Nashville: What do you think of?

jice

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems like Bill Frist has done a lot in the town (or at least his name is on a lot of things). What's the story behind this?

it's not so much bill, but the entire frist family. they own hca which is based here. they have a lot of money to put their name on things.

great pics of the trip btw!

RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNN!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

I'm not too fond of Nashville, its like the gateway to something far far worse.

why is this? i'm not upset or anything, just curious about why nashville gives you this vibe.

Having grown up in Memphis decades ago, I always thought of Nashville in terms of it being the state capital, the center of country music/Grand Ole Opry, and Vanderbilt.

Living in Minnesota, the Southeast seems pretty much off the radar with the exception of Florida. When people here think outside the region, they tend to think of Arizona, the West Coast, and Colorado. Given that, I'd say they probably think of Nashville in terms of country music which is very popular up here.

it's not so much bill, but the entire frist family. they own hca which is based here. they have a lot of money to put their name on things.

great pics of the trip btw!

why is this? i'm not upset or anything, just curious about why nashville gives you this vibe.

Last time I was there I dunno, just kind of got a bad vibe from the place.

No shame in being associated with country music. LA is always linked with Hollywood and NYC is associated with Broadway; All American contributions to national popular culture. Nashville is also the bible publishing capitol of the country but is home to Vanderbilt and Fisk as well. Andrew JAckson lived just out of town. And those of us who know the PArthenon copy may at least think "Athens of the South". I have some cousins living in NAshville and I admit I like the town.

I also like that crazy carousel down by the river, that Red Grooms made a few years ago with Tennessee historical figures instead of horses. I understand that closed temporarily. What is going to happen to it?

Say what you will about country music, but any product that makes up the bulk of a $6.4 billion industry will be warmly welcomed by me. Who cares if people look down at Nashville for it when it's such an important industry? And it at least gives us some kind of international recognition.

• 1 month later...

Archived