Nimbys keep Tallahassee Small

TD

I must say that was the most civil exchange of differing ideas that I've seen on these boards thus far. I've learned alot from you two, Poonther, and RelientJ.

Thanks, TJ!

Hey RJ you must have lived near Park and Crest or Park and Broward??? I love the infill housing that K2 put up in that area. Heck I tend to like all that K2 has done...I just wish they'd break ground soon on their condo at Park and Meridian.

I lived in the neighborhood that Broward cuts through. I definitely agree with you about K2. They're my favorite Tallahassee developer.

• 3 months later...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And now for the "nut" point of view...

There is a lot of talk on this forum about "progress" and "development". From where I sit, both of those words seem to somehow revolve around people making money from buying and selling property. I've never gotten much back in terms of the quality of life from the money we, as citizens spend on all the infrastructure required to support sprawl development.

The word NIMBY is a nice way to trivalize the real concerns that neighbors have about the impact of "progress" (see above) on their lives. I'm all in favor of hearing from the folks who are going to bear the brunt of progress by having more traffic, noise, streetlights, crime, etc. My advice is to figure out where you live. Get to know your neighbors, invite them over for a pot luck. Have a block party. Go enmass to the commission meetings when you're about to be screwed over just to make a buck for someone who is giving nothing back.

That doesn't mean that I'm opposed to development. Far from it. I profit from development and would be dishonest to oppose it.

We just need to develop in our best interst instead of the interest of folks who are out to extract money from us and move on.

For extra credit, do you know where, within a few blocks of the Capital building, there are still some of the old city tram tracks still visible?

Part of the issue is the fact that in many areas, the most active people living in these neighborhoods are still thinking that this is the city of 50,000 that they movet to back in 1973. That ship has long since sailed past. If we continued to develop the area in that manner, all the land not in the forests or in a lake would very quickly be developed. That's not desireable, especially when good land is available for revevelopment withn a 5 minute drive of the capital but is being bogged down by perception (in parts of the southside) or Nimbyism (in parts of Frenchtown). It is better to plan and build with the understanding that no matter what we try to do to limit growth, the people from other areas of the country will still stream into Florida and will need a place to live, preferably that is affordable to them and to those living here currently.

Part of the issue is the fact that in many areas, the most active people living in these neighborhoods are still thinking that this is the city of 50,000 that they movet to back in 1973. That ship has long since sailed past. If we continued to develop the area in that manner, all the land not in the forests or in a lake would very quickly be developed. That's not desireable, especially when good land is available for revevelopment withn a 5 minute drive of the capital but is being bogged down by perception (in parts of the southside) or Nimbyism (in parts of Frenchtown). It is better to plan and build with the understanding that no matter what we try to do to limit growth, the people from other areas of the country will still stream into Florida and will need a place to live, preferably that is affordable to them and to those living here currently.

You're right. Cities change. People come (too damn many of them, I think) and leave. Land use planning, permitting, concurcency, zoning, etc. is one way that governments can actually make life better for the residents of a community. I'm glad that the residents of Frenchtown express their outrage when another bit of "progress" is imposed on them. The message to developers is design and promote your projects in a way that adds value to neighborhoods instead of tearing them apart.

Speaking of progress, I've been hearing about that new prison camp being planned for the panhandle. I got a great idea. Let's do an eminent domain and put it on the golf course property at Golden Eagle. Think about it. It's already gated and guarded and that clubhouse would make a great administration building. Maybe we can work out a deal to lease out the prisioners to do yard work for the surrounding community. It sounds like a "win-win" to me.

Speaking of progress, I've been hearing about that new prison camp being planned for the panhandle. I got a great idea. Let's do an eminent domain and put it on the golf course property at Golden Eagle. Think about it. It's already gated and guarded and that clubhouse would make a great administration building. Maybe we can work out a deal to lease out the prisioners to do yard work for the surrounding community. It sounds like a "win-win" to me.

Problem is that most of those people in Killearn Lakes are politically active, so if that happened, my office would have to deal with it, and the state and county would be hung up in litigation for way too long.

Problem is that most of those people in Killearn Lakes are politically active, so if that happened, my office would have to deal with it, and the state and county would be hung up in litigation for way too long.

So let's do development in a neighborhood where people have less money to contribute to political campaigns and a lot less standing before the commission. Hey, I know. How about the southside. Those people are poor and don't really count with the commissioners. We'll sell it to them by talking about new jobs and better stores and better roads. They'll buy into it because it's the dream. They'll end up with the same problems that those more politically powerful folks in Golden Eagle were smart enough to avoid. The main thing is that the land will get sold so the relators and title companies and banks all make money, and the buiilding contractors and road builders and utility contractors will all make money. Maybe it's not a win for the people on the southside, but us rich folks are making money so it's all good.

What I said came out wrong. Realistically, putting a jail in any residential neighborhood, whether it's Golden Eagle or on the Southside would be an issue, since the safety concerns of having someone escape from said jail and terrorize the neighborhood would be enough to keep it from happening. This is one of those rare uses that I can deal with being as far away from people as is reasonably possible without further extending the infrastructure already in place, and preferably staffed with people who hunt and fish in the woods and streams surrounding said prision, so they would know all the places an escaped convict would hide. In other words, the prision would wind up in Gulf, Franklin, or Gadsden County, not in Leon.

Archived