Best pizza in the Triangle

Best slice in the Triangle (NY or otherwise)  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which serves up the best slice in the area?

• Randy's (Durham/RTP)
    • Cinelli's (Triangle wide)
    • Paisano's (N. Raleigh)
    • Lilly's (5 pts, Raleigh)
    • Pepper's (Chapel Hill)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know how local Mellow Mushroom is. I've seen it everywhere in NC.

They have some great pizza though, so I go there anyway.

Pepper's has what are possibly the best calzones anywhere. That's a completely unscientific estimate, but they have my vote.

Pepper's has what are possibly the best calzones anywhere. That's a completely unscientific estimate, but they have my vote.

I've never had a calzone at Peppers, but Lilly's calzones are the best I've ever eaten...ever. They're so good! But I'll definitely have to try one from Pepper's next time I'm in Chapel Hill.

Not having Moonlight, Sats, Picola Italia, Capital Creations, and Vics City Market does leave out some good choices. Lilly's is good, but they can have the occasional bad day.

Last week I went by Mellow Mushroom locations in Charleston, Augsta, and Atlanta. They are all in neat converted spaces (the Augsta location used to be a gas station) and have good pizza, but are not "local" in the traditional sense.

BTW, the topic never specified local--as in not a chain. I mean, I know Mellow Mushroom is technically a chain, but it's certainly not in the same category as Pizza Hut. I voted MM, because IMO, it's the best I've had. Been to Lilly's, Peppers, Cap Creations, etc. Need to get to Moonlight though--esp since its 2 blocks from me.

• 2 weeks later...

Brothers is gone, but it and Two Guys were just above average.

I used to get a Rio Rancho slice from I (heart) NY Pizza after a few drinks at Five O/Comet, but I don't think I ever went there sober. I have never tried Sylvia's or That's Amore, so can't comment on them.

The Farmhouse (Hillsborough and Dixie) used to be bad, but it was all you can eat, so had to try it once. Am not sure if things have changed. Gumbys is ok for the $5/one topping carry out, but not much more than that.

I always got a meal when I went to Casa Carbone, so have yet to try the pizza there.

Does anyone know about Andy's Pizza in North Hills? I ate there last fall and it seemed to be ok and did fill the pizza niche for the area. But now there's a "closed/reopening soon" sign in the window that has been there for a few weeks. They seemed to do decent business, but were never packed.

The owner passed away, from what I heard. Quail Corners is still open, however.

Yes...Andy Kannas passed away @ 10 years ago from a heart attack. He was a very dear friend of mine. He also owned Brothers pizza on Hillsboro St. and the location in North Hills. I would assume his kids and wife Faye are still running the locations. Also...if anyone has ever eaten at Jerry's Pizza in Creedmore, That is Andy's brother.

Archived