King of Prussia Mall

Temeteron

They have done some nice stuff to it lately (The Pavillion is a personal favorite) but when it comes down to it it still is just full of national chain stores.... If they brought in local merchandise and designers I would go there a lot more often...
It's the critical mass of chain stores that packs in the crowds at King of Prussia. More local stores would be nice, but with 450 stores to choose from, who can complain?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fallen, I am with you on that, besides Boscov's and Strawbridge (are they still independent?) are there any other big chains that are local to SE Pennsylvania? I think we should all put Pennsylvania companies first, more employment, lower taxes spread out over more productive organizations, and a rising standard of living.

Fallen, I am with you on that, besides Boscov's and Strawbridge (are they still independent?) are there any other big chains that are local to SE Pennsylvania? I think we should all put Pennsylvania companies first, more employment, lower taxes spread out over more productive organizations, and a rising standard of living.

strawbrudge's was bought by May in the late 90's and May of coruse got bought up by Federated which ahs since shut the strawbridge's chain down.

Boscov's is local to SE PA (York).

Yeah I thought I heard Strawbridges was bought out a few years back, Boscov's is nice, they are expanding more and more into the Pittsburgh region. I am a big fan of supporting local companies whenever possible!

• 4 weeks later...
:D Hey guys, I am from raleigh and i post on the triangle forum. I have a question about the area. me and my wife are coming that way in august. we currently have hampton inn booked near by. do you know if this hotel is good or not. Also how far in terms of driving time is KOP from philadelphia? Thanks :lol:

:D Hey guys, I am from raleigh and i post on the triangle forum. I have a question about the area. me and my wife are coming that way in august. we currently have hampton inn booked near by. do you know if this hotel is good or not. Also how far in terms of driving time is KOP from philadelphia? Thanks :lol:

I don't know about the hotel. For KoP to Philly though, its about 30 minutes when there's no traffic. With traffic, its hard to say. That said, its a fairly straight shot down I-76.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Yes. Tysons has a good amount of floor space over kop, but they are not under 1 roof. The classy Tysons Galaria with the Ritz Carlton will have a ped. bridge over the Metro system connecting it to the Tysons II side soon tho...\

"largest shopping area" is what most people say. NYC has 5th ave, L.A. has rodeo drive, Chicago has Michigan ave, London has the Fashionable Regent Street and Washington has Tysons Corner. Asside from regent street, the size of which I dont know, Tysons is the largest of them all.

Yes. Tysons has a good amount of floor space over kop, but they are not under 1 roof. The classy Tysons Galaria with the Ritz Carlton will have a ped. bridge over the Metro system connecting it to the Tysons II side soon tho...\

"largest shopping area" is what most people say. NYC has 5th ave, L.A. has rodeo drive, Chicago has Michigan ave, London has the Fashionable Regent Street and Washington has Tysons Corner. Asside from regent street, the size of which I dont know, Tysons is the largest of them all.

Actually, I think NYC's main shopping area has Tyson's beat. That's because the shopping area there doesn't just include the stretch of Fifth between 34th Street and 59th Street but also Madison Ave. from the 50's all the way into the 80's (which is contiguous with the Fifth Ave. stretch). That whole row is lined with expensive boutiques, many of which are fancier than those on Fifth. Plus, you have to count the presence of several department stores on Fifth such as Saks, Bergdorf Goodman, Henri Bendel, and Lord & Taylor. Then there's Barney's on Madison and, just a little bit further away, Bloomingdale's on Lexington. Add to that the flagship stores for several chains such as Apple, Disney, Prada, Niketown, etc.

There's also NYC's second major shopping area which is SoHo which also has a Bloomingdale's department store and plenty of major boutiques and flagship stores in it's own right.

As for London, the Regent Street/Oxford Street shopping area is also pretty large. I'd say the second largest after NYC's Fifth/Madison.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
yeah. i was just looking at that online, and it seem you are right. 5th ave is bigger. however, it has to be said that the suburb of tysons, that is alone the 11th largest comerical district in the nation by floor space, is under a huge redevelopment plan in which it may become the largest shopping district in the country if not the world. it will include over 1000000 additional sq. feet of retail, 8 new office/condo towers and 100000's of sq. ft. of public spaces and parks. fairfax co. is really into new urban centers near metro with street level shopping and dining with condo and office blocks. this is one of many places where they are doing the same thing. NOVA has been taken over by the subdivision and packed 10 lane freeways, but now its all turning back around with higher density near public transportation and less urban sprawl. do philadelphia's burbs have the same ideas? do you think it could help you guys?

Archived