Grandview byways Park to be next gem for city

PghUSA

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06080/673824.stm

Great article on the momentum building up on Mt. Washington, voted the best urban vista in American by USAToday Weekend, the southside hilltop destination with such tourist friendly attractions as LeMont and the Duquesne overlook, just got a go-ahead grant from the Heinz endowments for the future park. Seems like they will tie in Grandview park and McKinley, as well as some of the overlooks already on the city side of the mountain. Should be a great assett to the "green city" image Pittsburgh is working on.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^Wanderer, haven't heard anything on restoration of the Troy Hill Incline, Pittsburgh with two inclines used to have many many more, I would guess around 50 in the county, with the vast majority of those in city limits, not all were as tourist friendly as the two remaining and many were simply for freight with no "shell". There is one or two sites on the web that lists all the inclines, though it escapes me now, there is some news about bringing back the Hill District Incline from the Strip District over Bigelow and up the Hill east of downtown, as reported by the Post-Gazette in the last few months, though I think it is in its ebroyonic stages and lacks major funding so far.

Archived