Salem is a significant job center, but much of the activity there is suburban industrial parks that were essentially established as Roanokes growing industrial sector ran out of room in the city limits in the 70s and 80s. Same goes for Lewis Gale Hospital. That is essentially a suburban Roanoke hospital. It was established in Roanoke a century ago, and when it built a new facility, it chose a suburban site that Salem annexed in the 70s when it became a city. Don't get me wrong, I like Salem, it has nice feel around downtown and the college. My problem with Salem is that so many people there have serious anti-roanoke bias that is so ridiculous and desperate it makes me feel sorry for them.

• 1 month later...

Poor Salem, it's a forgotten CITY. It's Roanoke's Petersburg! Or maybe Colonial Heights (that might be better). And what's in that town Vinton? Has anyone ever thought of merging the three?

That would be awesome to merger all 3, there are all located with 5 miles of each other, but I dont know if the VA law about independant cities would be put into play.

Thanks mclawsdrive, nice to see you again, Ive seen you make some good quality post while I was gone.

Thanks, nice to see you again, I admit I did wrong, and I apologize for that. Plagerism is not good. I had to learn the hard way.

Hey weill, weve probably never met, but I was very impressed with your site. Welcome back :)

Poor Salem, it's a forgotten CITY. It's Roanoke's Petersburg! Or maybe Colonial Heights (that might be better). And what's in that town Vinton? Has anyone ever thought of merging the three?
Salem would definately be more Colonial Heights than Petersburg, believe me :lol:

Anyway, consolidation is a tricky topic in the Roanoke Valley. Salem wants no part of any consolidation plan, and Roanoke County is generally not in favor of it either.

Thanks, nice to see you again, I admit I did wrong, and I apologize for that. Plagerism is not good. I had to learn the hard way.
Nice to have you back, Weill :)

Vinton is a town in Roanoke County, and Roanoke City and County have already been down that road. And even if they did pull it off, Salem wouldn't participate.

:w00t: The obvious solution, since Salem is Obviously so much better than the surrounding localities, is for Salem to annex the surrounding localities and bulldoze and reuse them for favorite Salem pastimes; high school sports, country music concerts, wwf, monster trucks, mega churches and of course, the SALEM FAIR ('the most fun you can have in Virginia' and the 2nd biggest in the state!!!!). Roanoke could be renamed 'East Salem' and the star could be replaced with a new gigantic Spartan macot. :cry: Only in my dreams.

Archived