Flint Streetcars

dtown

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flint had a streetcar that went down Saginaw Street. It was part of an extensive interurban system that existed throughout Michigan. The interurban line followed Woodward Avenue out of Detroit, through Ferndale, Royal Oak, Birmingham, and Pontiac before heading up to Flint. From Flint, the interurban continued north to Saginaw. Similarly, the Grand River line started in downtown Detroit (Capitol Park) and continued out of the city along Grand River Avenue, through Lansing, and then Grand Rapids.

Beyond the Saginaw Street line, I am not sure what other lines, if any, existed in Flint. Maybe some other forumers will be able to shed some light on this.

They Flint Journal did an article on the streetcars in Flint about 10 years ago. I still have it saved somewhere. If I can find it, I will post it. If I remember correctly, the last streetcars in Flint stopped running in 1935.

how cool, it would be awesome if they put in some sort of modern street car system in downtown

unfrotunatly there is no where near enough density in Flint to do this. My grandparents tell me about riding the trolleys downtown. Man if only I had seen those days I would have been in heaven.

how cool, it would be awesome if they put in some sort of modern street car system in downtown

I know to some, it may sound a little cheezy but Kalamazoo built a replica streetcar out of a small bus and it looks just like the old-school ones in that picture with the railings and outdoor access and everything. During the summer and fall, on Thrusday through Saturday evenings and nights it rolls through downtown and makes stops to pick people up and drop people off just like a city bus would do. During that same time of the year, there are also horse carriges going all around downtown giving people rides. You might not be able to have a actual streetcar system but you could have the next closest thing in a look alike streetcar that drives. I think that would be a cool thing to have downtown Flint. :thumbsup:

Archived