Riverside

wks2003x

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, what do you guys think? Could this really be Macon's first true mixed use community? Do you think the Riverside project will take off?

I think this together with many other new announcements about downtown development is really going to allow Downtown Macon to grow into a stable self supportive part of Macon and establish its own identity. Where exactly on Riverside do the developers propose placing this project? High-Rises? Artistic Design? What type of retail is being discussed?

I think this together with many other new announcements about downtown development is really going to allow Downtown Macon to grow into a stable self supportive part of Macon and establish its own identity. Where exactly on Riverside do the developers propose placing this project? High-Rises? Artistic Design? What type of retail is being discussed?

According to NewTown Macon, it could go between Second and Spring Streets along the river. If it is to include retail, condominiums and a hotel, I would expect that it would have to be a high-rise development. Sadly, I doubt that it would be very tall since downtown Macon has a height limit on its buildings.

According to NewTown Macon, it could go between Second and Spring Streets along the river. If it is to include retail, condominiums and a hotel, I would expect that it would have to be a high-rise development. Sadly, I doubt that it would be very tall since downtown Macon has a height limit on its buildings.

I didn't know that we had a height limit. What is the limit? I would think somebody who is willing to pour so much money into downtown would be able to get that lifted or at least granted an exemption. I really dont understand a height restriction. It seem to be counter development imo.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope this happens. I grew up just north of Macon and have been saddened by the flight of residents out of the city and into Jones, Monroe, and Houston counties. Downtown Macon has such ENORMOUS potential! It will take forward-thinking developers and smart, pro-active government (not something Macon is known for) to right Macon's ship. Here's hoping.....

I hope this happens. I grew up just north of Macon and have been saddened by the flight of residents out of the city and into Jones, Monroe, and Houston counties. Downtown Macon has such ENORMOUS potential! It will take forward-thinking developers and smart, pro-active government (not something Macon is known for) to right Macon's ship. Here's hoping.....

I dont think that it is necessarily bad that these surrounding are experiencing growth. We need our suburban counties to grow and develop. Look at Atlanta. Where would they be w/o Gwinnett, Cobb, or Dekalb? Bibb County is going to continue to grow and when unincorporated Bibb is all developed the inner city (Macon) will begin to fill in, and our suburban counties (Monroe, Jones, Houston, Peach, Twiggs, Crawford) will help that growth.

I dont think that it is necessarily bad that these surrounding are experiencing growth. We need our suburban counties to grow and develop. Look at Atlanta. Where would they be w/o Gwinnett, Cobb, or Dekalb? Bibb County is going to continue to grow and when unincorporated Bibb is all developed the inner city (Macon) will begin to fill in, and our suburban counties (Monroe, Jones, Houston, Peach, Twiggs, Crawford) will help that growth.

Oh, I agree, Doug. I'm glad that Macon's 'burbs are growing. I just hope that at some point in the reasonably near-future that Macon reverses its trend of the last 25-30 years and people start moving back into the city. Atlanta has reversed that trend in the last 10 years and the renewed vitality of the city has been amazing.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived