Nashville: What do you think of?

jice

This is just a general discussion... I'm curious to know what everyone thinks of when they hear Nashville. What's the first thing that comes to mind when you hear someone mention it? What was the first thing that came to mind when you read the title of this topic? What do you think the majority of your city or town thinks/feels when they hear Nashville talked about? Also, if you don't mind... could you mention which part of the country or world you are from, if its not listed on your profile?

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First thought is country music followed by the grand ole opry. I know this is stereotypical and most people from Nashville may cringe when they think that's all people consider when they think of Nashville. I live in Orlando and cringe when people only associate it with Disney. I'm sorry to say I didn't know Nashville had a hockey team until this past year and I thought the Titans were in Memphis until this past year as well. I'm not a hockey fan and I'm just a fair weather football fan when my favorite team makes the playoffs. It's really through this forum that I've learned about Nashville. My niece moved to Nashville last year and seems to like it. That's when I started looking at the Nashville forum info. Just wanted to see what the city was like. It seems like Nashville is a city flying below the radar just waiting to emrge onto the national scene. I'm looking forward to visiting in the next year or so. I'd like to see your signature tower get built and check out a baseball game when the Sounds have their new stadium built.

Another thing I wonder... do you think most people in your city/town automatically think of Nashville, TN? Even if there is another Nashville close by? I am originally from IL, and we have another Nashville about an hour away. Nashville, TN, in my opinion, is the one people are talking about most of the time when they mention Nashville... even though its like 3 times further away than the one in IL.

Another thing I wonder... do you think most people in your city/town automatically think of Nashville, TN? Even if there is another Nashville close by? I am originally from IL, and we have another Nashville about an hour away. Nashville, TN, in my opinion, is the one people are talking about most of the time when they mention Nashville... even though its like 3 times further away than the one in IL.

I can say that down here people seem to really love Nashville, and you never hear the state designation after the city. I have heard a couple of somewhat tongue in cheek complaints about theft of sports team and country stars. However you realize the strong historical connection between TX and TN what with the Alamo; and having the only governor in common in US history, Sam H., namesake of my current hometown.

Country music, Grand Ole Opry, and that tornado that went through downtown a few years ago.

Seems a bit too country-ish (obviously) for me.. but I'm sure it has it's own kind of charm.

How generous, how patronising-- let them stake their little claim to their own kind of "charm". Why the "obviously"? How many "country-ish" metros of 1.5 mil you think exist?

You know how many 4-year institutions of higher learning are in Nashville and within a 40 mile radius? Answer: 19, 8 of them universities, and two medical schools. Yes, let the people of the area walk around thinking charming country-ish thoughts, since this is what's expected up in Minnesota of them. All the kids get up in the morning certain of their obligation to project a "country-ish" charm, and think about it all day. All the area's 70,000 college students are busy cracking the books on the history of "country".

Oh - guess what -- just read that my alma mater, in Nashville, broke into the top 15 U.S. research universities in funding. You have one of these top 15 in Minnesota? If so, great. If not, just surmise that your state gets by just fine without all of that "country" research money.

How generous, how patronising-- let them stake their little claim to their own kind of "charm". Why the "obviously"? How many "country-ish" metros of 1.5 mil you think exist?

Stop being so abrasive to the other forumers here. Read the question that was asked. You are out of line.

You know how many 4-year institutions of higher learning are in Nashville and within a 40 mile radius? Answer: 19, 8 of them universities, and two medical schools. Yes, let the people of the area walk around thinking charming country-ish thoughts, since this is what's expected up in Minnesota of them. All the kids get up in the morning certain of their obligation to project a "country-ish" charm, and think about it all day. All the area's 70,000 college students are busy cracking the books on the history of "country".

Oh - guess what -- just read that my alma mater, in Nashville, broke into the top 15 U.S. research universities in funding. You have one of these top 15 in Minnesota? If so, great. If not, just surmise that your state gets by just fine without all of that "country" research money.

I guess Nashville has some work to do on it's marketing program! Because apparently being the famous country-music capital of the country pales in comparison to the glory of having 70,000 college students and a top 15 research institution.

Please, take your overblown reaction down a notch.

Everyone's opinion is welcome and appreciated as far as i'm concerned... the whole idea was to see what the rest of the country's perception of Nashville is... especially those that don't know that much about it or live close to it.

I did learn a thing or two about Nashville from dragonfly's posts though... sorry 'bout the football team by the way :P

I think of country music. I also think of a progressive city that is known throughout the globe.

For whatever reason, I also think a lot of presidents are from there, but it might just be Tennessee in general and not specifically Nashville.

Also, for whatever reason, I always that of that huge-radius second beltway since I saw it on the map.

Oh, and the batman building.

DuBone, I can only think of two presidents from Nashville, Andrew Jackson and Andrew Johnson, and James K Polk is also from TN but not Nashville. Hopefully we'll have another with Bill Frist. I do think he would be a good president.

OFF TOPIC: James K Polk was born in Mecklenburg County, NC.

And not to get political, but we're doomed if Bill "tears and sweat will give you AIDS" Frist is elected to the office of President.

I also think of a progressive city that is known throughout the globe.

do you think this is from country music or something else? or maybe a combination? and miesian, i definatly agree, that is one nashvillian that i hope never gets elected. the thought just gives me the willies.

I just got back from Nashville today. It's a great town to visit with plenty to do.

I'm sure most people who have heard of the town around the globe have probably heard of it from country music and the Grand Ole Opry. Obviously, there's much more to the town than that, though.

It seems like Bill Frist has done a lot in the town (or at least his name is on a lot of things). What's the story behind this?

I mainly think of country music, even though I have visited Nashville once and did some pub-crawling downtown to some great "non-country" live music joints. Lately, I have read that Nashville has been getting a lot of good press for corporate relocations. But inevitably, country music.

Archived