NC State Govt Complex: what are the plans?

citiboi27610

Yeah that grass is just cover so people don't have to look at the top of the parking garage. The whole plan is a copy of Albany NY's gov't complex from what I told. Ripping out the street grid has been a a bad move IMO everytime it was done...Cabarrus, North, even Harrington back in 1850's.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even though all it does is cover a parking garage, I've always hoped that someone would put the initiative in making it at least something other than grass. Trees, park benches, flower beds, statues, birdbaths, etc. I know...money would be the issue.

Even though all it does is cover a parking garage, I've always hoped that someone would put the initiative in making it at least something other than grass. Trees, park benches, flower beds, statues, birdbaths, etc. I know...money would be the issue.

compared to, say, 10 of 15 years ago, they have planted lots of trees (obviously they can't plant trees in the middle since there is only about 6-12 inches of soil under that grass down to the concrete roof of the garage). There are paved brick paths around the edges and cutting across the middle in certain places, and pretty nice cast iron and wood benches have been scattered around the perimeter. Won't actually be such a bad place in 10 or 15 years, if they can keep the trees alive so they can get big enough to give some shade...

Instead of going for the pastoral setting, they should rip out the parking garage, put a a multilevel garage (5-6 stories) and plop a 20 story building on top...maybe something like a mini-Chrysler building. Or move the legislative building and Archdale, open Halifax back up and put towers between Revenue and Education and also between Dobbs and the LOB. $$$ I know.

• 7 months later...

Here are some renderings I stumbled across of the State Capitol Visitor's Center.

visitorscenter1.jpg

visitorscenter2.jpg

I have to say that this is a combination of disappointment and relief at the same time.

First, it's a disappointment because:

• It's a small building, on a very large piece of property that could be developed into lots of state offices.
  • It sits directly on the corner of Wilmington and Jones, and yet is completely inaccessible from the street
  • It has a "lawn" that is supposedly designed for holding gubernatorial inaugurations. Why take up such an important, valuable piece of land for an event that happens at mot once every four years?

But, it's a relief because:

• The building It only takes up perhaps 1/6 of the lot, I guess some of the land could be redeveloped as offices later
  • It is a pretty attractive building.

^ I agree, but I sit on the side of mostly disppointment, if what we see here is accurate. No pedestrian access at the primary corner & it's on too much land. At least they are greening up the block a bit.

I completely understand that we are in a recession and can't expect significant public investment undertaken now. But the state seems to not be interested in thinking long term about downtown. As it stands, there doesn't seem to be much strategy being applied, and as well located state-owned sites such as this are limited (Blount St being a part of this reduction of state land), opportunities for maximization and collaboration on new infrastructure are being lost.

I would have loved to see me and webguy's idea for a future DHHS HQ pared with the visitors center & underground parking built on this block. With almost 4 acres of surface parking, there's plenty of space, and the VC could have been built initially, with a future DHHS building (or other state offices) added later when funds are available.

<_<

Here are some renderings I stumbled across of the State Capitol Visitor's Center.

visitorscenter1.jpg

visitorscenter2.jpg

I have to say that this is a combination of disappointment and relief at the same time.

• It's a small building, on a very large piece of property that could be developed into lots of state offices.
  • It sits directly on the corner of Wilmington and Jones, and yet is completely inaccessible from the street
  • It has a "lawn" that is supposedly designed for holding gubernatorial inaugurations. Why take up such an important, valuable piece of land for an event that happens at mot once every four years?

• The building It only takes up perhaps 1/6 of the lot, I guess some of the land could be redeveloped as offices later

Agreed on both fronts...

Is is too late to have these designs modified for possible future expansion? Do we have a contact that we could ask further questions? Please and thank you!

It looks like a big bus terminal which is basically what it is. A visitor center should be shoehorned into an attraction, such as Green Square. Since Green Square is moving, then a downtown branch of the Museum of Art comes to mind, or my idea of moving the Seaboard building to this block, letting it be an annex to the Museum of History, and then also incorporate new-building expansions of the museum of history into the block too. Historic exhibits are great outdoor kids activities...something like the CSS Neuse in Kinston comes to mind but it could be anything.

The State continues to look at its build out in terms of a giant office park campus. Hell, I am almost of the opinion that government should shrink itself down to museums and politicians only downtown, and build that campus out by the RBC Center and then gradually sell off its land to smart urban developers over the years. No more State employees complaining about parking, free up taxable land in the core where its most valuable, and in time get rid of the after 5pm dead zone around the State complex. I know its completely never going to happen and probably isn't a good idea at all, but those selling points kind of make sense....especially the last 2. State employees don't eat out for lunch much anyway(me and jojo being exceptions) with the several cafeterias in the State buildings. (Dobbs, Education, Archdale, Legislature..others?)

• 7 months later...

That's the site where the old Meredith College once stood, isn't it?

If so, that block will finally be getting a tenant, what, forty years after the beautiful old Meredith building was demolished to make way for new development??

Yeah thats it. So hard to believe such iconic buildings get torn down. Maybe the Bar will give us something decent....I think its also noteworthy that their vacating the Fayetteville Street space leaves a storefront there for actual retail if and when we get to needing more such spaces...

• 2 years later...

visitorscenter1.jpg

visitorscenter2.jpg

It looks like this project has begun. Construction fencing is up and work has begun. Does anyone know if the project is still the same as rendered?

Also, what ever happened to the new State Bar headquarters building mentioned in the above post?

• 4 weeks later...

It looks like this project has begun. Construction fencing is up and work has begun. Does anyone know if the project is still the same as rendered?

Also, what ever happened to the new State Bar headquarters building mentioned in the above post?

I think the construction that you're seeing IS the State Bar headquarters, not the visitor's center. http://dtraleigh.com/2011/12/new-nc-state-bar-hq-construction-begins-deals-final-blow-to-former-baptist-university/

• 2 years later...

SOrry...found the actual State Government thread...anyway, the State Records Center on Blount St appears to be moving out near Trader Joes based on an email I just received. Makes me hopeful that maybe some of the gov's other changes mentioned could happen. 

I think I am in the minority on this, but I like the Archdale. I wish they would just remodel the interior and add a couple living walls to the east and west facing sides instead of tearing it down. Isn't Parks & Rec HQ'ed there? The living walls would definitely fit in with that department. 

I don't hate it either...I'd salvage it with the things ya'll note plus putting Wilmington and Salisbury back in their old spots and putting a building, connected to the Archdale, that fronts Peace in between the new/old Wilmington/Salisbury alignment. This building would be my visitor's center with big broad stairs facing Peace, a bus alley between Archdale and it, and a wide skybridge connecting the Archdale ground floor to the visitor center second floor. Archdale's ground floor would be an exhibit hall, with say pics and bios of all of the State's governor's. Then I'd build a promenade across the big lawn straight to the Legislature as stop 2 on a visitor's tour. I'd also have a new legislative office building west of the legislature, adjacent and behind the Admin building (where the governor's office is) and build them a sky bridge across Salisbury to the Legislature and a parking deck between this new LOB and Admin with ground level retail facing Salisbury. Apologies...I think about his way too much on lunch breaks. Since I'm on a roll, I'd also move the Seaboard building to Edenton St next to the History Museum as a History Building Annex, then put knew a new building along Salisbury where Seaboard is now (for State Police say and other consolidated stuff) and another building across from that between Dobbs and the LOB since it looks like at least Dobbs was designed to have a building butting up next to it (Dobbs also lacks a front entrance and functions with essentially three different side entrances, so this building can become the 'front' for both. 

• 3 months later...

Dealing with the State of North Carolina.is something that will try your patients.  In Charlotte the state has a building at Trade & Graham.  They had to put a covered sidewalk around the building, so when the bricks fall off the building, the will not hit a person on the head.

It is nice being the Capital city, but there is a price you have pay for having to deal with state government.

@ RiverwoodCLT

"It is nice being the Capital city, but there is a price you have pay for having to deal with state government."

I think you mean, the price you pay for dealing with the State Legislature? The "State Government" is only as good/bad as those whom have made the rules and regulations.(and there are lots of them I agree) ;-)

Archived