Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JPeac2

Best local meat shops?

Can anyone cue me into some of their favorite local butchers?

Van Ball's on Plainfield is very good but can be a bit on the pricey side. Kingma's further down Plainfield has a great meat counter.

20th Century on Bridge is a good market but it's not as good as it was 10-15 years ago.

A lot of people like Levandowski's, I don't personally care for them as much.

Edit: I just remembered another: As gross as the place used to be they have renovated Big Top near the corner of Clyde Park and 36th. The place is now very clean and has an excellent meat counter. They have the best meat deals in the area. Good quality stuff too.

Can anyone cue me into some of their favorite local butchers?

David Delski's place on 44th just West of Burlingame on the South side of the road.

Franks (I think thats its name) on the West side on Bridge or Leonard.

Frank's is on Fulton, just east of Straight. (next door to the coffee house there) Excellent meats- I'm finding myself in there a few times a week. The owner is a great guy... he definately trains his staff well as they are all good people.

Ditto Van Balls and Kingmas. Great meat. I don't know about the prices, because I don't care what I pay for quality meats. Some of the slop put out at Meijer is enough to turn my stomach.

Another great store is Heffron's. There's one on Plainfield and one in Caledonia. Fresh frozen meats and vegetables available, as well as Hormone Free Milk. I make a special trip just to get milk - it tastes so much better, but that might just be me.

There's a butcher in downtown Rockford too, but I can't remember the name.

Trixie

A Place called Sobie's Meat opened last year on Remembrance near Kinney in Walker. Good meat and you can get sandwichs and some hot food made to order at lunch on weekdays. Real friendly staff.

They don't beat Levandowski's Kielbasa, but the rest seems to be quality food.

I get all my meat at Vanballs. I like to eat it rare, and i just wouldn't trust what meijer has to eat rare. Vanballs is some good stuff!

Bobs Butcher block in Jenison has great meats. Cheap, too.

Ditto and hooray for local businesses.

I know a lot of people who will make special trips to buy their meat there bypassing Meijer, Family Fare, D&W, etc.

Bob's Butcher used to be my place to go for meats when I lived in the burbs. Great, friendly....you can call ahead a special order (say for holidays etc.) and they will accommodate you.

If you want to drive for fresh chicken, Otto's Chicken Farm in Middleville has free range (hormone free) chicken there (turkey too I think). They are the biggest juiciest pieces of chicken. Heffron Farms is good too, but everything is frozen and they are more expensive.

Bob's Butcher used to be my place to go for meats when I lived in the burbs. Great, friendly....you can call ahead a special order (say for holidays etc.) and they will accommodate you.

If you want to drive for fresh chicken, Otto's Chicken Farm in Middleville has free range (hormone free) chicken there (turkey too I think). They are the biggest juiciest pieces of chicken. Heffron Farms is good too, but everything is frozen and they are more expensive.

It also happens to be right next door to my old house... Well next door as in a way out in the country kind of way.. Good turkey's on thanksgiving too BTW

Kingma's is one of the few places around that still uses hanging beef. Most of the beef you find in supermarkets has been sealed in cry-o-vac bags, while this packaging can offer better shelf life for the store, it is not the best method of providing the consumer with the best tasting beef. The hanging beef also allows the access to all cuts of beef that are not always found in supermarkets as you need to utilize the entire quarter of beef when when cutting. (When is the last time you had a 2" thick bone-in sirloin on the grill? :thumbsup: )

Additionally Kingma's makes many types of sausages and lunch meats that are recipies from when Dave (owner of the meat counter which is leased from Kingma's) used to be with Waalkes Butcher Shop in Breton Village (closed 10-15 years ago).

Beyond that, Costco has good meat (USDA Choice beef) at good prices if you can use the portions and are not looking for anything out of the ordinary.

Now what about getting fresh fish in this town? does anyone know of a seafood market with a good FRESH selection?

Now what about getting fresh fish in this town? does anyone know of a seafood market with a good FRESH selection?

Consumers can actually buy, at certain times of the day, Seafood right from Superior Seafoods on M-37 near 44th street. I've done work there, and it's about as fresh as you can get. I can't remember when exactly you can go but I'm sure you could call. There's also Big O's fish house in caledonia which is owned by the brother of the guy that runs Superior, and they've got GREAT food, and a counter to buy fresh product at.

Consumers can actually buy, at certain times of the day, Seafood right from Superior Seafoods on M-37 near 44th street. I've done work there, and it's about as fresh as you can get. I can't remember when exactly you can go but I'm sure you could call. There's also Big O's fish house in caledonia which is owned by the brother of the guy that runs Superior, and they've got GREAT food, and a counter to buy fresh product at.

Fry Daddys' on 44th between Kalamazoo and Breton will get you a delicious fish and chips for cheap. (Not sure if they'll sell you the fresh fish to take home or not. :thumbsup: )

We get some of our meat from The Meat Market in Allendale. It's on 68th Ave at the corner of 68th and Lake Mich Drive. A little pricey I've always thought, but the cuts of meat are quality. :thumbsup:

We buy free range chicken and eggs from Steve and Son's Farm in Coopersville: http://www.grassfieldscheese.com

As the website name implies, they also have very good cheeses. My kids and I are in the pictures on the site from when we went there on customer aprpeciation day. We've gotten to know the whole family and they are all wonderful.

I wish there were a good place for fresh fish here. I have bought fish at Sanitary Seafood on Plainfield. I'm not sure about how big their selection of fresh fish is though since I've only been there once or twice.

The best is a drive but it is birds meat market in Ensley Center. Steaks are super cheap, Porterhouses range from $5.95 to $6.25 a pound. Boneless chicken breast $1.49, Ground sirloin $1.89...Great place but worth the drive.

By far THE BEST old-fashioned, clean and fresh place to buy meat and fish is FRANK'S on Fulton. There back room is spotless and you can custom order anything. When you go to others, look at the floor and corners of the production area, and ask yourself why you would eat anything from there?

Fritz (Frank's son) owns the market and is a great guy that does a bunch for the community too. Ok, got it? Franks on Fulton. Go there and eat meat. I command you.