Thinking about moving to Virginia

Davidpalmer

I have never visted Virginia except for when I spent a day at King's Domion, but I have driven through it many times, and have liked what Ive seen. Im here in Tx and will be graduating college in May, and would like to relocate and experience something new. Ive always thought about moving to either North Carolina or Virginia, but had some questions first about Virginia.

1. How is the weather during the winter months, does it snow and if so how much. I think cold weather is what keeps me in the south.

2. Would I be able to afford a nice apartment(1 bedroom) in a nice area for anywhere from $700-$1000 or Im I out of my mind.

3. I don't want to live in an area to small, so I was thinking either Virginia Beach/Norfolk/Richmond. I don't want to live in a city where I will run into the same people every time Im out

4. Im not into clubs and bars, however, I do like museums along with concerts and plays, does Virginia get a fair amount coming in each year.

5. How are race relations in the major cities of the state. I would like to be in a place where all races interact

6. Im coming from a state with no state income tax, and I assume Virginia does, Im I right

7. How are the people of Virginia, do they accept others not from the area or are they the type to keep to themselves.

8. What are some of the fun things to do in the 3 cities I mentioned earlier.

9. Do people tend to lean to the conservative side or the liberal side. I know Republican George Allen is one of the Senators from VA.

I plan on taking a trip to Virginia the week following my graduation in the middle of May to check out either Richmond or Norfolk, and Ive already started applying to different places. I would like to have moved by mid summer. As you can see Ive for the most part have made up my mind about moving, since I figure its better to take the risk now, than later when I may have wife and kids. I just wanted to get a better feel for the state as a whole, and the major cities specifically. Feel free to add whatever else you think I should know

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First Welcome, and I think that you are on the right path by trying to come and visit. We can't really tell you what is best for you. Experience is the key i guess.Each metro in the state is different and has different cultures.Also don't forget to check Northern Va. out.

First Welcome, and I think that you are on the right path by trying to come and visit. We can't really tell you what is best for you. Experience is the key i guess.Each metro in the state is different and has different cultures.Also don't forget to check Northern Va. out.

Im not asking anyone to tell me what is best for me, but I had questions that I wanted to have answered that would help me make my decision. I thought about NOVA, but heard it was really expensive to live.

David, good luck to you as you finish school! I lived in the Norfolk area for 22 years (1982-2004). I'll respond as well as I can to each question.

1. The weather varies quite a bit from one end of VA to another. It's a temperate zone so you experience all four seasons. In Norfolk the average high in January is about 48 degrees. Norfolk averages 7 inches of snow each year. Richmond is a bit cooler and gets a bit more snow. Summers are warm, with Norfolk's average July high in the mid 80s. Richmond is warmer.

2. I don't feel qualified to answer that. The last time I rented in Norfolk was in 2004. I shared a 2-BR and paid about $550. Things are probably a bit higher now. Check craigslist!

3. Norfolk/VB is population 1.7 mil, Richmond 1.1 mil. Both have a decent size. Northern Va has over 2 mil.

4. VA is no NY or DC when it comes to museums and "culture." Norfolk is home to the VA Symphony, VA Opera, several small theaters and playhouses, and a decent art museum. Richmond has more museums for history buffs. Speaking of history, Jamestown, Yorktown and Williamsburg are between Norfolk and Richmond.

5. VA isn't Mississippi. Race relations are quite good, IMO. Norfolk is mostly a white & black city. Hispanic and Asian populations are quite small. Despite that I think I remember Norfolk being designated one of the most racially integrated cities in the US a couple years ago. It's not like DC where ALL the white people live in one small area. Can't remember the source. Northern VA has a very large Asian population.

6. Yes, VA has a state income tax.

7. Norfolk and Northern VA are very transient areas. Lots of people aren't from either place. Richmond receives new residents too, but it seems more stable.

8. Norfolk - waterfront festivals, some good museums, nice old neighborhoods, nightlife minor league sports.

Va Beach - Beach, also lots of festivals, marine science museum, outdoor activities

Richmond - LOTS of older neighborhoods with some hip shopping areas, nightlife.

Northern VA - multicultural neighborhoods, high-end but suburban shopping, proximity to DC

9. VA tends to lean right. Both senators are Republicans. The governor is a Democrat. The cities are blue, the suburban and rural areas (majority of the state) are red.

Where in TX are you from? Your opinion of VA would probably be very different if you're arriving from Austin or from brushfire land.

Thank you Lammius on the info. By what you said everything seems good and what Ive heard from others. I guess I will have to get use to the snow, which is something Ive never encountered being born and raised in San Antonio. By what you said I think I will look more in the direction of Norfolk. Isn't it only a couple of hours away from Virginia beach?

Welcome to Virginia, wherever you end up, but let's see how I do...

1. The thing I like about Virginia is having 4 distinct seasons. Winters are cold but for the most part mild. Lammius said Norfolk receives about 9 inches of snow annually; Richmond receives about 12. Norfolk's winters will be milder due to its location on the water, but Richmond's not much different. Keep in mind that summer's are hot and humid. I'm assuming San Antonio has a dry heat, but I could be wrong.

2. You could definitely rent an apartment for your price range in the Richmond area, urban or suburban. Some places will be pricier than others, but there's plenty of options for you. I'm sure the Norfolk area is very comparable in terms of rent. Northern Virginia is a different story there :lol:

3. Richmond's metro area is approaching 1.2 million, while the Hampton Roads metro (Norfolk and Va. Beach included) has around 1.7 million.

4. Virginia is rich in cultural attractions. I'm not sure exactly which types of museums or music you prefer, but I know Richmond offers a wide array of attractions for you (I'm sure Norfolk does as well, but I can't really name them all). Richmond is home to the Richmond Symphony, Virginia Opera, Richmond Ballet, and multiple playhouses. Just to name a few museums... Science Museum of Virginia, Virginia Museum of Fine Arts (currently undergoing a $165 million expansion), Virginia Historical Society, Richmond Civil War Center at Tredegar Iron Works, etc etc etc. For a full list and more info on Richmond, check out the city profile in the Richmond section. Richmond's also a short drive to Jamestown and Williamsburg, and 2 hours from the endless cultural attractions of the nation's capital. There's also great cultural attraction in Hampton Roads (Norfolk area) as well.

5. I think for the most part, Virginia's major cities racially interact fairly well. The Richmond and Norfolk areas are mostly white/black, though there is a rise in hispanics as well. Northern Virginia is much more diverse and probably the most racially integrated place in the state.

6. Correct....

7. I'd say everywhere in Virginia is accepting of outsiders. People from up north probably get jabs here and there, but coming from Texas I doubt you'd notice much. Richmond, Norfolk, and Nova are all welcoming thousands of out of town/state newcomers every year.

8. Richmond has some great annual festivals... for example, Richmond is currently hosting the National Folk Festival which is expected to draw over 100,000 people this year. There's also tons of great food festivals, and festivals for all kinds of other occasions. If you like outdoor/adventure activities, Richmond has a ton to offer (for example, its the only U.S. city with class IV rapids running through it)...if you are curious, let me know and I'll mention more. It's got great museums and other cultural attractions. It has more retail per capita than any other city in the country, and there's a good amount of upscale retailers in the region. 2 upscale malls opened in 2003. You're also in a great strategic location... 1-2 hours from the mountains, 2 hours from the beach, and 2 hours from DC. Talk about day/weekend trips! Plus, the awesome James River is in your backyard!

There's also plenty to do in NOVA and Norfolk/Virginia Beach!

9. IMO, Virginia tends to be right-leaning. Lammius explained it pretty well. I think Virginia is starting to become more moderate.

Richmond and Norfolk aren't that far apart... it couldn't hurt to check them both out! Good luck and if you have any other questions, go for it!

Great replies, guys. Also, Va Beach is only 20-30 mins away from Norfolk depending where you are in Norfolk where you to want to get to in Va Beach.

Yeah, I was thinking about that, but then again Richmond is closer to DC, say if I wanted to go up there for a weekend visit or something. Im looking at jobs for both cities at the moment because there is no question Im moving to one of the 2 cities. My plan is to be in Virginia, by July.

My cousin is stationed at Langley

Yeah, I was thinking about that, but then again Richmond is closer to DC, say if I wanted to go up there for a weekend visit or something. Im looking at jobs for both cities at the moment because there is no question Im moving to one of the 2 cities. My plan is to be in Virginia, by July.

My cousin is stationed at Langley

Just to give perspective, you can get to D.C. in 1 1/2 hrs from Richmond and 3 hrs from Norfolk. Neither drive is very long. Norfolk/Virginia beach is much more of a coastal region. There is lots of waterfront. Richmond might be more familiar to you being from San Antonio.

Virginia is a progressive state yet it retains its historical roots. The economy in most of the states largest metro areas are good so employment should not be an issue. Virgina is also a low taxed state in general and cost of living is reasonable in most areas. The climate varys quite a bit; northern virginia tends to be like in the same boat as Philadelphia and New York while southside Virginia (near the NC border) is more NC/SC climate like.

Good luck in your search of finding the right place in the Old Dominion state!

I also have been recently thinking about moving toward VA, more toward about Richmond once I graduate from college in May. It seems to be a lot more interesting than where I go to college (45 minutes north of Baltimore in Southern PA) and significantly more affordable to where my parents live. I have been thinking about maybe going down to check it up durning my next break coming up in April but i'll see how things work out.

I also have been recently thinking about moving toward VA, more toward about Richmond once I graduate from college in May. It seems to be a lot more interesting than where I go to college (45 minutes north of Baltimore in Southern PA) and significantly more affordable to where my parents live. I have been thinking about maybe going down to check it up durning my next break coming up in April but i'll see how things work out.

my springbreak was last week, I wish I would have went up there then, but oh well. I defiantely plan on going up the week after I graduate for a few days. Drive around the city, get a feel for everything and do some site seeing. One of the things I like about Richmond is the fact it is only like an hour and a half from DC. I also like the size of Richmond, which is more my style than a major city like Chicago or NYC. I think relocating for a young person is a good thing and can give them a better perspective in life. I figure I might as well do it while Im young, w/o family then to try once I have a family.

You cross posted this in 3 other forums I am going to close and delete them. Please read our rules.

Can you please clarify I tried pming you but Im not allowed, each thread was about a different city I just used the same questions, instead of saying read the rules, which I did, and still don't know what I did wrong

Can you please clarify I tried pming you but Im not allowed, each thread was about a different city I just used the same questions, instead of saying read the rules, which I did, and still don't know what I did wrong

We do not allow cross posting. We have close to 8000 users on this site, what if everyone did what you did? Also we generally don't want posts asking about relocation information. That is stated in the rules as well. We would rather you search the information that is already posted here and ask relevant questions about that rather than post a bunch of questions, that for the most part have already been answered numerous times. This is why we provide several methods for search. Most people don't really care to read it over and over.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
I have never visted Virginia except for when I spent a day at King's Domion, but I have driven through it many times, and have liked what Ive seen. Im here in Tx and will be graduating college in May, and would like to relocate and experience something new. Ive always thought about moving to either North Carolina or Virginia, but had some questions first about Virginia.

1. How is the weather during the winter months, does it snow and if so how much. I think cold weather is what keeps me in the south.

2. Would I be able to afford a nice apartment(1 bedroom) in a nice area for anywhere from $700-$1000 or Im I out of my mind.

3. I don't want to live in an area to small, so I was thinking either Virginia Beach/Norfolk/Richmond. I don't want to live in a city where I will run into the same people every time Im out

4. Im not into clubs and bars, however, I do like museums along with concerts and plays, does Virginia get a fair amount coming in each year.

5. How are race relations in the major cities of the state. I would like to be in a place where all races interact

6. Im coming from a state with no state income tax, and I assume Virginia does, Im I right

7. How are the people of Virginia, do they accept others not from the area or are they the type to keep to themselves.

8. What are some of the fun things to do in the 3 cities I mentioned earlier.

9. Do people tend to lean to the conservative side or the liberal side. I know Republican George Allen is one of the Senators from VA.

I plan on taking a trip to Virginia the week following my graduation in the middle of May to check out either Richmond or Norfolk, and Ive already started applying to different places. I would like to have moved by mid summer. As you can see Ive for the most part have made up my mind about moving, since I figure its better to take the risk now, than later when I may have wife and kids. I just wanted to get a better feel for the state as a whole, and the major cities specifically. Feel free to add whatever else you think I should know

Archived