Greenville Annexation

gs3

Well it IS good to know that companies do their homework. I guess another example of this would be Carmax. The Greenville store was here for about 5 years before Cola got theirs. They go largely on population base (of a region). I guess I was thinking more of the general populace however. Most people go by the skyline and city pops when judging a cities size. It would be nice to get over the 100k mark, if for no other reason than the noticeability. Cities over 100k are considered by most people to be on a higher level, just because of that designation. These cities names are larger on maps and globes, get more attn from travel books, etc. None of this matters to us because we all know better, and actually look beyond those designations. Probably 98% of people don't. That said, I agree with your points gsupstate and skyliner. They are well made.

I may be weird, but that's the part I love. People come to Greenville for meetings or conventions, not knowing much about the place and not expecting much and are then BLOWN away by the city!!! I've talked to soooooo many visitors on my Saturday and Sunday dog walks who simply can't get over it. I've never heard one visitor be negative about Greenville. It's always "this is so much more than we expected......we're coming back". Word of mouth is the best advertisement (98% of ths US doesn't even know how to read a map :D). My first trip here to look over the city left me with my mouth open in amazement and that's all she wrote....I live here now and have employees here. :D

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Imagine how much greater the exposure would be if Greenville had a downtown convention center.

Probably not much different. With the Hyatt and Westin Hotels downtown, most people in for a covention at the Palmetto may attend the convention a mile or so from downtown during the day, but stay downtown and hang out downtown at night. The first thing the city promotes when landing a convention is downtown. Downtowns reputation is fully established! :thumbsup: Additionally though, it isn't just Greenville's downtown that blows people away....it's many other areas of the city and mainly the incredible attitude of it's ciizens that permeate ALL areas of the city. :D

• 3 years later...
Just to clarify, someone said Greer's city limit area was now larger than Greenville's. Not true Greenville's area is app 27 square miles while Greer's is 21. I still don't understand how the annexation laws/restrictions inhibit Greenville so much, when surrounding suburbsS'ville, Mauldin, Greer seem to be annexing all the time. What would be Greenville's population if it included everyone who has a Greenville mailing address? What would be Greenville's population if the city limits went out to White Horse Rd, Pleasantburg, I-85, all the way out E. North and Pelham? Probably 300k in each scenario. Still find it funny that the city limit on the north side only goes to Channel 4 on Rutherford St.

The cities that have been successful, have had some sort of leverage that allowed them get around the difficult annexation laws.

With Greer and certain others, the leverage is that annexatoin is required to receive sewer service. Lots are too small to use septic tanks these days, so public sewer is a must. The developer of a new subdivision really doesn't have any choice but to annex. The areas around Greenville are either served by other public sewers or they do not have to annex to get sewer service.

Charleston has a 1 cent sales tax that is used as a credit to reduce city property taxes. Those living outside the city get services from a Public Service District that does not share in the sales tax proceeds. This allows Charleston to offer services for less than the PSD residents receive. Also, Charleston has always been very aggressive about annexation to boot. BTW, Charleston is at 110 square miles currently. Much of that 110 sq. miles is undeveloped land that will eventually develop over time. As such, their population is practically guaranteed to grow significantly for decades to come.

Columbia's size is inflated because it annexed the 88 square miles of Fort Jackson decades ago. However, there are no property taxes collected from the Fort and it cannot be developed. Columbia adopted the 1 cent sales tax, but it was much more recent that Charleston.

Simposonville and Mauldin I believe have a similiar sitution where costs are lower than living outside and paying for private garbage service and out-of-city water rates.

Ah, the hospitality tax, in that case, you're right :)

Cities are able to levy the hospitality tax too. I think most medium to large cities in South Carolina have it.

Only counties can tax for transportation purposes, so for the moment Charleston and York are the only counties to levy a sales tax for transportation.

• 2 months later...

The Caledon Woods apartment complex on Pelham Road is asking the City to be annexed. The land is 24.3 acres and consists of 15 apartment buildings. Planning Commission

This seems like positive news for the City of Greenville. I'm not sure how many units this will bring into the City, but every little bit helps establish a truer representation of size. :thumbsup:

Well it would probably add a few hundred. It would be nice if they could annex all the appt complexes in the area. Perhaps Caledon will start something of a trend! :D

Someone may have mentioned this before but I have always thought that a big pitch should be made to the residents of Montebello for annexation. It is already right there beside city limits, and they would add somewhere between 1k and 2k residents I would think (not to mention a good new tax base).

Archived