Smoke/Haze ?

cafealotaguy

Did anyone notice a dense haze/smoke in the air around town this afternoon ? I live on the eastside (think Pelham/Parkway) I noticed it mainly around dusk, when I was dropping one of my friends off (lives off Augusta) We crested the hill after the Haywood Rd. overpass heading towards downtown and it was unusualy hazey. It was like that for the rest of the drive home for me. And now, just a few minutes ago, I got back from going to Salsaritas @ Pelham & H14 and there was an auora surrounding all the street lights. Just an observation that seemed a little out of the ordinary.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've noticed it before, and was just thinking that it is a mix of smog and fog...I know I really don't know what I'm talking about here, but yeah, that is what I'm thinking. It's something that I've noticed in the warmer months, because in the summer, you can't see the mountains from Haywood and Pelham. Just an observation.

More info about fire: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....NEWS01/60318002

-According to Fox Carolina tonight, the smoke that could be seen around Greenville County this afternoon and evening was caused from the apartment fire and from a control burn in Transylvania County that sent smoke sliding down the mountains and into the upstate due to the direction that the wind was blowing.

I understand the neccesity of controlled burns and the fact that you can't stop all buildings from burning. Regardless, I hope something can been done in the future so that Greenville dosen't have a reputatuion as a "polluted" city. Although, that would put us in a large category:

800px-Los_Angeles_Pollution.jpg

Los Angeles

... or ...

Dawangqiao_Area.jpg

The Dawangqiao CBD of Beijing

... or ...

haze_kuala_lumpur_1997.jpg

Kuala Lumpur home to the World's Second Tallest Towers (if my memory serves me correct)

I already posted this, but i'll post it again so cafealotaguy and everyone else will know why it was smoggy today. According to Fox Carolina tonight, the smoke that could be seen around Greenville County this afternoon and evening was caused from the apartment fire and from a control burn in Transylvania County that sent smoke sliding down the mountains and into the upstate due to the direction that the wind was blowing. Also, the wind was very light today too which kept most of the smog in the city instead of blowing it away like most days.

I understand the neccesity of controlled burns and the fact that you can't stop all buildings from burning. Regardless, I hope something can been done in the future so that Greenville dosen't have a reputatuion as a "polluted" city. Although, that would put us in a large category:

The Upstate does have poor air quality though. We are llikely going to reach non-attainment on federal air quality standards soon.

Unfortunately, because of Greenvilles / the Upsates location at the foot of the "Blue Wall", we must work extra hard to keep our air clean. We don't have the same luxury as some flatter cities where a front blows through and cleans the air. The mountains to our north and northwest, which we all love so much, can actually help trap the smog in air and mitigate the cleaning effect of fronts. :(

Fortunately, we are also protected from countless wicked storms as a result of the neighboring mountains. It's a give and take. Give up a little air quality (according to the EPA) for beauty and protection. I can certainly live with that trade-off. :shades:

I think it is also questionable whether our air quality is nearly as bad as other big cities.

Archived