Traffic Enforcement Cameras

Cotuit

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so i emailed the city through that form that cotuit said to use. they fixed 2 of the issues (turned on the crosswalk signals at river and eaton and fixed the timing on the traffic light at eaton and academy) and forwarded my issue with the light at river and smith to RIDOT because it's a state road. i'm surprised it got fixed in under a week.

so i emailed the city through that form that cotuit said to use. they fixed 2 of the issues (turned on the crosswalk signals at river and eaton and fixed the timing on the traffic light at eaton and academy) and forwarded my issue with the light at river and smith to RIDOT because it's a state road. i'm surprised it got fixed in under a week.

Remind me, what form is this?

- Garris

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here in Arizona traffic cameras are everywhere. We have them at most busy interesections (which seems to be every one), camera vans who position themselves in different parts of the city, and now we have fixed cameras on sections of roads. Starting around January Scottsdale added cameras to a busy section of the 101 freeway. When you get a ticket from a redlight or traffic camera the fine is the same as if it were given to you by a real cop. However you can go to court and and try and say it was not you which sometimes works.

The cameras have been in use here ever since I came to Arizona in 2000.

Just complained about trucks (Particularly Black Navigators all tinted out rolling on 24's) stopped in the right turn only lane on Atwells at Harris heading east which go straight on green, cutting off traffic, nearly sending a pedestrian to an early grave. I've absolutely had it with this bull sh!t.

Starting around January Scottsdale added cameras to a busy section of the 101 freeway. When you get a ticket from a redlight or traffic camera the fine is the same as if it were given to you by a real cop. However you can go to court and and try and say it was not you which sometimes works. The cameras have been in use here ever since I came to Arizona in 2000.

Fundamentally, the speed cameras are a racket. The company that makes them gets a cut, and Scottsdale makes money -- the program was supposed to pay for the cost of installation in a few months.

This has nothing to do with safety and everything to do with revenue -- it's what I call taxation by ticket.

Urb (Flagstaff, but outta here as soon as NAU cuts me loose)

Update on red light cameras.

http://www.projo.com/metro/content/projo_2...8.1cdac185.html

Besides the civil liberty issues, another issue bugs me about this. The fact that Providence is using a company from Texas when there is a company here in Providence that does this: Nestor Traffic Systems. From an article in the Projo, they are not doing too well.

Lot of talk on the board about why business would want to do business in Providence. Would be nice if we used local talent for this.

Note: Dont work and never have for Nestor.

Update on red light cameras.

http://www.projo.com/metro/content/projo_2...8.1cdac185.html

Besides the civil liberty issues, another issue bugs me about this. The fact that Providence is using a company from Texas when there is a company here in Providence that does this: Nestor Traffic Systems. From an article in the Projo, they are not doing too well.

Lot of talk on the board about why business would want to do business in Providence. Would be nice if we used local talent for this.

Note: Dont work and never have for Nestor.

sounds like they've been having problems with PC kids...

Valley Street northbound and southbound at River Avenue, in the Valley neighborhood (June 27); Eaton westbound at Huxley (Aug. 14); all four approaches at River and Smith (Aug. 25)

as for the eaton/huxley intersection... i think it's useless to have them only on eaton. they should have all 4 approaches there if they're going to do any. i am not a fan of the current one on eaton. i can speak from experience (of driving that way every morning) that the sun is blinding approaching that light, to the point where the light is many times hard to see.

i am absolutely appalled that there is a company that does this in providence and they're using a company from texas. that's like a slap in the face to local businesses in my opinion.

• 2 months later...

They were putting up the cameras at Steeple and Canal yesterday. I sooooo hope they are online now as I saw someone make a right on red from the center lane (in a no turn on red zone) when I was walking home today.

New camera is going in today at the intersection of Valley St and River Ave.

They should do a Mt. Pleasant Ave. and Chalkstone Ave. setup.

The light there turns green for about 6 seconds for Mt Pleasant and follows with an 8 second green light for Chalkstone. I time it coming down from Smith St on the way home from work. If I'm about 150 yards north of the intersection heading south when the light turns red, it will turn green by the time I cross Chalkstone at the A&B bodega.

Lots of people run it because they figure its ridiculous to get a green light that turns yellow within 5 seconds.

They were putting up the cameras at Steeple and Canal yesterday. I sooooo hope they are online now as I saw someone make a right on red from the center lane (in a no turn on red zone) when I was walking home today.

i think all the traffic camera intersections automatically become "no right on red" zones. the one at eaton and huxley is that way, which raelly sucks. they also screwed up the timing on the green for huxley, it lets 3 or 4 cars through before it changes, which sucks at 4:30 when the PC offices close.

They should do a Mt. Pleasant Ave. and Chalkstone Ave. setup.

The light there turns green for about 6 seconds for Mt Pleasant and follows with an 8 second green light for Chalkstone. I time it coming down from Smith St on the way home from work. If I'm about 150 yards north of the intersection heading south when the light turns red, it will turn green by the time I cross Chalkstone at the A&B bodega.

Lots of people run it because they figure its ridiculous to get a green light that turns yellow within 5 seconds.

see above, i think they've screwed up the timing on a lot of lights both where they put the cameras and where there are none. i used the neighborhood services website to complain about traffic light timing and they get fixed within 3 days, usually to my liking (and when they're not, i complain again, and they actually fix it again). in the past several months, they did some timing changes to the lights in the elmhurst/mt pleasant area... generally screwing up most of them.

• 3 months later...

Red light cameras are going up at the Service Roads and Atwells and Broadway (and maybe Washington and Westminster and Broad, I haven't been down that way lately to see). The one at Atwells and the east side Service Road may even be on already.

Archived