Colombia Street

Leo Berman

Hi, first post here..

I'm looking at an apartment on Colombia St. (off of Capital) soon. Can anyone tell me anything about the area?

Having grown up in the Hartford 'burbs I'm shocked that I'm looking at Hartford...but I'm pleasantly surprised with the many changes that have taken place since I last lived in the area (5 yrs.).

I work in what is considered the SODO area I guess (Capital & Main) and really like that fact that I'm but a short bus ride from work. Any decent gyms in the area? Big downside IMO, unless there are some that I'm not aware of.

Thanks for any thoughts

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, first post here..

I'm looking at an apartment on Colombia St. (off of Capital) soon. Can anyone tell me anything about the area?

Having grown up in the Hartford 'burbs I'm shocked that I'm looking at Hartford...but I'm pleasantly surprised with the many changes that have taken place since I last lived in the area (5 yrs.).

I work in what is considered the SODO area I guess (Capital & Main) and really like that fact that I'm but a short bus ride from work. Any decent gyms in the area? Big downside IMO, unless there are some that I'm not aware of.

Thanks for any thoughts

I'm not sure where the closest gym is. It may be Bally's in West Hartford on New Park I think, but there may be one closer. I think that area of Hartford is very decent and on the rebound, If I am thinking of the right spot, there are nice townhomes over there. I'll see what I can find out about a gym closer than Bally's, but I think the area you're looking at is convenient and quiet enough to warrent serious consideration. Glad to hear that you can see positive changes since your return home. I myself lived in Atlanta for 5 years and was fairly impressed when I moved back in 2004, although many projects are much further along now.

Hi, first post here..

Columbia street was featured on some historical home program on HGTV a few years back. It has a good reputation as a stable pocket neighborhood. The neighbors all get together once a year to have a tag sale. This stretch of Capital Avenue has the potential to be a "cool" part of town. The Coffeehouse La Paloma Sabanera is already turning it around. The vacant Hartford Office Supply building has been bought by a developer to eventually become housing (probably condos) and it is so close to the LOB and rest of downtown.

You might inquire at the YMCA if you are looking for a good gym to join for a while. Yes, they'll be moving, but might as well take advantage in the meantime. I live in the area and drive all the way to Big Sky in Newington. :(

Archived